Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will a M3 AWD with Accel Boost Beat These Cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a legal drag race, is the Model 3 AWD with accel boost fast enough to beat the cars listed below?

The circumstances:
1. Real life 0-60 race
2. Quarter mile from stand still
3. From a roll

The cars:
-Audi TT RS (rated 0-60 in 3.6)
-C8 Chevrolet Corvette (rated 0-60 in 2.9)
-Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 (rated 0-60 in 3.5)
-Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye (rated 0-60 in 3.6)
-Ford Mustang GT500 (rated 0-60 in 3.7)
-BMW M6 (rated 0-60 in 3.5 or 3.7)
-Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium (rated 0-60 in 3.7)

DISCLAIMER: all 0-60 times were just taken from google - usually from a source like Edmunds or Car&Driver or etc.

Any real life experience racing other similarly powered vehicles would be great! I couldn't pinch enough cash together for a performance, but I am in reach of an acceleration boost. I was just wondering how much it'd be worth it compared to other similarly powered cars.

your question can be magazine raced quite easily...

The biggest point about the AWD electric cars is
1. torque with EXCELLENT wheel spin management
2. no tricky launch control when the battery is warmed up

0-60, on a non prepped street, im guessing you will beat most of the cars on your list.... as those cars will need 1. hot tires 2. launch control 3. perfect shifts if not auto/dual clutch

1/4 mile depends on the same,,, all of those cars will run you down on the top end. the results will be about how bad the other cars start

from a roll to what? teslas are speed limited

Reactions: Gasaraki and Sam1
your question can be magazine raced quite easily...

The biggest point about the AWD electric cars is
1. torque with EXCELLENT wheel spin management
2. no tricky launch control when the battery is warmed up

0-60, on a non prepped street, im guessing you will beat most of the cars on your list.... as those cars will need 1. hot tires 2. launch control 3. perfect shifts if not auto/dual clutch

1/4 mile depends on the same,,, all of those cars will run you down on the top end. the results will be about how bad the other cars start

from a roll to what? teslas are speed limited

^^it should beat pretty much all of them simply because our cars can turn advertised times on a decent street, and the other cars are very difficult to do it on the street with unmodded vehicles.

From a roll, you will more than likely lose every race. An example is that on the dray boards 60-130 with model 3's, I have the fastest current time of 11.15 seconds. Most of those cars you listed should do 60-130 in a minimum of 7-8 seconds. Our cars are launch monsters, not highway queens.

Lose on a roll without a doubt to any of them.
C8 corvette should win in all conditions.
Tie with the TTRS for 0-60 or you lose if your battery is at low charge. Beat the rest.
Quarter mile: lose to all except if the dodge cant get a grip/bad driver. Your advantage is consistency.

since you said legal drag race, it probably means a prepped surface then by that, all the cars listed can tie or beat the Tesla. but as said before, their not going to be as consistent since all of those are RWD cars except the TT RS.

Lose on a roll without a doubt to any of them.
C8 corvette should win in all conditions.
Tie with the TTRS for 0-60 or you lose if your battery is at low charge. Beat the rest.
Quarter mile: lose to all except if the dodge cant get a grip/bad driver. Your advantage is consistency.
Yeah, the C8 corvette can probably easily do around 3.5 even without launch control. Would probably lose to a Performance, but not with an LR with accel boost.

In a legal drag race, is the Model 3 AWD with accel boost fast enough to beat the cars listed below?

The circumstances:
1. Real life 0-60 race
2. Quarter mile from stand still
3. From a roll

The cars:
-Audi TT RS (rated 0-60 in 3.6)
-C8 Chevrolet Corvette (rated 0-60 in 2.9)
-Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 (rated 0-60 in 3.5)
-Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye (rated 0-60 in 3.6)
-Ford Mustang GT500 (rated 0-60 in 3.7)
-BMW M6 (rated 0-60 in 3.5 or 3.7)
-Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium (rated 0-60 in 3.7)

DISCLAIMER: all 0-60 times were just taken from google - usually from a source like Edmunds or Car&Driver or etc.

Any real life experience racing other similarly powered vehicles would be great! I couldn't pinch enough cash together for a performance, but I am in reach of an acceleration boost. I was just wondering how much it'd be worth it compared to other similarly powered cars.

Based on the 0-60s listed (I'm not gonna double check em all) an AWD+ should beat everything 0-60 except the corvette (which you'd need a P AND the vette to not launch perfectly to beat)... and MAYBE the ZL1 if he launches PERFECTLY (unlikely in street conditions)

1/4 mile? It's beats 3 out of 7- see below:

This has the GT500, ZL1, and Hellcat Redeye at 11.4, 11.5, and 11.6 respectively.

AWD+ runs about 11.8, so it loses to all of those and the Vette obviously.

It beats:

Audi at 11.9

The "supra" is 12.1 here:

M6 I couldn't find car mags doing testing, best I could find was 12.1 here

From a roll? Depends on the roll. From 20-80? Could probably beat many of em.... From 80-140? Not so much... also if it's a manual ICE it'll depend on the driver for some cases.

A C8 was pretty much harassing me on the fwy one night and I finally got sick of it and just stomped on it. I didn’t even know how fast I was going but my friend said 130mph at one time and I can tell u that the C8 never got in front of/pass me and I decided to quit and he was so butthurt and just weaved his way off an exit. That’s the fastest I’ve pushed my LR boosted M3 and I never even race anyone anywhere but that’s how frickin annoying this C8 was being.

My friend and I were thinking I had zero chance vs C8 but afterwards we were like that thing wasn’t as fast as we thought.

Reactions: Gasaraki
A C8 was pretty much harassing me on the fwy one night and I finally got sick of it and just stomped on it. I didn’t even know how fast I was going but my friend said 130mph at one time and I can tell u that the C8 never got in front of/pass me and I decided to quit and he was so butthurt and just weaved his way off an exit. That’s the fastest I’ve pushed my LR boosted M3 and I never even race anyone anywhere but that’s how frickin annoying this C8 was being.

My friend and I were thinking I had zero chance vs C8 but afterwards we were like that thing wasn’t as fast as we thought.

0-60 in 2.8, 1/4 mile in 11.2@122.
(and a top speed about 40 mph higher than yours)

It is that fast. That guy was either a really bad driver (which given they don't offer a manual transmission would require a REALLY bad driver) or he wasn't really trying.

It is that fast. That guy was either a really bad driver (which given they don't offer a manual transmission would require a REALLY bad driver) or he wasn't really trying.

Too much delay with ICE cars.....throttle response cant be matched compared to EV.... If im not prepared in my ICE car I lose a lot of time.....

1. am I going to chase the tesla?
2. Okay, down shift and gas
3. EV is prob at triple digits and shut down or since Vmax is low it hit the limiter
4. how bad do I want to catch and over take
5. scanning for CHP as the 2nd guy always get nailed

That's with launch control of course, without it, it hits 0-60 in around 3.4-3.6 depending on driver.

On a roll, it really depends on driver too and the circumstances, as the car may need to downshift.

He probably just didn't have the guts to go that fast. Maybe wanted to shut it down around 110mph :D I feel most times, winning a highway race is just about who has the willingness to keep going.
Yep. Here in Virginia every mph over 100 roughly equates to a day spent in jail. I think we are one of the strictest states on reckless driving charges. Not worth it.

EDIT: As pointed out below, apparently in some counties they start the jail counter at 90mph. I'm in northern virginia where the limits are higher and they wouldn't have enough room in the jails if they did that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hellocar