Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advise on purchasing a used Tesla from the experts;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the warmer states (like GA), an 85kWh battery will likely get you more than actual 200 miles on a charge (more like 240 miles in perfect conditions).. You could easily do 160 miles round trip, with a little extra to spare for local driving. And if you do need to charge, there are Superchargers all over Georgia you could pop-into for a 10-15 minute charge if you're running low.

Why did you ditch the classic version of your site?

You're not allowed to see a CPO car from Tesla until you pay for it? I'm confused... o_O:confused: Who told you that?
We've bought two CPO cars form Tesla and this was the case in both instances.

The first one ended up being a mess after we already signed the paperwork and were promised it would be fixed before we left... yadda yadda yadda... it's been nearly 6 months and Tesla has fixed none of them.

The second one we bought a few weeks later and I demanded to see it before the paperwork would be signed. It took a fair bit of convincing to let this occur as their usual process is not seeing it let alone driving it prior to the paperwork being complete.

This is how they run the used car game by default and in the words of our 2nd delivery adviser upon requesting to see the car first several times "most people just sign all of the paperwork before they see the car so I'll have to see if we can make an exception" coupled with what I've read online tells me I'm not unique in my experience.

We've bought two CPO cars form Tesla and this was the case in both instances.

The first one ended up being a mess after we already signed the paperwork and were promised it would be fixed before we left... yadda yadda yadda... it's been nearly 6 months and Tesla has fixed none of them.

The second one we bought a few weeks later and I demanded to see it before the paperwork would be signed. It took a fair bit of convincing to let this occur as their usual process is not seeing it let alone driving it prior to the paperwork being complete.

This is how they run the used car game by default and in the words of our 2nd delivery adviser upon requesting to see the car first several times "most people just sign all of the paperwork before they see the car so I'll have to see if we can make an exception" coupled with what I've read online tells me I'm not unique in my experience.

As you found out if you put your foot down and ask to be treated in a reasonable way, they will oblige.

If anyone is in the market for a CPO car, don't give two cents about what they say their "policies" are. Tell them you will only accept an undamaged car and you will only pay after you have inspected the car carefully.

I can't believe we are even discussing the importance of inspecting a used car that costs about as much as the median US annual income before paying for that car, especially now that they are selling these cars without any meaningful quality standards with some cars that look like they came from a junkyard!

You are right in that they are running a "game" and it is up to the customers who play the "game" to make sure they are not screwed.

As you found out if you put your foot down and ask to be treated in a reasonable way, they will oblige.

If anyone is in the market for a CPO car, don't give two cents about what they say their "policies" are. Tell them you will only accept an undamaged car and you will only pay after you have inspected the car carefully.

I can't believe we are even discussing the importance of inspecting a used car that costs about as much as the median US annual income before paying for that car, especially now that they are selling these cars without any meaningful quality standards with some cars that look like they came from a junkyard!

You are right in that they are running a "game" and it is up to the customers who play the "game" to make sure they are not screwed.

My post was in response to someone who seemed shocked when another person posted:

"Wait what!! I was told I wasn’t allowed to see it prior to actually taking ownership of the vehicle!!???(CPO that is!)"

I was backing up what Tesla's stance was on CPO & Used cars.

Keep in mind that at the time we bought the first car it was indeed a CPO and therefore we were buying the Tesla BS sales pitch that it was inspected and they would stand behind the product in the end. After all, when I'm talking to a representative of the company who promises the car is in great condition and anything we find will be addressed am I supposed to call him or her a liar?

The first time they didn't come straight out and say "You can't see it" but instead said things like "We don't know where the car is right now" and "It's being detailed" and other BS lines they tried to feed me the 2nd time too. Super passive aggressive but effective against fist-time Tesla buyers as was evidenced by our first transaction.

It was only after I put my foot down the second time and shrugged off all of the same BS excuses that I was able to walk right out front and examine it. It was funny too because they were using all of the exact same BS excuses of not knowing where it was and going to see and then coming back to say they confirmed it was in detail and to just sign the paperwork. I finally had to tell her to her face "It's that car right there" as I pointed to the car through the front window that they told me they couldn't find and then confirmed it was in detail. It had been sitting there since the moment Lyft dropped us off at the dealership because I was looking for it in the parking lot.

The point is that you can ask for anything as the buyer before you sing paperwork. It's up to them if they want to agree or not. I would assume that in most cases you can strong arm your way to seeing the car beforehand but that's an exception and not the rule. I'm telling you what their policy is for used car sales and this is part of why I want to get the word out so that people do insist on seeing before signing anything binding because Tesla is fleecing people and banking on typical scummy sales tactics which is sad for a company that has said they're trying to change the car buying experience. Well, they are but not for the better.

They have changed the buying experience alright.

Unfortunately, not for the better. :(

This is why anyone buying a CPO car should insist on a car that is not trashed and damaged and verify the condition of the car with a personal inspection before payment. This is the only way to protect yourself as they would sell a car that looks like it came from a junkyard if they could find a fool to purchase it. certainly not how they should do business or treat anyone but that's what we have at the moment.

They have changed the buying experience alright.

Unfortunately, not for the better. :(

This is why anyone buying a CPO car should insist on a car that is not trashed and damaged and verify the condition of the car with a personal inspection before payment. This is the only way to protect yourself as they would sell a car that looks like it came from a junkyard if they could find a fool to purchase it. certainly not how they should do business or treat anyone but that's what we have at the moment.

Please don't use the term CPO anymore as Tesla took extensive steps to erase it from their lexicon 100%. The term "CPO" no longer exists in the world of Tesla so I try to refrain from using it as to avoid confusing others. When I bought mine they were CPO which I assumed meant I was protected from buying junk. What I found is that that simply isn't the case and the term CPO and the assurances the Tesla reps gave me were lies. It sounds like I wasn't alone and LOTS of people who bought the second half of 2018 are pissed by the false claims and promises that haven't been fulfilled.

Also, keep in mind that step 1 is to put down a $2,500 deposit that is "transferable within 72 hours" and the conversation I had with sales advisers make this process seem like an impossibility. In my case, the car was sold to me as being in Colorado, Rocky Mountain Region. Once I put the deposit down I was contacted (days later... past the 72hrs even though I took numerous steps to contact Tesla before the 72hrs since I didn't hear from anyone) to see when I could pick the car up in Seattle. When I responded that I put a deposit on a car in Denver I was told that that wasn't accurate and I needed to pick the car up in Seattle or risk forfeiting my deposit if he couldn't get management to authorize a transfer to another car. So it's not as simple as making demands "before payment" as there is some skin in the fight from the jump. Sure you can try to do all of this before placing the deposit but if it's a good deal it can and will sell fast. I saw it personally dozens of times.

Btw, Tesla stopped calling them CPO cars. They are just called ‘used’ cars now as they do not go through the stringent refurbishing process that they used to do. They won’t even publish what’s in the 70-point inspection checklist.
FYI they never did go through a 70 point inspection nor were they refurbished. Maybe one time many years ago this was the case but look at anyone who bought CPO in the calendar year 2018 and most all of them have stories similar to mine.

Did I mention I'm STILL waiting for title work for a car I took delivery of 9/11/18? ROFL

You're not allowed to see a CPO car from Tesla until you pay for it? I'm confused... o_O:confused: Who told you that?

I was told that by the Tesla representative that I wouldn’t be able to see the car. Which I why I asked for additional pictures, because the car looked a little beat up! He also further stated the car would be cleaned but Tesla doesn’t refurbish! I was a little disappointed to find this out!! Some of the pictures were not very clear, and he also told me that was all the pictures he had!!!even a used car dealership would go out to take more pictures or even a wan through if needed!!

Now I’m just confused! I don’t know if it’s better to get a used car, that I can at least see! I’m just concerned about the extended warranty! High line auto sales recently contacted me and apparently “is the only one” who has an extended warranty & can apparently take the car to any Tesla dealership??

Any thoughts or actually experience with the extended warranty out of Texas?
As always!
Thanks again guys for everything !;-)

Now I’m just confused! I don’t know if it’s better to get a used car, that I can at least see! I’m just concerned about the extended warranty! High line auto sales recently contacted me and apparently “is the only one” who has an extended warranty & can apparently take the car to any Tesla dealership??

As always!

I’ve gone back and forth on this. If you get one outside of Tesla, at least you can inspect the vehicle up close, but then you’ll need to purchase a 3rd party extended warranty.

If you get one through Tesla, there’s really no telling what’s gonna show up to the delivery center, since the photos they send appear to be taken by a potato. Add that to the fact they don’t let you inspect or test drive until you’re about to take delivery. Also, too many stories of titles being lost or not being sent over. Sounds like too much of a mixed bag.

Where I’m at currently is getting a new Model 3 with full warranty and in new condition, added in with the benefits of all the rebates and tax refund.

As always!

I bought used from Tesla in September 2018, almost the same car I posted here except for blue. The pictures looked good and everything worked really well, the process was very smooth for me. I know there are some people that did not have the same experience but mine was great, so it does exist. I did have to look for a while until I found a car that looked like it was in good condition from the pictures, but I would 100% do it again because of the included 4 year / 50k warranty. The original car you posted I would be skeptical about because of the damage, but the refreshed 75 looks pretty good. Hopefully if you decide to move on it you'll have a similar good experience. As for the 75 battery I find it very comfortable in short and long distances. Good luck with your search.

As always!
If the car is new enough it will still carry a factory warranty that transfers to the new owner. This depends on the miles and year of the car and isn't unique to any specific 3rd party dealership or seller.

The search is still one...what do you guys think about this one???

Used Tesla Model S For Sale - CarGurus

Thanks again guys for everything once again!!??

I know! Not the color combo I really wanted but a friend sent this to me while on the hunt for his own car!! I told him I had to run it by the Tesla Gurus!! Lol
I would NOT deal with ALM for a car. Ever.

There's another thread where a P85D they have on their lot was being discussed because it was a very good deal... on paper. It ended up having an accident history plus a mileage discrepancy and they didn't disclose it plus they're giant D bags. I myself had several grueling conversations with a few people from that place over the same care and you couldn't pay me enough to deal with them. Stay away! I'm sure someone unsuspecting that doesn't do their due diligence will buy them both thinking they are good deals but they'll regret that decision for many years.

DO NOT DEAL WITH ALM IN GEORGIA!

Not a fan of that color personally, but that’s all upto the individual.

Looks like a good deal for a 16 75D. Looks to be a 2 year lease return.

Has EAP enabled. Has premium package. Has all glass roof. Does not have air suspension.

Assume the original new car warranty is still in place even though car is being sold through a dealer? Looks like main screen needs replacing. Photos sort of show the yellow halo issue around edges. Not totally sure, but seems like it.

I would NOT deal with ALM for a car. Ever.

There's another thread where a P85D they have on their lot was being discussed because it was a very good deal... on paper. It ended up having an accident history plus a mileage discrepancy and they didn't disclose it plus they're giant D bags. I myself had several grueling conversations with a few people from that place over the same care and you couldn't pay me enough to deal with them. Stay away! I'm sure someone unsuspecting that doesn't do their due diligence will buy them both thinking they are good deals but they'll regret that decision for many years.

DO NOT DEAL WITH ALM IN GEORGIA!
Oh wow!! So good to know!! I’ve always gone directly to the dealership itself(ie. BMW, Audi)&have never really heard much about them!?? Good/bad.I just know they have several large dealerships in GA! But this is upsetting...well back to the drawing board I take it! Ugh
How do you even find out discrepancies as such! Geez! Why can’t dealeships just be honest & up front & realize the cars will sell themselves!!