Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anxiously waiting an AWD review / videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your tires do not know the difference between regen braking or braking from the brake pads, there is no difference on brake wear.
This is definitely incorrect when it's RWD only, as you're doing your braking with a lot lower friction per mass you're stopping. The faster you are stopping the more this happens, until you reach an equilibrium where your loss of friction on the rear tires caps your braking potential. At that point you're going to get a lot of wear on those tires as they skip & scuff across the pavement.

In AWD it depends more on driver skill/use. If you're constantly doing "panic braking", just by taking your foot of the accelerator, you're going to go hard on your tries. This doesn't matter so much in something called Track Mode because just driving onto the track is implicitly kissing your tires goodbye, day-to-day driving this is less the case.
Adding extra regen is not an issue since you can draw high kw in the other direction. In addition the car will protect from over regen from heat, high SOC, etc. The total regen on a Tesla is not that high presently and there is room for more particularly at lower SOC.
My point here is that as you raise the base regen you'll start seeing even more variation, from situation to situation, in how much regen braking you get as you start bumping into the ceiling of what is prudent to push back into the battery. This would somewhat complicate driving as you let right off expecting heavy braking and that doesn't develop. It already is something of an issue in cold weather (although around freezing point and below you want less aggressive regen, in case of road icing) but imagine if suddenly it matters quite a bit whether you are at 80%-90% SOC or somewhere in the 30%-40% range. Now you're seeing 15-20% drop in braking power, that'll be a bit disorientating and IMO a recipe for inducing driver error.

Last edited:
A video of @Deuce24 trying to do donuts in his new M3! :D j/k

I am waiting on the guy who contacted me from Nevada (ISA?) to get back to me w/r/t changing to a P. I'm not actively looking for anything at the moment - just a little lighthearted bump in case someone else found something to share.
I don’ think I could get it to do donuts even if I tried!

This is definitely incorrect when it's RWD only, as you're doing your braking with a lot lower friction per mass you're stopping. The faster you are stopping the more this happens, until you reach an equilibrium where your loss of friction on the rear tires caps your braking potential. At that point you're going to get a lot of wear on those tires as they skip & scuff across the pavement.

In AWD it depends more on driver skill/use. If you're constantly doing "panic braking", just by taking your foot of the accelerator, you're going to go hard on your tries. This doesn't matter so much in something called Track Mode because just driving onto the track is implicitly kissing your tires goodbye, day-to-day driving this is less the case.

My point here is that as you raise the base regen you'll start seeing even more variation, from situation to situation, in how much regen braking you get as you start bumping into the ceiling of what is prudent to push back into the battery. This would somewhat complicate driving as you let right off expecting heavy braking and that doesn't develop. It already is something of an issue in cold weather (although around freezing point and below you want less aggressive regen, in case of road icing) but imagine if suddenly it matters quite a bit whether you are at 80%-90% SOC or somewhere in the 30%-40% range. Now you're seeing 15-20% drop in braking power, that'll be a bit disorientating and IMO a recipe for inducing driver error.

That's a braking design issue. Certainly 300kw won't work.

Can we talk more about acceleration and less about slowing down? :) I’ve only seen two iPhone videos for 0-60, no vbox test. I’m trying to figure out how much better the acceleration is compared to rwd. Anyone with an awd car have a vbox or know anyone with one?

What about handling around turns? I drove a rwd and was actually a little disappointed in the amount of body roll and traction control getting in the way compared to the S around the same turns. Has anyone driven both a rwd and awd non-performance that can comment more?

Thanks!

Although he doesn't have hard numbers to share, this review does a really nice job of verbally reviewing/comparing the three current models available.

He also compares the various Model 3's against other makes/models that he's owned in his life, which is nice for some extra comparison.

Reactions: nigwil
Although he doesn't have hard numbers to share, this review does a really nice job of verbally reviewing/comparing the three current models available.

He also compares the various Model 3's against other makes/models that he's owned in his life, which is nice for some extra comparison.

Too many of these click bait videos floating need real numbers

Is that because you ordered a P?
No AWD non-P actually. MSM, 19s, white interior, EAP, Sep-Nov estimate. I am super happy with that choice, but all this waiting and seeing dozens of performance reviews/videos makes the idea of bumping up tempting. I’m sure the standard AWD is amazing - my RWD test drive was, just curious about the initial torque 0-20 since it did seem a little soft in the RWD. That minor detail aside, I was blown away. I’ll put the $15k or so saved toward the Model Y fund.