Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Sudden Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do tend to agree with your legal interpretation. I am not naive enough to think that somehow Tesla will admit their may have been an issue. Their liability is enormous to admit to even one case. If I hit the accelerator a little, I would have been stopped by the cement parking block and curb. It was full on ludicrous launch. Does anyone think it is likely that I was jamming the brakes while parking?

I don’t think you were jamming on the brakes while parking. I really think your situation was the same as mine. Pulling lowly into the parking space on with foot mistakenly over accelerator. I lightly pressed on the pedal to stop the car. However, since it was the accelerator the car lurched forward. Thinking I was pressing the brake I pushed harder which caused full acceleration. I hit and bounced over the concrete parking barrier and ended up in a ditch beyond the parking barrier. At the time I swore up and down that it my foot was on the brake, but in reality it was over the accelerator. If they ever provide the log information to you, I think you will find the same thing. For me it was a $4000 lesson, but now I am absolutely sure of my foot position every time I park.

Reactions: Oldschool496
At the risk of outing myself as delusional, I just joined the sudden acceleration club. Never quite believed the stories, but I'm not so sure now.

So I had a few incidents recently, nothing major and no accidents, but startling. Had the last one today. What happens is that the car lurches forward as I start to brake after coasting to a light in traffic. Happened in the rain a few times and I thought maybe I hit a slick patch or something, but today it was dry and it happened again. Each time just after coasting right as I ease into the brake. Sped up for just an instant, but I stopped it each time by screaming and braking harder. And I am certain that my foot was on the brake the whole time or I have already lost my marbles and you can stop reading now.

Have an appointment scheduled to give the mechanic a chuckle, but I also have a theory under my tinfoil hat. I think this might be to do with the regerative brake. I suspect that while coasting on regen, once in a blue moon, the brake pedal somehow disengages the regen before the brakes kick in, so after decelerating on regen, the car tries to jump back to that sweet spot where it coasts like an ICE car. It definitely speeds *up* before the scream braking, like its assuming the accelerator must be pressed to have disengaged both brakes.

So I punch the brake harder and it works, I never assume I on the wrong pedal. But I also want to believe that outside of AP, nothing should make it accelerate but the accelerator, so that leaves me with an issue with the regen/brake transition or a very selective kind of psychosis.

Don't know if or how this relates to other reports, but I am hoping to get it settled soon. Can't imagine not driving my car. I am obligated to profess my love for family, but that S is the best thing that isn't married or related to me.
I had a somewhat similar problem a while back. In my case I kept getting the "pressing brake and accelerator simultaneously" warning when I hit the brake. Later while vacuuming the car I found that the floor mat was loose and had run up onto the base of the accelerator pedal. As I applied brake, my heel was apparently pushing on the mat, thereby pressing the accelerator pedal too.

That would be something. Unfortunately, tho the shop had my car for 3 days, they never gave me any answer. I am not even sure if they got the logs or what they saw. They said the'd get back to me after further review when I picked the car up, but they didn't. But the mat issue is something I hadn't thought of. Will take a look, thanks.

FWIW, a couple of weeks ago I was coming off the freeway *hot* @ 75 mph and tapped the brake pedal to disengage TACC. It didn't disengage so I started to feel anxious and did 2 more urgent taps before I realized I was tapping the accelerator. Moved my foot to the brake pedal and all was fine.

I had a brain fart and when the car didn't respond as expected my reaction was to try again more urgently. I think that's all that's going on w/unintended acceleration.

I was on AP a week ago and a squirrel ran out. I quickly pushed on the pedal to slow down. But instead I sped up!?!?! WTH?!?!?

Then I realized I did push the wrong pedal. First time that ever happened to me. That was a wake up call. Fortunately I still missed the squirrel. (And no one was behind me.)

In the local paper down here a story about a M3 that "accelerated suddenly" into an office. Of course, Tesla was the first word in the headline; there are many accidents in this area (beaches, bars, bikes and pedestrians) every day but only Tesla is identified as opposed to the pickups and other ICE vehicles that wreck all the time. I would have led with "79 year old driver crashes into office". Accident is still under investigation, at least there was no mention of AP.

In the local paper down here a story about a M3 that "accelerated suddenly" into an office. Of course, Tesla was the first word in the headline; there are many accidents in this area (beaches, bars, bikes and pedestrians) every day but only Tesla is identified as opposed to the pickups and other ICE vehicles that wreck all the time. I would have led with "79 year old driver crashes into office". Accident is still under investigation, at least there was no mention of AP.

They probably get a magnitude more clicks if they include that key word of “Tesla”.

Probably driver should have it in chill mode. Sad to hear about the critically injured employee.

I was on AP a week ago and a squirrel ran out. I quickly pushed on the pedal to slow down. But instead I sped up!?!?! WTH?!?!?

Then I realized I did push the wrong pedal. First time that ever happened to me. That was a wake up call. Fortunately I still missed the squirrel. (And no one was behind me.)
That exact same thing happened to me a few months ago. Both car and squirrel survived, but it shook me. Nasty feeling getting the pedals mixed.

Reactions: SO16
I don’t think you were jamming on the brakes while parking. I really think your situation was the same as mine. Pulling lowly into the parking space on with foot mistakenly over accelerator. I lightly pressed on the pedal to stop the car. However, since it was the accelerator the car lurched forward. Thinking I was pressing the brake I pushed harder which caused full acceleration. I hit and bounced over the concrete parking barrier and ended up in a ditch beyond the parking barrier. At the time I swore up and down that it my foot was on the brake, but in reality it was over the accelerator. If they ever provide the log information to you, I think you will find the same thing. For me it was a $4000 lesson, but now I am absolutely sure of my foot position every time I park.
Like I said in an earlier post, I hope you are right, but I am freaked out by the thought that I checked and as I impacted the wall, my foot was at that point on the brake. I don't think I would have had time to switch in 4-5 feet, with a sudden lurch.

A few people have hinted or outright said that I should just admit I made a mistake. I have no problem with pride or admitting I screwed up, I have screwed up many times in my life, and am sure I will again.... hopefully not too many! I am really worried about this. I strongly believe there was a malfunction, because as I launched the 5 feet, I had the feeling of how the heck could this be happening, and looked down at my right foot on the brake as I made impact. I have nothing to gain from this, as my insurance already approved the repair, and I was not that badly injured, just mild bruised ribs and a stiff neck. I have zero to gain, but as a scientist and engineer, I feel this needs to be looked into. For everyone's sake. Even if there is only a remote possibility of a circuit malfunction, it must be mitigated!

Folks
I had a scare today when my car accelerated instead of slowing down when I pressed the brake. It stopped when I pressed the brake even harder. This happened as I was approaching a signal.
It happened 3 weeks back and I thought it was a minor glitch. But today was definitely scary as I almost bumped into other cars.
Should I call service center and have it checked out?

An outside chance you were on both pedals? Usually that pops up a msg but just possibly if the bias is on one foot then the other???
In any event calling service might resolve - if the logs stay that long/can be identified. Perhaps a verbal bug report at the time to log a break-point??

I had a scare today
Consciously move your foot over to the brake pedal. These cars make one lazy. Regenerative braking fools some into believing their foot is already on the brake. There are also many occurrences with brake and accelerator are both being pressed by the same foot, then the warning tones, messages start. Try it on purpose one day to get a feel of what that is on an open side street on a Sunday. Then you'll familiarize yourself with not only the sights and sounds of that act, but muscle memory of foot placement for proper braking action in real world driving. Move your foot way over to the brake.

Would someone please analyze this white Model X video below from Puerto Rico on Saturday, 3/10/2019.

The driver claimed sudden acceleration while parking. The rear red lights seemed to be on. Are they brake lights or parking lights? In the end, looked like the driver was able to shift the gear to "Reverse" as evidenced by the white rear lights. I don't think you can shift to reverse without applying the brakes:

https://www.tuvideopr.com/videos/922212137/1427141416-360p.mp4

Video muestra vehículo Tesla descontrolado en Mayagüez a punto de atropellar a una persona

Tesla-lead-main.jpg

927451931.jpg