Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking blue liquid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model Y use 6Month, stop in my garage every day find blue liquid. Touch feel like oil. What‘s that

Attachments

• 33358ABD-79EA-48B3-8A3A-45CD2288923A.jpeg
    33358ABD-79EA-48B3-8A3A-45CD2288923A.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 1,836
  • 6C1776E5-4B57-4BD8-A5C9-AE6F0BE3A9A9.jpeg
    6C1776E5-4B57-4BD8-A5C9-AE6F0BE3A9A9.jpeg
    787.5 KB · Views: 367
  • 413DDE4B-A6F2-4668-913E-0F2A45C27072.jpeg
    413DDE4B-A6F2-4668-913E-0F2A45C27072.jpeg
    641.6 KB · Views: 403
Thank you gas . I’m already scheduled after 10 days, but this isn’t Emergency situations right? use 10 days is ok?
It could be an emergency situation. Open the hood, remove the plastic cover by the windshield. The coolant overflow tank is located on the passenger side just to the left of the 12V battery (as you face the front of the Tesla Model Y.) If the overflow tank is below the fill line you should be concerned. (You can purchase this special coolant from a BMW dealer as it my understanding that this is the same coolant used in the BMW i3.)

The windshield wiper fluid is also blue and can leak. I had a similar panic a couple of weeks into owning my car after the service center overfilled it (courtesy top off) when I brought it in for some minor delivery issues. A coolant leak should supposedly throw a warning to the computer according to the technicians who checked my car.

Attachments

• Leak.JPEG
    Leak.JPEG
    43.5 KB · Views: 387
The windshield wiper fluid is also blue and can leak. I had a similar panic a couple of weeks into owning my car after the service center overfilled it (courtesy top off) when I brought it in for some minor delivery issues. A coolant leak should supposedly throw a warning to the computer according to the technicians who checked my car.
Easy way to tell: is the fluid slippery like oil? If so, likely coolant. Otherwise, washer fluid is a good guess and much less worrisome.

check both reservoirs as mentioned. Seems like a good start. Compare texture against dipping your finger in each reservoir. Which is it closest to?

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Easy way to tell: is the fluid slippery like oil? If so, likely coolant. Otherwise, washer fluid is a good guess and much less worrisome.

check both reservoirs as mentioned. Seems like a good start. Compare texture against dipping your finger in each reservoir. Which is it closest to?
OP said it felt oily in his first post, that is why I jumped on the coolant band wagon :)

Keith

I've posted this before but it is worth noting in case you are a new Tesla owner:

Fluids dripping under the Tesla vehicle (in order of frequency/likelihood):

Water - this is condensate from the HVAC evaporator coils and is totally normal. (If you are running the AC and you don't regularly see water dripping from underneath the Tesla vehicle the condensate drain line may be blocked. (On the Model Y the drain line seems to be located just inside of the right front wheel.)

Windshield Washer Fluid - color varies but typically contains a blue dye - If you find residue from a fluid with blue color and it is not slippery then it is most likely windshield washer fluid. The Tesla Model Y windshield washer reservoir holds ~1.2 gallons of washer fluid. Normally the washer fluid should not be found beneath the vehicle. (You activate the windshield washer pump by pressing the button on the left stalk on the steering wheel column.) If the Tesla vehicle is parked when you apply washer fluid to the windshield the excess washer fluid is wiped off of the windshield and will drain from below the windshield and onto the ground beneath the vehicle. This is normal but you will find the residue from the washer fluid on the floor of your garage or parking space. (Commercial washer fluid (the blue stuff) normally contains Methyl alcohol to prevent the washer fluid from freezing. (Note: Methyl alcohol is highly toxic when ingested and is readily absorbed through the skin. Do not handle washer fluid spills without wearing gloves. )

Coolant - Dark Blue - The Tesla vehicle has ~6 gallons of coolant circulating between the battery, drive units, power control modules, AC compressor, and radiator. If you find blue liquid that is slippery/greasy when rubbed between two fingers then it is from a coolant leak. (The coolant overflow tank is located under the hood close to the windshield on the passenger side just to the left of the 12V battery. To access/view the coolant overflow tank and the brake fluid reservoir you must first open the hood and remove the plastic cover with grill for the air intake.) Tesla states that the coolant is not a user serviceable/replaceable fluid. Tesla uses BMW coolant (the same coolant is used in the BMW i3 EV, possibly other BMW plug-in vehicles.) (In an emergency you could purchase some of the BMW coolant used in the i3, add the proper coolant to the overflow tank while waiting for Tesla service appointment.)

Brake Fluid - Clear to pale yellow/gold - Clear when new brake fluid will darken over time. Brake fluid is slippery to the touch and has a distinct odor (some say brake fluid smells like old fish). Brake fluid will damage painted surfaces. Look for brake fluid leaks beneath the master cylinder/brake fluid reservoir and each of the wheels.

12V battery electrolyte (battery acid) - clear - a strong sulfuric acid solution - highly caustic to eyes, skin, clothing, most metals and some plastics - Do not touch any fluid found dripping on or beneath the 12V battery. Normally the 12V battery is fully sealed and should not leak any of the electrolyte. Battery acid solution can be neutralized with baking soda and flushed with lots of water. (If battery acid is leaking the 12V battery may have a cracked case or otherwise have failed and the 12V battery must be replaced.)

Air Conditioning (AC) Compressor Oil - bright yellow (like a yellow tennis ball) - This oil normally is inside the AC compressor lines and lubricates the compressor. The compressor oil contains a yellow fluorescent dye that will glow faintly in the dark under a UV light source. The compressor oil should never be found beneath the Tesla vehicle. The compressor oil feels oily/slippery when touched. (If you find compressor oil under the Tesla vehicle the HVAC system requires immediate service.)

Drive unit fluid - red in color - The Tesla electric drive unit is normally sealed from the factory for the life of the drive unit. The drive fluid (similar to automatic transmission fluid) should never leak from the front or rear drive units. If you find red oily fluid underneath the Tesla vehicle the Tesla vehicle requires immediate service.

I've posted this before but it is worth noting in case you are a new Tesla owner:

Water - this is condensate from the HVAC evaporator coils and is totally normal. (If you are running the AC and you don't regularly see water dripping from underneath the Tesla vehicle the condensate drain line may be blocked. (On the Model Y the drain line seems to be located just inside of the right front wheel.)

Windshield Washer Fluid - color varies but typically contains a blue dye - If you find residue from a fluid with blue color and it is not slippery then it is most likely windshield washer fluid. The Tesla Model Y windshield washer reservoir holds ~1.2 gallons of washer fluid. Normally the washer fluid should not be found beneath the vehicle. (You activate the windshield washer pump by pressing the button on the left stalk on the steering wheel column.) If the Tesla vehicle is parked when you apply washer fluid to the windshield the excess washer fluid is wiped off of the windshield and will drain from below the windshield and onto the ground beneath the vehicle. This is normal but you will find the residue from the washer fluid on the floor of your garage or parking space. (Commercial washer fluid (the blue stuff) normally contains Methyl alcohol to prevent the washer fluid from freezing. (Note: Methyl alcohol is highly toxic when ingested and is readily absorbed through the skin. Do not handle washer fluid spills without wearing gloves. )

Coolant - Dark Blue - The Tesla vehicle has ~6 gallons of coolant circulating between the battery, drive units, power control modules, AC compressor, and radiator. If you find blue liquid that is slippery/greasy when rubbed between two fingers then it is from a coolant leak. (The coolant overflow tank is located under the hood close to the windshield on the passenger side just to the left of the 12V battery. To access/view the coolant overflow tank and the brake fluid reservoir you must first open the hood and remove the plastic cover with grill for the air intake.) Tesla states that the coolant is not a user serviceable/replaceable fluid. Tesla uses BMW coolant (the same coolant is used in the BMW i3 EV, possibly other BMW plug-in vehicles.) (In an emergency you could purchase some of the BMW coolant used in the i3, add the proper coolant to the overflow tank while waiting for Tesla service appointment.)

Brake Fluid - Clear to pale yellow/gold - Clear when new brake fluid will darken over time. Brake fluid is slippery to the touch and has a distinct odor (some say brake fluid smells like old fish). Brake fluid will damage painted surfaces. Look for brake fluid leaks beneath the master cylinder/brake fluid reservoir and each of the wheels.

12V battery electrolyte (battery acid) - clear - a strong sulfuric acid solution - highly caustic to eyes, skin, clothing, most metals and some plastics - Do not touch any fluid found dripping on or beneath the 12V battery. Normally the 12V battery is fully sealed and should not leak any of the electrolyte. Battery acid solution can be neutralized with baking soda and flushed with lots of water. (If battery acid is leaking the 12V battery may have a cracked case or otherwise have failed and the 12V battery must be replaced.)

Air Conditioning (AC) Compressor Oil - bright yellow (like a yellow tennis ball) - This oil normally is inside the AC compressor lines and lubricates the compressor. The compressor oil contains a yellow fluorescent dye that will glow faintly in the dark under a UV light source. The compressor oil should never be found beneath the Tesla vehicle. The compressor oil feels oily/slippery when touched. (If you find compressor oil under the Tesla vehicle the HVAC system requires immediate service.)

Drive unit fluid - red in color - The Tesla electric drive unit is normally sealed from the factory for the life of the drive unit. The drive fluid (similar to automatic transmission fluid) should never leak from the front or rear drive units. If you find red oily fluid underneath the Tesla vehicle the Tesla vehicle requires immediate service.
Re
Water - [Correction] (On the Model Y the drain line seems to be located just inside of the left front wheel.) I hadn't had my coffee when I posted this earlier.

The information above is super helpful. My 2019 Model X P100D has a puddle of something under it. I swiped my finger through it and it's blue-ish and a little viscous (like a light oil). Confounded me to think of where it might be coming from. Gonna have a look under the hood tomorrow. I've already scheduled a service appointment, but the earliest availability was 23 December. Sucks because we'd planned a road trip for the holidays. Hoping for a miracle and an easy fix.

Attachments

• IMG_0902.JPG
    IMG_0902.JPG
    485 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0903.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 329
The information above is super helpful. My 2019 Model X P100D has a puddle of something under it. I swiped my finger through it and it's blue-ish and a little viscous (like a light oil). Confounded me to think of where it might be coming from. Gonna have a look under the hood tomorrow. I've already scheduled a service appointment, but the earliest availability was 23 December. Sucks because we'd planned a road trip for the holidays. Hoping for a miracle and an easy fix.
99.9% that is a coolant leak. Tesla may not want you to drive the Model X, even to drive to the Service Center. I would upload several of the photos to the service request you have open.

LPT: If Tesla Roadside Assistance tows the vehicle to the Tesla Service Center Tesla's policy is that the vehicle needs to be evaluated within 24 hours (during the regular workweek.) So if Roadside Assistance agrees to pick up the vehicle it would not be looked at until sometime Monday or Tuesday A.M. (Why do these problems always seem to surface on a Friday?) Any parts needed parts could be ordered at that time.

I've been monitoring this issue. Its intriguing that the pack would spring a leak. I hope the OP gets this straighted out to their satisfaction.

Is there any data available on the structural integrity of the current 2170 packs? I'm not speaking to serious crashes, but rather to minor scrapes and bumps that would breach the pack walls.