Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another fire at an Electrify America station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
Another Rivian that appears to have had a problem when charging at EA:

1686018618852.png

It looks like what is left of the plug on the charge cable is still sticking out of the port.

I think we have seen at least two of each either have a fire or have the cabled welded to the charge port: Rivians, Bolts, F-150 Lightnings, and Mach-Es. It seems like it is happening way too often, is it ports/cables not being manufactured to the same/correct spec, poor cable maintenance, sabotage, or ???

But in any case it seems weird to see it happen at EA a lot, but not at ChargePoint, EVgo, etc. Yeah, the EA network is bigger, but still... (Especially since I think a lot of them use the same Huber+Suhner CCS cables. Unless EA is ordering them customized.) Could it be related to the "Signet Surge" that 800v architecture vehicles see on some EA chargers? (Though people are saying this is a BTC dispensor, so I guess that is it.)

From Reddit: Rivian has apparently made a statement:

We are aware of the incident, and we are conducting a full investigation. Nobody was harmed, and at this time, it does not appear that the vehicle’s high voltage battery was involved.

Interestingly, the battery pack doesn’t appear to be the problem here, but the damage indicates that the fire may have started around the charge port of the vehicle, which is located on the front driver side.