Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying rattle from rear of Tesla resolved.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had posted a week ago about an annoying rattle coming from the back. For the life of me I couldn't figure it out. I set up an appointment for service but after thinking about it I said damn it I'm gonna resolve this myself. So I cancelled the appointment. After 2 days of troubleshooting I finally found the culprit. It was where the rear seats latched into the back panel. Fold the seats down, no noise. There is a tiny little bit of movement when the seats are in upright position causing the the rattle as the metal pieces hit. Gonna fashion some kind of cushioning to place there when the seats are upright. Hope this helps someone else.

I had posted a week ago about an annoying rattle coming from the back. For the life of me I couldn't figure it out. I set up an appointment for service but after thinking about it I said damn it I'm gonna resolve this myself. So I cancelled the appointment. After 2 days of troubleshooting I finally found the culprit. It was where the rear seats latched into the back panel. Fold the seats down, no noise. There is a tiny little bit of movement when the seats are in upright position causing the the rattle as the metal pieces hit. Gonna fashion some kind of cushioning to place there when the seats are upright. Hope this helps someone else.
Just out of curiosity, did you notice any play in the seat latch when you were trying to ID this noise? I've also go an unknown noise from the rear and I've climbed into the back seat (while parked) and pushed and pulled on the rear seats to see if they had play and might rattle but they seemed pretty solid....

Just out of curiosity, did you notice any play in the seat latch when you were trying to ID this noise? I've also go an unknown noise from the rear and I've climbed into the back seat (while parked) and pushed and pulled on the rear seats to see if they had play and might rattle but they seemed pretty solid....

When it latches there is still some movement, ever so slight, so when you go over certain types of bumps it causes it to rattle. I searched the internet and found matching symptoms and same fix.

Would wrapping some tape around the bar portion the latch attaches to solve that by preventing metal hitting metal?

26F12501-DD72-49C4-A953-3510A6BD3048.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SammichLover

hey, check out my post here:
just left this feedback to Tesla

Service center identified the cause. I would get tapping noises from somewhere in the back. Originally I thought it might be some part of the harnesses from my kids seats. Or maybe a seatbelt buckle tapping some part of the car. Or loose cabling tapping the chassis of the car. Nope. It was the shifting of the trunk, and it was enough to tap that little screw. They put some teflon on top of it and the sound is gone. Feels like a new car again.

Reactions: Singularity
I'm bumping this again for feedback on my rattle.
It's similar to above -

A clicking/tap type rattle going over bumps etc......

I tried connecting latching all the rear seat belts - and still the rattle.
I tried wrapping the rear seat latches with a bit of cloth and then folding the rear seats back - still the rattle
When I fold down either (or both) of the rear seats - no rattle.
When someone sits in the back seat - no rattle.

any ideas?

Reactions: fiatlux
It's similar to above -

A clicking/tap type rattle going over bumps etc......

I tried wrapping the rear seat latches with a bit of cloth and then folding the rear seats back - still the rattle

any ideas?
Same symptoms here. Noticed that the back of the left rear seat, under the carpet layer, seems to have loose plastic sounds easily discernible if you tap on the carpet. Do you have the same? I'm thinking that might be the issue, unless it's local to my car...

Reactions: Singularity
It's similar to above - A clicking/tap type rattle going over bumps etc......

any ideas?
Rear seat bottom not fully secured? Plastic mounting rattling?

Reactions: CFdriver
I have exactly the same where it's quiet when the seats are folded and metal squeaking when upright. It's driving me crazy. At first i thought it was the suspension but folding the seats tell me it's gotta be seat related. I've already applied electrical tape to the upper hinge, no luck. I'm suspecting bottom hinge for the seat back or the 4 bars under the bench.
Please!!!! Anyone with a fix??

Reactions: Macrox
the left rear seat, under the carpet layer,
I agree, hard plastic touching metal sound, I silicone them together.
Also each latch has 2 rounded head bolts which are touching the rear plastic shelf (like a little hammer pinging on a sound board), I insulate them too, all 4 of them.
My rattles only resonate at some types of road surface and at a certain speed. They are all gone now.
M3 2019 SR+

Same symptoms here. Noticed that the back of the left rear seat, under the carpet layer, seems to have loose plastic sounds easily discernible if you tap on the carpet. Do you have the same? I'm thinking that might be the issue, unless it's local to my car...
I have the same loose plastic sound from the back of the rear driver side seat. Not sure if that's what's making the sound when I go over bumps, but did you get yours resolved?