Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another example of the world's worst customer service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
I was on the road and hit a rock, damaging one of the wheels. I pulled over to the side of the road (squealing coming from the right rear), opened the Tesla app, and attempted to contact roadside service. It took about 30 minutes before a person responded. After another 30 minutes, with some back and forth about getting towed to a service center, I received this response:

1658659811508.png

The way Tesla treats its customers is absolutely horrible.

I was on the road and hit a rock, damaging one of the wheels. I pulled over to the side of the road (squealing coming from the right rear), opened the Tesla app, and attempted to contact roadside service. It took about 30 minutes before a person responded. After another 30 minutes, with some back and forth about getting towed to a service center, I received this response:

View attachment 832193

Wow, that's pretty disgraceful. Did you try calling the roadside assistance number as well?

Yup always have Roadside Assistance from your insurance company..

At least with State Farm, if you utilize their Roadside Assistance it will count as a claim. Three claims in three years no matter if not at fault, comp claim, window chip, etc….still counts as a State Farm claim and then you are subject to non-renewal or rate increase. My Agent told me explicitly not to have towing or rental car coverage for this reason. He said if State Farm has to pay any money out, it counts as a claim. I’ve had a window replacement, a window chip repair, and a not at fault accident where a guy with no insurance hit my car in a parking garage. I got a letter shortly after from State Farm. I’ve never had a ticket or an accident, and I’m 50 years old.

A more proper response from Tesla would have been that they are sorry but do not have any towing services available in your area of need. Please contact a towing company directly, and send us the bill for reimbursement.
Tesla roadside assistance is not responsible for an accident that causes damage, but they should have told him to find a local tow company or helped find one for him to pay out of pocket or with an auto insurance comprehensive claim.

View attachment 832193

@Barry , do you have an Extended Service Agreement?

Pretty much all roadside assistance is subject to this issue. They all just contract with local providers, who may or may not be available in a reasonable amount of time, or at all. Sure, they could have cupped your balls a bit more and used some very apologetic language to make you feel better about them doing jack to help you, but would that really have made a difference in the final outcome?

It’s crazy how people apologize for stuff like this with tesla.
The problem isnt that it’s insurance vs a breakdown or whatever else.
The problem is that tesla literally guides it’s employees to do the opposite of what makes a great customer experience.
Mercedes, Audi, etc would have a truck there in a flash, no questions asked.
With Tesla selling 150k premium products, they have got to realize that their customers expect to at least be treated like they care, just a bit of listening, empathy, understanding. We dont expect perfection, just effort - we will accept no roadside assistance perhaps, but what is hard to accept is the “sorry have a good day” complete lack of awareness/support for OP, the constant dismissal of concerns, the 6 week wait for service and they don’t have a part or don’t even complete it, the total apathy showed to customers by tesla employees across every single line of business. They constantly screw up while arrogantly not giving a shred of a damn.

I have always defended Tesla but I am wayyyyy more wide open to other brands than I ever was. The product is still the best but it won’t be forever. As soon as parity is achieved, I’m going to where I am treated with respect and appreciation as a customer and that hasn’t been provided by Tesla consistently across their locations in 5+ years. It’s unreal how they haven’t improved here at all. It’s not because they can’t it’s because they are being told not to, it’s not profitable, just move product that’s #1. Shareholders over customers. I for one am ready for a real competitor to put out a compelling EV product AND ownership experience.

Yeah, not a good way to build brand loyalty. Although my sole experience with emergency towing was fine, had I been told to have a nice day (or rainy night in my case) it would have soured me for good. My battery warranty is supposedly up in 2024, and as of now, I'm not really sure what to do. I may have to go back to gas.

Yup always have Roadside Assistance from your insurance company..
I wound up calling State Farm and they towed the car.
He is well beyond having roadside coverage from Tesla, but their responses were terrible.
+1. I was planning to keep the car for a couple of years more, to see what other EVs hit the market in the next year or two, but now I'm thinking it's time to find something new. Certainly won't be a Tesla.
@Barry , do you have an Extended Service Agreement?
No. I was expecting to pay for the tow.
Isn’t Tesla service closed on Sundays? Would the response have been different on a week day?
This was Saturday.

Can you please point me to the roadside assistance programs for these makes that would have a truck there “in a flash” for a 7 year old well out of warranty vehicle, no questions asked?

There isnt one (a manufacturer roadside assistance program that would pickup the car "in a flash, no questions asked" for a 7 year old out of warranty vehicle.

They dont usually even support out of warranty cars at all, they will tell you to call a local towing company and have it towed to the closest dealership. Tesla does a lot (a lot) of things wrong, but people like to pile on as well.

The customer service mistake, at least to me, was basically what you said earlier. in less "colorful" language, than you used, they should have said "sorry we dont have any providers" and also suggested they call a local towing company".

If this is an example of the worst customer service this OP has ever received (thread title), they have had a pretty good life. I have several examples of things that have happened to me that are much, much (much) worse than "sorry we cant pick up your car on the side of the road".

Last edited: