TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Another Sudden Acceleration

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Omnomynous, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

You are probably dealing with a reduction in regenerative braking for some reason.

The sudden drop in deceleration is mistaken by our senses to be acceleration, then of course further brake pressure brings the car to a halt.

• Like x 2
  2. Oldschool496

Oldschool496 Member

Give it a try sometime, I've done it, its an old habit from ICE. Although I don't mash the gas until its almost stopped.

3. Omnomynous

Omnomynous Member

@umamahesh9999 Thats how mine happened. Customer service emailed me eventually asking for more details, google maps with the locations pinned, etc. but its been 2 months since the last time it happened.

One thing a tech mentioned is to put in a bug report if it happens again to guarantee the logs get saved. You have to use the voice command and say "bug report". Just in case you weren't aware.

4. Gaz_

Gaz_ Member

I don't know if this has been mentioned by I had a Vauxhall Ampera (Chevy Volt) a few years back and it did this jump as you regen breaked, never while the engine was running, just on battery. I always thought it was the regen arguing with the ABS but maybe its a standard logic problem with regen

5. paolodapaesan

paolodapaesan Member

Tesla is refusing to give me my data logs from the accident. There is an issue.

• Funny x 1
  6. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.32.2.2

See previous posts in this thread or in Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today. There are several third parties who can download and analyze the data for you. They will most likely find that the accelerator was pressed. They always do...

• Helpful x 1
  7. paolodapaesan

paolodapaesan Member

There also could be a difference between the logs showing the accelerator pressed, and the actual pedal being pressed. See my previous post about a potentially overheating Accelerator Pedal Sensor, causing a spike. Like I said earlier, I was hoping this is human error, but I am fearful it is not.

• Disagree x 1
  8. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Complying to your request would divert time and effort for what has been proven as human error time after time.

To get the log, I think you have 2 options:

1) Get a subpoena and Tesla will have to legally comply to provide you your own car data of the event.

2) See if the free offer from @wk057 is still good (in exchange for your willingness for losing your privacy as the data could then be made public)

Otherwise, if I were you, I would just be settled with:

1) turning the creep off
    2) doing barefoot driving

• Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. paolodapaesan

paolodapaesan Member

With all due respect, I find your logic above a bit absurd. PROVEN is a pretty strong word in this case. They have been running into issues with my "Calibration" 6 days later, they still don't know why it won't calibrate... Wasn't the 737 MAX proven to be pilot erroi? I guess they never should have investigated that sensor iissue on that plan? As an engineering executive, if I had a product in the field that may have malfunctioned, I would want to know about it, even if the last 50 had been user error.

• Like x 1
  10. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

Agree. Just because something has been "proven" to be the reason for a problem in the past, it doesn't mean every other instance is due to the same reason. This reminds me of the Toyota sudden accelerations in 2009. Everyone said operator error on the Toyota forums, only to find out a year later, it was a hidden Toyota problem for which they got sued and fined. So, I am never going to say the problem is user error just because a bunch of them happened in the past. There is always the chance that this time, the reason could be the car, however small the odds might be.

11. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

It's a change in understood protocol in 737 Max.

The protocol has been: Human overrides automation at any time and Automation must obey human at all times.

737 Max changed that without telling anyone: Its automation aggressively overrides human indefinitely until the automation wins and crashes.

12. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

#152 Tam, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Toyota was fined because it hid the fact that it thought the carpet and its pedal were the problems and it didn't tell investigators that it would make corrections on those 2 things.

However, NHTSA and NASA investigated and it's been pedal misapplications.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

Sorry Tam but that is only a part of the picture. Toyota was hiding other things. More than just pedal misapplications. Actual problem with the car. There are other reports after that one, yet I agree this was part of the problem. My point was supposed to be that sometimes, the acceleration problem is not always due to user error, but I didn't do a good job of saying that.

14. Travelhead

Travelhead Member

I bought my tesla last week and had the same thing happen to me. But I notice it’s immediatelu after I disengaged autopilot.

For example I’m driving with autopilot on, I turn off autopilot so I’m driving normally, then I need to break so step on breaks but the car suddenly accelerated quickly?!

• Funny x 1
  15. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.32.2.2

How are you turning off Autopilot? Are you sure you're not just turning off Autosteer and TACC is still enabled?

• Helpful x 1
  16. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

That's why I turn off Autopilot by lightly hitting the pedal.

If I hit the wrong pedal (accelerator), the Autopilot won't turn off.

The correct one is the brake. Since my foot is on the brake already (that's why the autopilot turns off), any further pressure would slow the car down.

17. zarman

zarman Member

I thought I had that acceleration too but realized that the brake pedal is so close to the accelerator I sometimes didn't get far enough to the left to avoid pressing both pedals. More conscious of this now. (Old habit from driving standard tranny cars)

18. erik_k

erik_k Member

Seems like maybe people should buy another “dash cam” and position it above their pedals to watch pedal applications

19. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Only it didn't happen to you, you pressed the wrong pedal. End. Of. Story.

This has been explained time and time and time and time and time again... @wk057 who knows this system inside and out has explained many times why this is simply not possible. Ever. I don't care if you're a Nasa scientist who walked on the moon, you pressed the wrong pedal. Tesla isn't obligated to give you the data so suggesting that they're refusal to do so means something nefarious is just ridiculous...

Jeff

20. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

LOL... Something will mysteriously happen to them though when it comes time to "prove" they didn't do it... LOL

Jeff