Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tip of Box cutter blade in rear tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
My first mini road trip in new Plaid and I ran over the tip of a box cutter knife, which flattened my tire in about five minutes…flat lol

I called an Uber and luckily picked “comfort” and got a fellow Tesla owner, which help me fix my tire, what a great guy! Those Model 3’s move out!

I bought a can of tire sealant and an air compressor at a local Canadian Tire, follow the instructions, and it seems to be holding, but the car is parked and I’m with my family at the beach. Just a bit concerned that I’m going get back to a flat tire or it won’t hold for ride back home. It’s a holiday weekend. I don’t think I’m gonna find a tire place open.

11100km on it. Jeez.

I wish I had taken some pictures, but I might when I head back to it.

It’s a big beefy, expensive looking tire. I’ll probably try and patch from the inside. What do you think?

PS my new Tesla combo sealant / compressor kit wouldn’t pump any sealant out and the compressor stop pumping after about 22 psi. Not too impressed with that considering how expensive it was

The other thing is my 12V socket keeps cutting out, I’m not sure why.

How close to the side wall is the hole? Patches work better in the middle.
Mini compressors are good for getting you to a real one before the tire is ruined. Return it and get a cheap one.
The outlet was not liking the high amperage.
A cheap compressor will need less amps and will be slower.

Reactions: easyev
Actually, my car only has 1100 km. That’s a typo I can’t seem to find the edit message button :)

thankfully it’s not close to the side wall at all.

IMG_7404.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7405.jpeg
    IMG_7405.jpeg
    636.4 KB · Views: 21
Fix a flat will corrode aluminum if it is not cleaned out of the tire and wheel
View attachment 970940

That's not aluminum corrosion. That's a pic of a chrome wheel that is having the chrome flake off on the inside of the rim, which by the way, happens to many chrome wheels no matter what, Fix a Flat or not, over time. My Jags and Cadillacs had factory chrome rims that would do that and the flaking on the bead seal would eventually cause slow leaks that made you think you had a nail. You had to remove the tire, grind down the flaking area, add bead sealant, and wait for it to do it again in a year or two.

Last edited:
That's not aluminum corrosion. That's a pic of a chrome wheel that is having the chrome flake off on the inside of the rim, which by the way, happens to many chrome wheels no matter what, Fix a Flat or not, over time. My Jags and Cadillacs had factory chrome rims that would do that and the flaking on the bead seal would eventually cause slow leaks that made you think you had a nail. You had to remove the tire, grind down the flaking area, add bead sealant, and wait for it to do it again in a year or two.
Love that red S of yours!!! 😍