Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Delivery Failure...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it were my car I’d be pushing Tesla for the discount rather than waiting for the price to drop. There are currently zero Model 3’s in inventory in the entire country and a 4-7 week lead time to get one. International customers have been waiting patiently for their orders and US production may not start up again for another month. Why would Tesla drop their prices under the current market conditions?

Things look very different for Tesla now compared to a year ago. The car is beginning to gain traction through word of mouth, as well as continued positive media coverage. The stock is more than double the price from earlier this year. I think we are seeing a new Tesla that may not follow the historical patterns of price drops. Only time will tell, but I’m seeing things very differently today from a year ago when we bought our first Model 3.

I personally think that the (soon to come) arrival of Tesla competition will further validate what Tesla has been trying to do for the last 10 years. Tesla will no longer be the “oddball” company making nothing but EVs. All (or many) car companies will be making or trying to make EVs. The arrival of other EVs will silence many of Teslas critics.

This will be good for Tesla as Tesla makes EVs best. If anything the global demand for Teslas will be higher than ever. Tesla will still be limited as to how many cars they can make to meet that demand. That will make Teslas all the more desirable.

So I wouldn’t expect any substantial price drops with Tesla for a very long while. Right now they can’t make enough cars to keep up with demand.

I had an appointment scheduled for 12/31 @ 3:30PM, but they asked if I wanted to pick it up at once. I declined. Bad choice.

Just to clear this story up a bit for better understanding, because there's a lot of detail missing from your original post about what happened.

You were originally given a 12/31 appointment to take delivery at 3:30pm, which you confirmed.
Tesla received your car earlier than expected at the DC and wanted you to take delivery at 9:00pm a day or few days before your appointment. You declined because you couldn't make it.
You show up to your assigned original appointment that you confirmed.
They sold your car to someone else because you couldn't make their sudden earlier delivery time.

Not to make excuses for them, since they were clearly in the wrong, I assume they sold your vehicle and figured they would have another VIN for you. It's pretty crappy how they were rushing people to pick up. I was given one day to pick up mine and it was Nov 30th, right after Thanksgiving. I had to end my out of town trip earlier than expected.

Just to clear this story up a bit for better understanding, because there's a lot of detail missing from your original post about what happened.

You were originally given a 12/31 appointment to take delivery at 3:30pm, which you confirmed.
Tesla received your car earlier than expected at the DC and wanted you to take delivery at 9:00pm a day or few days before your appointment. You declined because you couldn't make it.
You show up to your assigned original appointment that you confirmed.
They sold your car to someone else because you couldn't make their sudden earlier delivery time.

Not to make excuses for them, since they were clearly in the wrong, I assume they sold your vehicle and figured they would have another VIN for you. It's pretty crappy how they were rushing people to pick up. I was given one day to pick up mine and it was Nov 30th, right after Thanksgiving. I had to end my out of town trip earlier than expected.

Sorry, expect the details short. Not sure who wants to read all the detail.

Ya. If I knew that will happen, I'll come at 9:00pm. Just for the heck of it, I checked when the store hours, and they were supposed closed. So, I kind of thought, let's not make the employee pissed off for someone who wants to take the car at 9:00pm. Bad decision.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-9_19-2-58.png
    upload_2020-1-9_19-2-58.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 91
I personally think that the (soon to come) arrival of Tesla competition will further validate what Tesla has been trying to do for the last 10 years. Tesla will no longer be the “oddball” company making nothing but EVs. All (or many) car companies will be making or trying to make EVs. The arrival of other EVs will silence many of Teslas critics.

This will be good for Tesla as Tesla makes EVs best. If anything the global demand for Teslas will be higher than ever. Tesla will still be limited as to how many cars they can make to meet that demand. That will make Teslas all the more desirable.

So I wouldn’t expect any substantial price drops with Tesla for a very long while. Right now they can’t make enough cars to keep up with demand.

It will be interesting when more competitor come out on the market with lower cost EV.

I wonder if tradition car companies can catch up since they have cash to burn if they want. But what makes it difficult for them is that they must maintain their profit margin or else their stock will drop.

It will be interesting when more competitor come out on the market with lower cost EV.

I wonder if tradition car companies can catch up since they have cash to burn if they want. But what makes it difficult for them is that they must maintain their profit margin or else their stock will drop.

There will be a market for lower cost EVs when they come out, but it will not be the market that competes with Tesla. A Tesla is a premium product, similar to an Iphone. You can buy an Android phone for a lot less than an Iphone...and many people do. But Apple has a loyal following for the Iphone market. And Tesla has a loyal following for its vehicles.

The biggest roadblock to building a competitive product is Tesla’s complete integration of hardware and software. No other car operates as well between hardware and software as a Tesla. And companies like Ford, GM, and the Euro/Asian competition don’t have a clue how to develop software. If anyone competes with Tesla effectively it will be a tech company out of Silicon Valley, not a legacy auto manufacturer.

There will be a market for lower cost EVs when they come out, but it will not be the market that competes with Tesla. A Tesla is a premium product, similar to an Iphone. You can buy an Android phone for a lot less than an Iphone...and many people do. But Apple has a loyal following for the Iphone market. And Tesla has a loyal following for its vehicles.

The biggest roadblock to building a competitive product is Tesla’s complete integration of hardware and software. No other car operates as well between hardware and software as a Tesla. And companies like Ford, GM, and the Euro/Asian competition don’t have a clue how to develop software. If anyone competes with Tesla effectively it will be a tech company out of Silicon Valley, not a legacy auto manufacturer.

Agreed. But I always thought Musk's idea was EV to the mass population to help save the world. And not keep it as a premium product for the riches.

And something else going for Tesla is the supercharging network. There is a lot of level 2 charger out there, which can only give you 7kW/h. If I'm right, 7kW/h is equivalent to 20 miles (??). Tesla has supercharger will give you 100 miles in 10 minutes. Tesla thought about the user experience through the entire process EXCEPT DELIVERY! They can easily do a text confirmation for the final check =P

Agreed. But I always thought Musk's idea was EV to the mass population to help save the world. And not keep it as a premium product for the riches.

And something else going for Tesla is the supercharging network. There is a lot of level 2 charger out there, which can only give you 7kW/h. If I'm right, 7kW/h is equivalent to 20 miles (??). Tesla has supercharger will give you 100 miles in 10 minutes. Tesla thought about the user experience through the entire process EXCEPT DELIVERY! They can easily do a text confirmation for the final check =P

Just think of the delivery process as your initiation into the club. You are still in the hazing phase. You haven’t passed the test yet.

I think a Tesla Model 3 (and likely Y) is a not a premium luxury vehicle, but it is technologically advanced light years beyond any other car maker. The luxury features in a Model 3 are few and far between. These are not higher end Mercedes and BMW's in terms of materials and creature comforts. However technologically, the "other" cars can't hold a candle to Tesla. So it's a worthwhile trade.

I don't know about others here, but I wanted a Model 3 because it was a car of the future (and an EV). I've owned lots of luxury cars in my life and they are overrated. The Model 3 will remain a technological leader for many years - likely only to be outdone by Tesla in the future.

$55,000-$65,000 will get you one pristine Mercedes E-class. But the car will not perform like a Tesla nor will it have the features that make a Tesla what it is. I think Tesla made a good choice leaving many of the bells and whistles off the Model 3 (though I want my frunk clips back!:().

Reactions: jmatero
I think a Tesla Model 3 (and likely Y) is a not a premium luxury vehicle, but it is technologically advanced light years beyond any other car maker. The luxury features in a Model 3 are few and far between. These are not higher end Mercedes and BMW's in terms of materials and creature comforts. However technologically, the "other" cars can't hold a candle to Tesla. So it's a worthwhile trade.

I don't know about others here, but I wanted a Model 3 because it was a car of the future (and an EV). I've owned lots of luxury cars in my life and they are overrated. The Model 3 will remain a technological leader for many years - likely only to be outdone by Tesla in the future.

$55,000-$65,000 will get you one pristine Mercedes E-class. But the car will not perform like a Tesla nor will it have the features that make a Tesla what it is. I think Tesla made a good choice leaving many of the bells and whistles off the Model 3 (though I want my frunk clips back!:().

Perhaps based on your own conclusion you should reconsider what defines luxury in a car then? Shiny wood and dead animal skin is not everyone’s idea of luxury.

Ya, I got a model 3 for the technology. But once I think about it, the technology isn't all that great. So far, the technology is only a glorified cruise controller. EV is nothing new, but Tesla showed what it can become if done right. Just like what Apple did for the smart phone industry.

I drove test a BMW and Mercedes, they have nicer build inside than M3.

Model Y will take away some demand from Model 3 but since they share 75% of the same parts Tesla can just slide more production toward Model Y if need be.

Just my crystal ball of course.
I was talking to the manager at the Tesla Sunnyvale store a few weeks back and he said they believe the Y will be 4 times in demand to the M3 current demand.

It should be another interesting (or crazy) year for Tesla manufacturing/delivery coming up. Throw in the ramp for the CT the following year and I bet we will hear a lot more strange stories of new customers not knowing what the hell is going on:oops:

Tesla agrees to sell you a car based on your order specs for the price agreed upon at time of order. The process of assigning a VIN doesn’t equate to you ultimately getting a car with that VIN. Stuff can happen in the week or so when you see it in your account including damage on car transporter, part failure, manufacturing delays, accident in the delivery center parking it or another car backing into it, financing taking too long or falling thru, buyers changing trims/options, or buyer unable to take when ready (most delivery centers do not have space to store as trailers of newly delivered cars keep coming in).

Since Tesla doesn’t have massive parking lots to park cars for long, and since vehicles literally are coming off the line and sent out for delivery with more buyers than they can produce cars for at present, they have to have a mean, lean delivery system in place. If one buyer isn’t ready with paperwork or available to take delivery, someone else will be ready and more than happy to step in and take delivery when needed. I think people know the cars are popular but not how popular or how different this direct-to-customer system is from the legacy dealership they have know for years. The cars aren’t sitting on a lot for weeks or longer waiting for a buyer to come along, which costs the dealership every day it sits there. Tesla at this stage doesn’t have the luxury or margins to let that happen. With dealerships seeing demand for some of their cars waning right now those facts are hitting home to them.

All that said better communication with buyers would alleviate some of the confusion and anxiety many first timers feel. And Tesla does no doubt want to deliver ordered cars to those that ordered. We stopped in a Store recently to discuss and order a solar system with powerwall battery backup and know that the One Motion system is being put into effect. One person assigned to a customer throughout the sales to delivery/install process. That Tesla person is your contact and he/she is responsible for following through with internal contacts all along the way. Hopefully it helps improve the process. The weakness I see lies on how many orders going thru the system they are responsible for at any one time.

Tesla agrees to sell you a car based on your order specs for the price agreed upon at time of order. The process of assigning a VIN doesn’t equate to you ultimately getting a car with that VIN. Stuff can happen in the week or so when you see it in your account including damage on car transporter, part failure, manufacturing delays, accident in the delivery center parking it or another car backing into it, financing taking too long or falling thru, buyers changing trims/options, or buyer unable to take when ready (most delivery centers do not have space to store as trailers of newly delivered cars keep coming in).

Since Tesla doesn’t have massive parking lots to park cars for long, and since vehicles literally are coming off the line and sent out for delivery with more buyers than they can produce cars for at present, they have to have a mean, lean delivery system in place. If one buyer isn’t ready with paperwork or available to take delivery, someone else will be ready and more than happy to step in and take delivery when needed. I think people know the cars are popular but not how popular or how different this direct-to-customer system is from the legacy dealership they have know for years. The cars aren’t sitting on a lot for weeks or longer waiting for a buyer to come along, which costs the dealership every day it sits there. Tesla at this stage doesn’t have the luxury or margins to let that happen. With dealerships seeing demand for some of their cars waning right now those facts are hitting home to them.

All that said better communication with buyers would alleviate some of the confusion and anxiety many first timers feel. And Tesla does no doubt want to deliver ordered cars to those that ordered. We stopped in a Store recently to discuss and order a solar system with powerwall battery backup and know that the One Motion system is being put into effect. One person assigned to a customer throughout the sales to delivery/install process. That Tesla person is your contact and he/she is responsible for following through with internal contacts all along the way. Hopefully it helps improve the process. The weakness I see lies on how many orders going thru the system they are responsible for at any one time.

I thought they will do it a lot better. This isn't the first time they had issue. Tesla is a technology company and the last step is still requires a human confirmation. If an employee doesn't do his/her job, he/she will mess up the whole process/experience.

I will say Customer Service through Delivery was much different in a positive way when we bought our MS back in 2017 (ordered 12/31/16 and delivered on 3/17/17 so even then California custom order could take about 3 months). Even got swag bags back then; but then you are talking about a magnitude difference in volume of cars being delivered back then compared to now.

Yes it only takes one to create a positive or negative impression. I do think that come 3rd month of the quarter employees are especially under a lot of pressure and have long hours day-in-and-day out given the cars needing to be delivered down the chain within that period. Until both GF3 and GF4 are up and running at a good capacity I don't see the pressure easing up what with new vehicles being produced as well and only hope maybe better internal systems for contacting customers and keeping them up to date is used. If you think about just the number of support people on chat or the staff handling customers' car accounts that get contacted in a day the number of contacts are probably pretty staggering at this production volume. Each delivery center's contact with buyers will vary based on how popular the car is presently at that State/location. Some are totally swamped and not kidding doing over 100 deliveries a day. Hopefully with additional money in the bank, the staffing especially internally has been increased to handle the growing demand.

Spot on. Now if Tesla can garner some of the expertise regarding chassis/suspension design and tuning as well as some of the other mechanical systems to help reduce weight they would have it all. If they haven't done so already they should hire some engineering leads from some of the traditional auto manufacturers that have this experience.

I have a similar story and I am still waiting by the way. They first told me that they would deliver on 27th December. Then they said the car is actually not produced yet. So they pushed it to 29th. Except that on the 29th they again called me and said we will push it to 31st. I can't take delivery on the 31st so I lost the car. Even though I could take delivery on the 2nd they did not wait. Now there is no signs of when they will ever deliver. It is very frustrating. If there was an equally featured car out there, I would certainly not wait a second for the Tesla.

I have a similar story and I am still waiting by the way. They first told me that they would deliver on 27th December. Then they said the car is actually not produced yet. So they pushed it to 29th. Except that on the 29th they again called me and said we will push it to 31st. I can't take delivery on the 31st so I lost the car. Even though I could take delivery on the 2nd they did not wait. Now there is no signs of when they will ever deliver. It is very frustrating. If there was an equally featured car out there, I would certainly not wait a second for the Tesla.

I feel they should explain their process more clearly somewhere. Will help everyone and the experience.

I can only hope traditional car maker makes great EV. That will put pressure on Tesla in the future with how they handle customers.