Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Equinox the Tesla killer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want the Chevy Equinox to be a solid car. There aren’t a lot of truly affordable electric cars. I bought a model Y during the January 2023 price drop and am very happy with the car but my family needs a replacement second car. The current replacement car is a 1999 Toyota Camry. The Model Y is the most expensive car I have ever bought and though I want to go all electric, the price has to work for me. I can’t afford another $50k+ electric car.

I have thought about the bolt but I’m waiting to see what Chevy will do with the Equinox EV. The bolt is a little tight for a family of 4.

I want the Chevy Equinox to be a solid car. There aren’t a lot of truly affordable electric cars. I bought a model Y during the January 2023 price drop and am very happy with the car but my family needs a replacement second car. The current replacement car is a 1999 Toyota Camry. The Model Y is the most expensive car I have ever bought and though I want to go all electric, the price has to work for me. I can’t afford another $50k+ electric car.

I have thought about the bolt but I’m waiting to see what Chevy will do with the Equinox EV. The bolt is a little tight for a family of 4.
I'd love to see it be solid and inexpensive as well. But GM's CEO has stated they don't have a way to sell EV's for relatively low prices and simultaneously make a profit. She thinks they are stuck in that scenario all the way to 2030. So their answer is simply to not make many of them. She refuses to admit "just make a few" is their real strategy. Instead they fall back on excuses like "chip shortages" and "battery pack parts shortages from suppliers" etc.

The problem with the Bolt is its antiquated internal charging equipment. It would be fine if you only ever use it for daily commutes, but road trips are far from ideal. I know the CEO has said they are going to bring the Bolt back under the new structure, but that will probably drive up their costs...and so see my remarks above.

Reactions: Sixth and DrChaos
Tesla made a bunch of new customers in Jan 23' and alienated others when they dropped the prices. I am convinced a lot of the vitriol is more for this reason. Service seems to be hit and miss with some centers getting high marks while others are dismal.

I mean, if a person liked the car in 2022 and was none the wiser, they would still like the car in 2023. This tells me it isn't really the car that's the issue.

If more realistic prices had been set in 2022, the 23' reductions would have looked less painful to 2022 buyers. The cars were really overpriced in 22'. Raising prices to find a ceiling where the cars continue to move is I guess, just constructive capitalism. Apparently lots of people still wanted Teslas in 22' at those prices which further fanned those flames.

I remember getting pinched in a similar way when I bought a Toyoya one week before they offered a 3000 dollar reduction in price. There was no way they were going to give me that 3K. It would be even more unsettling to see 13K go right out the window. I eventually got over it and would buy the right Toyota again, but it took awhile to get over it. I don't think Tesla has ever had a reduction similar to the Jan 23' one. Most people can live with a few thousand fluctuation and chaulk it up to inflation. 13K is a little more pronounced and might have well peeved a large segment of repeat buyers.

It's hard to say how it's all going to pan out. Tesla lost some but gained many more.

otoh, the used tesla prices tracked the new tesla prices pretty closely and tax credits help. So if you keep selling your old Tesla to buy a new one, it works out ok. That's what I did. Twice. Once you get in the Tesla family, it's hard to get out :)

The Model 3 is a *great* sedan, drives better than the Y, and is better than any of the other vehicles you mention by far. The Model 3 RWD with federal tax credit plus gas/oil/brakes savings is comparable to a Toyota Camry (even less than some trims).

only Tesla killers will come from BYD or NIO

Or XPeng or Zeekr... all Chinese. I agree 100%.

Ford is losing $37k per F-150 Lightning and they're *still* having demand issues. The "Big 3" auto manufacturers here in the US are all having trouble gaining traction with EVs and now they've got to pay their employees 40% more because of the UAW.

It's concerning to think that they could go under. Including dealerships, that's a LOT of jobs.

There has been a LOT of doom and gloom recently about EVs in the press - especially from certain quarters of the business press who have always been hoping for EVs to fail. High demand for the vehicles is not materializing, or at least not as quickly as predicted. Losses by some manufactures, including the big legacy automakers, are steep. Plans are being rethought. Some of the press is crowing about Telsa's decreasing margins due in part to its price cutting.

There is some merit to the view that the EV transition is in some trouble right now. And that is especially the case with legacy manufacturers (although some new EV firms, like Lucid, are in trouble too). As this article suggests though, despite some cheering that Tesla is not doing quite as well as hoped, they are the exception and are still making a lot of money from their EVs.

So good for Tesla. But it is still worrisome for the EV project, and for traditional North American auto manufacturing, that other companies here have not got this figured out yet.

Reactions: DrChaos
So good for Tesla. But it is still worrisome for the EV project, and for traditional North American auto manufacturing, that other companies here have not got this figured out yet.

Tesla already went through the pain of creating compelling electric vehicles and reaching mass production... and it nearly bankrupt them. But they pulled through and were able to sell their vehicles for record-setting margins.

Now legacy auto is feeling that same pain, except their vehicles are not so compelling. They took their existing ICE vehicles and slapped electric drivetrains in them, which means they're less efficient and thus require larger batteries (the most expensive part). They're losing a TON of money on each sale. You're right that it's worriesome for them. Legacy auto in the US is in trouble.

Unfortunately for legacy auto, they were laggards ... and instead of getting ahead of the transition (GM produced the EV1 in 1996!!!), they did everything they could to deter people away from EVs (fear, uncertainty, doubt, lies). Probably bankruptcy is what they deserve.

China will likely overtake Tesla. If we're lucky, we'll have at least a few US companies stick around for the long haul... Tesla, Rivian, Aptera (?), Canoo (?). I think the UAW just put the last nail in the coffin for the big 3.

Tesla already went through the pain of creating compelling electric vehicles and reaching mass production... and it nearly bankrupt them. But they pulled through and were able to sell their vehicles for record-setting margins.

Now legacy auto is feeling that same pain, except their vehicles are not so compelling. They took their existing ICE vehicles and slapped electric drivetrains in them, which means they're less efficient and thus require larger batteries (the most expensive part). They're losing a TON of money on each sale. You're right that it's worriesome for them. Legacy auto in the US is in trouble.

Unfortunately for legacy auto, they were laggards ... and instead of getting ahead of the transition (GM produced the EV1 in 1996!!!), they did everything they could to deter people away from EVs (fear, uncertainty, doubt, lies). Probably bankruptcy is what they deserve.

China will likely overtake Tesla. If we're lucky, we'll have at least a few US companies stick around for the long haul... Tesla, Rivian, Aptera (?), Canoo (?). I think the UAW just put the last nail in the coffin for the big 3.
Aptera and Canoo are still vaporware. No way they can beat the legacy automakers in the long term, even with how much money legacy EVs are losing because those newcomers don’t have the ICE programs to help make up the cost.

I feel like Tesla was a one time exception due to the power of retail investors/meme stocks and cult following of Tesla and Elon.

All the startups that have followed and hope to be the next Tesla will likely not see the same success. I hope Rivian and Lucid make it at least but it seems questionable based on their numbers. At least Rivian has the support of Amazon behind it.

The legacy automakers will not fail because the US government won’t let them. But if Chinese automakers start US sales, that could take a big chunk out of both the legacies and Tesla. Although with Chinese US trade tensions being as they are, I don’t think the US will easily let that happen and will slap huge import tariffs if any Chinese automaker wants to sell here.

Reactions: father_of_6
Aptera and Canoo are still vaporware. No way they can beat the legacy automakers in the long term, even with how much money legacy EVs are losing because those newcomers don’t have the ICE programs to help make up the cost.

I feel like Tesla was a one time exception due to the power of retail investors/meme stocks and cult following of Tesla and Elon.

All the startups that have followed and hope to be the next Tesla will likely not see the same success. I hope Rivian and Lucid make it at least but it seems questionable based on their numbers. At least Rivian has the support of Amazon behind it.

The legacy automakers will not fail because the US government won’t let them. But if Chinese automakers start US sales, that could take a big chunk out of both the legacies and Tesla. Although with Chinese US trade tensions being as they are, I don’t think the US will easily let that happen and will slap huge import tariffs if any Chinese automaker wants to sell here.

I agree with everything you've said... except I suspect Chinese EV companies will just open shop in the US.

Reactions: DrChaos
Chinese are already opening shop with new factories in Mexico. Those cars become "American Made" due to our trade treaties. Especially with the new UAW wage increases, it will be impossible for US manufacturers to compete. The Chinese cars will take our market, and our UAW employees will become unemployed. Only Tesla seems to be able to profitably produce a desirable EV in the USA. US workers will be able to continue to profitably produce ICE and Hybrid vehicles, but only as long as Governmental mandates allow those gassers to be sold here.

Reactions: father_of_6
Equinox, with single motor FWD will be available early next year at $49,000. 315 miles of range. Pricing will probably carry an additional Dealer Market Adjustment until volume production can service the initial demand. Not going to save any $ over a current Tesla Model 3 or Y. Special launch configuration only available initially.

Equinox, with single motor FWD will be available early next year at $49,000. 315 miles of range. Pricing will probably carry an additional Dealer Market Adjustment until volume production can service the initial demand. Not going to save any $ over a current Tesla Model 3 or Y. Special launch configuration only available initially.

And that seems like a really hard sell to me, considering the Model Y starts at $44k... the LR is $49k. Dealer markups will put the Equinox in a really bad spot.

I can't be the only one who thinks $49k for a FWD Equinox is absurdly high, right? I thought the Equinox EV was supposed to take over for the Bolt?

And that seems like a really hard sell to me, considering the Model Y starts at $44k... the LR is $49k. Dealer markups will put the Equinox in a really bad spot.
FWD for a new GM product at $49K vs a much quicker AWD Tesla Y at $49K? Which will be imminently in a refresh which with the 3 experience will improve its ride and comfort.

Not going to be attractive at all.

The new Bolt, with its non-Ultium CATL LFP pack might find a good niche at $37K.

And I think the BMW Neue Klasse will also be a decent competitor to Tesla----If they can make a iX330 at $57K (a possibility), then the Equinox is doomed at that price. They are planning on Mexico & US production.

Last edited:
Inside EVs State of the Equinox EV article.

Equinox is too big for us, probably a decent size for many.

EV market is poor right now for our preferences. Boltium arriving with better charging speed is the current best hope.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even consider a non-Tesla EV for the foreseeable future. Once they go NACS and have proven reliability and software... maybe. Dealerships will probably still keep me away.
Late 2024/early 2025 most EVs should at least have at least an adapter giving V3 Supercharger access . Some of those orange and blue cones in the map below should be converted into red blobs, and there are always surprise locations. I wouldn't count on _when_ there would be the adapter if buying now though. Still, I've traveled on CCS from Central Maine to Pittsburgh, PA (using mostly Electrify America, and one Magic Dock Supercharger) and Charlottetown, PE (mostly with Flo, although there are some notable improvements in Maine charging infrastructure since then), so I know you can travel, even if not as fast or as confidently. Every trip beyond range I've made in my Kona EV would be easier now than it was at the time.

1703963735677.png

Buying our cars from dealerships hasn't been painful for us. Just adds a little time sitting signing documents when we've gone and picked up the car (which we've always test driven before buying). Last two cars we bought had sales price agreed via email. Plus, I live in Central Maine ...

1703962216571.png

1703963229704.png

(Little red blobs in South Burlington, VT and Londonderry, NH (south of Manchester, NH) are where new Service Centers will be.)

Late 2024/early 2025 most EVs should at least have at least an adapter giving V3 Supercharger access . Some of those orange and blue cones in the map below should be converted into red blobs, and there are always surprise locations. I wouldn't count on _when_ there would be the adapter if buying now though. Still, I've traveled on CCS from Central Maine to Pittsburgh, PA (using mostly Electrify America, and one Magic Dock Supercharger) and Charlottetown, PE (mostly with Flo, although there are some notable improvements in Maine charging infrastructure since then), so I know you can travel, even if not as fast or as confidently. Every trip beyond range I've made in my Kona EV would be easier now than it was at the time.

View attachment 1004359

Buying our cars from dealerships hasn't been painful for us. Just adds a little time sitting signing documents when we've gone and picked up the car (which we've always test driven before buying). Last two cars we bought had sales price agreed via email. Plus, I live in Central Maine ...

View attachment 1004350
View attachment 1004355

(Little red blobs in South Burlington, VT and Londonderry, NH (south of Manchester, NH) are where new Service Centers will be.)
Is the Equinox EV going to follow in the footsteps of the Blazer EV?