Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another "Tesla killer" fading already?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crazy but true. Hopefully Tesla is forced by the courts and federal government to stop the downgrading before your car is old enough for them to feel OK taking away things you paid for.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Don't make rude accusations when you're unaware of the topic. It's impolite. Tslaq idiots don't even know about these crimes yet, but will soon with teh federal investigation into the fires that prompted the downgrades so if this is how you respond to Tesla's behavior when you learn about it, you're going to be making a lot of accusations soon.

I used to feel the same as you about upgrades, but when one took options I paid more than $30k for out of my car I stopped upgrading forever, and others have too. If we don't stop Tesla, you will eventually experience the same downgrade.

Crazy but true. Hopefully Tesla is forced by the courts and federal government to stop the downgrading before your car is old enough for them to feel OK taking away things you paid for.

I used to feel the same as you about upgrades, but when one took options I paid more than $30k for out of my car I stopped upgrading forever, and others have too. If we don't stop Tesla, you will eventually experience the same downgrade.

@Chaserr... said: "If we don't stop Tesla....."
All because you and others believe Tesla reduced your battery range.
Here's the story... Tesla, through a software update actually increased range from 310 miles to 325 miles but after receiving data on the change from the fleet they decided that it would be SAFER for Tesla owners to go back down to 310 miles so that their battery will last longer and in a few rare cases will not overheat after severe usage.
So, because Tesla tried to protect you want to '....stop Tesla.'
What other EV has 310 miles range and how many people actually drive more than 300 miles on a daily basis?? Seriously.

It's not a "belief" Tesla has told us they reduced battery capacity intentionally. In response to an Electrek investigation and class saction lawsuit, they confirmed this fact so it's not something you should call a "belief" it's a confirmed fact straight from Tesla's PR department. They even returned "some" of the removed capacity in response to the lawsuit - days after they said they would publicly.

You bring up SAFER - Tesla repeatedly tells us our cars were downgraded for reasons that aren't safety. The NHTSA investigation is going to determine if that is the truth.

What doesn't need to be determined because it is established fact is this: Tesla downgrades its cars, turning Performance LR vehicles into SR vehicles with reduced performance via software update.

You don't need to defend Tesla over these crimes. You want them to be stopped before they do it to you as well, because if they aren't stopped the company won't have any customers left. Your 300 mile Tesla will be a 200 mile Tesla when your downgrade software arrives. If Tesla is allowed to do this, don't think it won't come to your car. They're motivated financially to reduce the warranty costs of selling you less usability for more money like they are already doing to thousands of Tesla owners. Lack of empathy won't protect you and they won't whitelist the cars of people who defend them.

YOU want us to "stop tesla" from stealing tens of thousands of dollars from its customers and risking three-comma fines from the NHTSA for covering up safety issues - you don't want Tesla to destroy itself this way. You want the company to succeed... or am I wrong? I assume you're mistakenly defending their actions because you think they didn't do the things they are doing - not because you want them to be destroyed, am I correct in this assumption?

If I understand the story you lost 30 miles and got 7 back on an older S, (call it roughly 10% ?) and think it was in response to two fires, so presumably safety oriented, but you're claiming that that tesla will, at some future point, take 100 miles away from a 3? Of course they are different batteries, packs, bms, cooling systems, and chemistry, so ..... on what basis is this claim to be assessed ? Personally I'm ok with giving up 21 miles of range if they find the car is safer based on years and >100,000 or so trials.

The low demand is probably mostly because of a too high price. Here in Norway the E-tron is cheaper than a XC60 T8 plug in because it is exempted from both "New car tax" (varies with emissions and HP) and sales tax at 25%. E.g. the E-tron costs from €65000 to €100000 loaded, while a XC60 T8 starts at €76000 which of €5000 is a car tax. A XC60 t5, which is not PHEV, pays a full car tax of €30500, for a total starting price of €83000. How much is a XC60 T5 on the US? Source http://www.bilnytt.no/showannualdiff.aspx

Add to this reduced or no road tolls for EVs and gas price of €1,7 per litre...

PS E-tron sold 3700 so far this year in our small country while the XC60 sold 1700. The Model 3 though has passed 14000 sold, which is top 5 ever in a year since cars where invented. Source Tesla tok alt i september

I know the battery stuff got off topic, but thanks for sharing as I'm still learning. I keep my cars 10 years, and have flexibility in charging, so I'd like to do what's "right" for battery longevity, but my head is spinning trying to decipher everything I read on forums. I was trying to do the 20%-80% thing based on others' recommendations, and minimizing charging cycles. But a coworker who's 2013 S85 is over 120k said he charges to 90% every night and he's only lost 10% of range so far. I've already lost 5% at least based on the estimator, though half of that was when I upgraded to 28.2, so maybe Tesla tweaked the estimator? It did freak me out a bit, as I thought I was past the initial loss period and I'd start seeing more of a 1-2%/yr drop.

But now I'm charging to 90%, and recharging once I get below 100 miles of range (45 mile commute RT, so results in charging about twice a week). Gut feel is charging every night seems wrong - am I being too anal?

Interesting information here about battery charging. Responses from Elon.
Good stuff starts at about 1:22

Reactions: MichaelP90DL