Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another question: Blue liquid under M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KYVolsfan

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2022
United States
I have read in the forums about blue liquid under the car. I have found several drops of blue liquid. The responses in the forum said it was coolant if slippery like oil and not slippery if it were washer fluid.

Would this liquid evaporate if it were only washer fluid and not if it were coolant?

If it is coolant - can I drive it until I can get it serviced? I

30 hours into M3 ownership has been eventful!

Thanks for any help you can give

Reactions: ColoradoMike
I have just checked and the coolant reservoir is dry. Plenty of coolant on the garage floor however.

Question: There is a coolant sold at the local auto store - Zerez G48, which says that it approved for BMW and Tesla. Will this work until I can get Tesla to fix the problem?

Tesla support will not help me until they complete the registration, which could be the middle of next week, apparently. They said they could not verify that I am the owner and my purchase paperwork would not suffice. 36 hours into Tesla ownership - glad I have a full warranty.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Well that doesn’t sound good either way…are you getting a coolant low message on screen?

per Vehicle Coolant Low - can we refill coolant by ourselves they do use G48 but would reach out to your SA if you have their details as unless you hit something this should be 100% covered by tesla.

Also you disassembed the frunk to get to the bottle correct? The easily accessible cap is washer fluid!

Per tesla adding any fluid of any type to battery Reservoir Will void warranty

Last edited:
I’d just drive it till you get some kind of warning light. It’s covered under warranty, if they are refusing to fix it until 36 hours past than that is on them. These cars are pretty smart and shouldn’t let you do anything to far out of the norm. I’d imagine the car would slow down and eventually shut down before causing harm. When you are able to, put the service request in. Take photos so you can upload to the app.

Reactions: advocate8 and vickh
Well that doesn’t sound good either way…are you getting a coolant low message on screen?

per Vehicle Coolant Low - can we refill coolant by ourselves they do use G48 but would reach out to your SA if you have their details as unless you hit something this should be 100% covered by tesla.

Also you disassembed the frunk to get to the bottle correct? The easily accessible cap is washer fluid!

Per tesla adding any fluid of any type to battery Reservoir Will void warranty
I did check the reservoir and it is dry. I’m new to Tesla, so not sure what an SA is?

As for voiding the warranty - I’ve read several posts where people did add coolant. Is this a strict no?

I’d just drive it till you get some kind of warning light. It’s covered under warranty, if they are refusing to fix it until 36 hours past than that is on them. These cars are pretty smart and shouldn’t let you do anything to far out of the norm. I’d imagine the car would slow down and eventually shut down before causing harm. When you are able to, put the service request in. Take photos so you can upload to the app.
I have not received a warning light. I just saw the coolant on the garage floor. Checking the reservoir showed it empty.. Just curious, how would Tesla know if I added coolant?

I did check the reservoir and it is dry. I’m new to Tesla, so not sure what an SA is?

As for voiding the warranty - I’ve read several posts where people did add coolant. Is this a strict no?
the Adviser you worked with when getting the car. They may be able to expedite though probably not much can be done till Monday/tuesday at this point

im not sure how strict they are truly and would not want to find out and have to pay out of pocket For Contaminating the system.

Reactions: vickh

Which reservoir are you talking about? The one you can easily access is the washer fluid:

Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla
GUID-CAE8F8F3-CEBE-49E3-B0D9-E7B769032334-online-en-US.png

I personally would not try adding fluid if you are talking about battery coolant (note the reservoir would not be easily accessible). It says clearly if you damage the car from adding fluid it is not covered under warranty.

Also your car seems to have a leak, so it will leak out anyways.

Which reservoir are you talking about? The one you can easily access is the washer fluid:

Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla
GUID-CAE8F8F3-CEBE-49E3-B0D9-E7B769032334-online-en-US.png

I personally would not try adding fluid if you are talking about battery coolant (note the reservoir would not be easily accessible). It says clearly if you damage the car from adding fluid it is not covered under warranty.

Also your car seems to have a leak, so it will leak out anyways.
It is the coolant reservoir I am looking at. It states so on the cap. I definitely do not want to do anything to void my warranty. I was told the Vehicle support will be working Monday, so I will call then.

I have just checked and the coolant reservoir is dry. Plenty of coolant on the garage floor however.

Question: There is a coolant sold at the local auto store - Zerez G48, which says that it approved for BMW and Tesla. Will this work until I can get Tesla to fix the problem?

Tesla support will not help me until they complete the registration, which could be the middle of next week, apparently. They said they could not verify that I am the owner and my purchase paperwork would not suffice. 36 hours into Tesla ownership - glad I have a full warranty.

Thank you for any help you can give.
That is total BS that they won't service the car until the paperwork is done. Call the Roadside 800 number and tell them you can't drive the car. If that doesn't work, you might chance driving it to the service center if it's only a few miles away. Otherwise, I wouldn't drive it.

After years reading about service centers here, it seems that there are no rules that apply uniformly across all service centers when it comes to pricing or servicing. That really sucks and it's something that Tesla needs to address. I want the same policies in Wisconsin or Tennessee or Texas or California. Is that too much to ask?

That is total BS that they won't service the car until the paperwork is done. Call the Roadside 800 number and tell them you can't drive the car. If that doesn't work, you might chance driving it to the service center if it's only a few miles away. Otherwise, I wouldn't drive it.

After years reading about service centers here, it seems that there are no rules that apply uniformly across all service centers when it comes to pricing or servicing. That really sucks and it's something that Tesla needs to address. I want the same policies in Wisconsin or Tennessee or Texas or California. Is that too much to ask?
I am happy to report that shortly after midnight, I checked my Tesla app and the car has now been put into my name. I immediately scheduled a service for the end of this week.

It is the coolant reservoir I am looking at. It states so on the cap. I definitely do not want to do anything to void my warranty. I was told the Vehicle support will be working Monday, so I will call then.
It is the coolant rese
I would wait till Monday and not drive/ have the car towed.
Some in the forums have said it should be ok to drive until I get a warning message. Is that correct? Or should I leave it parked? Also, with this issue, will Tesla come get the car or will I have to get it to the service center - which is 2 hours away. Thank you for the help.

It is the coolant rese

Some in the forums have said it should be ok to drive until I get a warning message. Is that correct? Or should I leave it parked? Also, with this issue, will Tesla come get the car or will I have to get it to the service center - which is 2 hours away. Thank you for the help.
i would think till it notifies you it would be safe but at same time it could strand you (not sure if that is a critical alarm where it will force stop you or not) if you venture too far and loose too much.

Monday i would call and see what they say About how it will go down.

It is the coolant rese

If it is undrivable, Tesla covers towing for the first 500 miles using their roadside assistance. Your car may be considered drivable however. You can message the SC in the app to see if they suggest you try to drive there or to have it towed by roadside assistance.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/roadside-assistance-policy-en.pdf

Reactions: vickh