Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another upvote for pump on board and America's Tire certificates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dolfs

Supporting Member
When I got my MY LR in Mar 2021 (only a 3 day wait!) I went to AT and bought tire certificates for all four tires. I don't drive that much, so far only needed one rotation (free), and then Sat late discovered 22psi tire.

Found screw in repairable area. AT closed for the day on Sun, so booked for today. Pressure this AM was 15 psi, so plugged in the pump I keep on board, inflate to 40 (3 minutes), drive to AT (2.5 mi). In and out in 45 minutes. Watched them do it. Careful and considerate. Repaired by taking tire of rim, checking, removing screw, plug, cut foam on inside, patch, put foam back, remount, check for for other leaks, rebalance, torque lug nuts to spec and out of there! $0!

Most other places will: yank the screw, ream a few times, insert plug (pushing foam inside aside, or damaging it in the process), no patch, $20 and you are on your way.

Can heartily suggest buying the certs if your car is still new enough (don't know their precise cut-off).

I plug it myself on the side of the road. Last time I did it, it lasted the full life of the tire, no leaks.

But grinding the inside and placing a patch from inside is the proper SAE approved method of doing it. Guaranteed to last the full life of the tire with no compromises. They did it right.

Alot of cars don't come with spares now. I'd recommend everyone learn how to plug a tire these days. Also keep a plug kit and air compressor on board. It could save you on a road trip.

I plug it myself on the side of the road. Last time I did it, it lasted the full life of the tire, no leaks.

But grinding the inside and placing a patch from inside is the proper SAE approved method of doing it. Guaranteed to last the full life of the tire with no compromises. They did it right.

Alot of cars don't come with spares now. I'd recommend everyone learn how to plug a tire these days. Also keep a plug kit and air compressor on board. It could save you on a road trip.
Yes, I have a plug kit, for when it happens with no alternative like this. But not needed here and prefer the complete approach.

Americas Tire would've done this with no certificates, its a service they offer to anyone. The certificates is if your wheel fails, they'll just give you a anew one.
America's Tire/Discount Tire here will do the repair and also rotate AND balance your tires for free - service may vary with location I'm told. They're the best!

Thank you for sharing - I have quotes for $220 plus tax and $150 plus tax. Seems like I have some more negotiating to do - exact same tires as you!
I did not have to negotiate, but the tires were like 2 days old, that may make a difference. Also, this was Mar 2021, so it makes sense for prices now to be higher, but perhaps not $220. Also, I don't know what role location plays, but here in CA tires are not likely to be subjected to conditions like snow and salt, but I see you are in a location where that may play a role.

I did not have to negotiate, but the tires were like 2 days old, that may make a difference. Also, this was Mar 2021, so it makes sense for prices now to be higher, but perhaps not $220. Also, I don't know what role location plays, but here in CA tires are not likely to be subjected to conditions like snow and salt, but I see you are in a location where that may play a role.
Good point on the weather conditions - I'm looking at 18 inches of snow in the past 48 hours and counting! I'll stop by my local store and talk to them in person once I dig out of this snow.

Thanks again for the quick response!