Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Sudden Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it was not on autopilot.
And I did not accidentally press the accelerator. It was the brake pedal and pressing it further down stopped the car, so it is definitely the brake pedal.

You are probably dealing with a reduction in regenerative braking for some reason.

The sudden drop in deceleration is mistaken by our senses to be acceleration, then of course further brake pressure brings the car to a halt.

Reactions: SO16 and Dr. J
@umamahesh9999 Thats how mine happened. Customer service emailed me eventually asking for more details, google maps with the locations pinned, etc. but its been 2 months since the last time it happened.

One thing a tech mentioned is to put in a bug report if it happens again to guarantee the logs get saved. You have to use the voice command and say "bug report". Just in case you weren't aware.

I don't know if this has been mentioned by I had a Vauxhall Ampera (Chevy Volt) a few years back and it did this jump as you regen breaked, never while the engine was running, just on battery. I always thought it was the regen arguing with the ABS but maybe its a standard logic problem with regen

Tesla is refusing to give me my data logs from the accident. There is an issue.

Complying to your request would divert time and effort for what has been proven as human error time after time.

To get the log, I think you have 2 options:

1) Get a subpoena and Tesla will have to legally comply to provide you your own car data of the event.

2) See if the free offer from @wk057 is still good (in exchange for your willingness for losing your privacy as the data could then be made public)

Otherwise, if I were you, I would just be settled with:

1) turning the creep off
2) doing barefoot driving

With all due respect, I find your logic above a bit absurd. PROVEN is a pretty strong word in this case. They have been running into issues with my "Calibration" 6 days later, they still don't know why it won't calibrate... Wasn't the 737 MAX proven to be pilot erroi? I guess they never should have investigated that sensor iissue on that plan? As an engineering executive, if I had a product in the field that may have malfunctioned, I would want to know about it, even if the last 50 had been user error.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
With all due respect, I find your logic above a bit absurd. PROVEN is a pretty strong word in this case. They have been running into issues with my "Calibration" 6 days later, they still don't know why it won't calibrate... Wasn't the 737 MAX proven to be pilot erroi? I guess they never should have investigated that sensor iissue on that plan? As an engineering executive, if I had a product in the field that may have malfunctioned, I would want to know about it, even if the last 50 had been user error.
Agree. Just because something has been "proven" to be the reason for a problem in the past, it doesn't mean every other instance is due to the same reason. This reminds me of the Toyota sudden accelerations in 2009. Everyone said operator error on the Toyota forums, only to find out a year later, it was a hidden Toyota problem for which they got sued and fined. So, I am never going to say the problem is user error just because a bunch of them happened in the past. There is always the chance that this time, the reason could be the car, however small the odds might be.

Toyota was fined because it hid the fact that it thought the carpet and its pedal were the problems and it didn't tell investigators that it would make corrections on those 2 things.

However, NHTSA and NASA investigated and it's been pedal misapplications.
Sorry Tam but that is only a part of the picture. Toyota was hiding other things. More than just pedal misapplications. Actual problem with the car. There are other reports after that one, yet I agree this was part of the problem. My point was supposed to be that sometimes, the acceleration problem is not always due to user error, but I didn't do a good job of saying that.

I bought my tesla last week and had the same thing happen to me. But I notice it’s immediatelu after I disengaged autopilot.

For example I’m driving with autopilot on, I turn off autopilot so I’m driving normally, then I need to break so step on breaks but the car suddenly accelerated quickly?!

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01
I bought my tesla last week and had the same thing happen to me. But I notice it’s immediatelu after I disengaged autopilot.

For example I’m driving with autopilot on, I turn off autopilot so I’m driving normally, then I need to break so step on breaks but the car suddenly accelerated quickly?!
How are you turning off Autopilot? Are you sure you're not just turning off Autosteer and TACC is still enabled?

• Helpful
Reactions: erik_k
...I turn off autopilot so I’m driving normally, then I need to break so step on breaks but the car suddenly accelerated quickly?!

That's why I turn off Autopilot by lightly hitting the pedal.

If I hit the wrong pedal (accelerator), the Autopilot won't turn off.

The correct one is the brake. Since my foot is on the brake already (that's why the autopilot turns off), any further pressure would slow the car down.

At the risk of outing myself as delusional, I just joined the sudden acceleration club. Never quite believed the stories, but I'm not so sure now.

So I had a few incidents recently, nothing major and no accidents, but startling. Had the last one today. What happens is that the car lurches forward as I start to brake after coasting to a light in traffic. Happened in the rain a few times and I thought maybe I hit a slick patch or something, but today it was dry and it happened again. Each time just after coasting right as I ease into the brake. Sped up for just an instant, but I stopped it each time by screaming and braking harder. And I am certain that my foot was on the brake the whole time or I have already lost my marbles and you can stop reading now.

Have an appointment scheduled to give the mechanic a chuckle, but I also have a theory under my tinfoil hat. I think this might be to do with the regerative brake. I suspect that while coasting on regen, once in a blue moon, the brake pedal somehow disengages the regen before the brakes kick in, so after decelerating on regen, the car tries to jump back to that sweet spot where it coasts like an ICE car. It definitely speeds *up* before the scream braking, like its assuming the accelerator must be pressed to have disengaged both brakes.

So I punch the brake harder and it works, I never assume I on the wrong pedal. But I also want to believe that outside of AP, nothing should make it accelerate but the accelerator, so that leaves me with an issue with the regen/brake transition or a very selective kind of psychosis.

Don't know if or how this relates to other reports, but I am hoping to get it settled soon. Can't imagine not driving my car. I am obligated to profess my love for family, but that S is the best thing that isn't married or related to me.

I thought I had that acceleration too but realized that the brake pedal is so close to the accelerator I sometimes didn't get far enough to the left to avoid pressing both pedals. More conscious of this now. (Old habit from driving standard tranny cars)

Couldn't believe it happened to me. Today, I'm pulling in to a straight in parking spot adjacent to 2 vehicles, right next to a speed bump in the parking lot, that was a bit awkward getting over. foot lightly on brake, iunexpected sudden acceleration directly into a retaining wall 4 ft in front of the parking spot and in a slight ditch. WTAF TESLA?

Only it didn't happen to you, you pressed the wrong pedal. End. Of. Story.

This has been explained time and time and time and time and time again... @wk057 who knows this system inside and out has explained many times why this is simply not possible. Ever. I don't care if you're a Nasa scientist who walked on the moon, you pressed the wrong pedal. Tesla isn't obligated to give you the data so suggesting that they're refusal to do so means something nefarious is just ridiculous...

Jeff