Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advise on purchasing a used Tesla from the experts;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to the OP RedLoubs&wine and everyone else for the digression -- but I'm bored and have to challenge Troy's continued propaganda postings here (and in other threads):

Yes, thanks... and to that point, let's review Troy's claims:

Yes, we know.

"Sense of fakeness"? Seriously? This is a completely subjective aesthetic. Some people like it, some don't. And the "cheapness because of the plastic".. have you actually ever gotten that close to an older Model S to know that? It's not "cheap plastic." You realize you're crapping on a design by Franz von Holzhausen, who still does all of Tesla's designs? He designed the grill that way on purpose, to ease the public's transition to electric cars. It actually had a purpose -- he wanted the design, at first, to 'fit in' to more traditional car designs, and then slowly update it later, which he has done. But this is just your attempt to crap on anything that's not a Model 3. And why should any Tesla owner care what other people think of what kind of car they are driving, even if it is an older Model S? It's still a freaking TESLA. This reveals much more about your own insecurities and low self-esteem than it does anything about other people who choose to buy and PROUDLY drive a "nosecone grill" Model S. Some people already consider it "classic."

A difference of SIX PERCENT. It's not even that much of a difference but you make it sound awful. And of course you cherry-pick your data to support your claims. You left out that that 233 miles for a M3 Mid Range is only when equipped with 18" Aero wheels. The same M3MR with 19" rims gets LESS range (211 miles) than the Model S85. And the same M3MR with 18" rims and non-Aero wheels gets almost the same range as the S85 (223 miles, a difference of just 4 miles). But how nice of you to leave all that out, which is even more interesting because all that data comes from your own website (which has its own flawed methodology, but I won't get into that now).

Stop making it sound like AP1 sucks. Up until recently, AP1 and AP2 were at parity. AP2 is only now offering some features not in AP1. There's absolutely nothing wrong with "being stuck with AP1". There are thousands of AP1 cars out there, and it works REALLY REALLY WELL. For someone just getting into their first used Tesla, AP1 is, and always will be very usable and stable.

And also nobody knows when the "upgrade to AP3.0" will happen. Retrofits are probably not happening "in a few months" and probably won't happen until the software for more advanced EAP and FSD is ready to take advantage of the new AP3 hardware. That could be years away. So people on AP2 or AP2.5 are also "stuck" (using your words) until that happens.

Subjective. Also, not really that important.

That's a strech. It's a relatively slower, but not "slow".

Did the OP say anything about needing a roof rack?

How about this? You still can't buy an Extended Service Agreement (extended warranty) from Tesla for a Model 3. Seems like you forgot to include that fact.

Again, nice cherry-picking. Why didn't you say that Model 3 costs 28% less than Model S? I'll tell you.. because 41% sounds a lot worse than 28%. But both are saying exactly the same thing.

No, that's not the reason. The reason the Model S and X cost more is because there is a market for these cars at the higher price points, and people would (gladly) pay those prices. Elon Musk has explained many many times the Tesla Super Secret Master Plan is:
  • Build sports car (Roadster)
  • Use that money to build an affordable car (MS+MX)
  • Use that money to build an even more affordable car (M3)
  • While doing above, also provide zero emission electric power generation options
(Source: The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me))

I really don't know why you have to come up with these insane theories about the efficiency of the NUMMI plant before Tesla even owned it. That's just misleading and disingenuous hyperbole. Please Stop.

What you naively exclude in your "analysis" is that Tesla is a public company. If they upgraded the efficiency of the MS/MX line and lowered the costs, they would most likely still charge the SAME PRICE -- as long as there is demand -- and significantly increase the margins on the MS/MX line, which would drive up the stock price and company valuation. Elon Musk has a $2.6 billion compensation plan that only pays out if he gets Tesla to an market valuation of $650 billion in the next 10 years. He doesn't do that by lowering the price of the most expensive cars just because the manufacturing line becomes more efficient. Finance 101.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Just to add a couple of first-hand data points:

AP1 was actually considered better than AP2 by many people up until very recently where the development of the in-house AP2 finally caught up with the years of development of the outgoing AP1 system. Sure, AP2 will have newer features than AP1 but that's not to say that AP1 is a significant downgrade especially at this point in time. All that being said, our 2013 car doesn't have any AP at all and some ask if it drives itself but most are still floored by the car itself. I do like driving my wife's AP1 2015 car whenever we're together but wouldn't allow AP make or break a deal let alone the [minor] difference between AP1 & AP2. Just make sure you are paying the proper market value for a car with AP1, AP2 or none at all and you'll be just fine. No cause to lose sleep.

Also, as to the highly subjective opinion on the nose cone: I personally prefer the refresh but as those are expensive vehicles we own two Model S pre-facelift cars. Not once has someone said to me "man, is that that older car?" and in fact everyone thinks it's a brand new car until I explain they're 3/5 years old. Most don't even believe me until I point out the odometer and none of them even mention the nose cone. Those that know the cars and actually bring up the nose cone do so in order to say that the news ones look "funky" to them and that they prefer the previous version that looks more "normal" to them. I can't tell you how many times I've had these exact two conversations. It's actually made me dislike the nose cone on my own cars even less after finding out that I may actually be in the minority for those who prefer the facelift cars.

There are about 6 months of 2016 AP1 facelift cars and 2-3 months of 2016 AP2 facelift cars. You asked earlier and I will agree that those with AP2 are unicorns. They were! Those cars from the end of 2016 and the first two weeks of 2017 were the last cars to offer free lifetime Supercharging that transferred to the new owner. I just sold mine last weekend and it was hard for buyers to find comparable cars because they weren't offered for long. When they were up for sale, they were often snatched up quickly by buyers who recognized their uniqueness.

Oh wow!!! Lol!! The more I educate myself the more difficult this decision gets!!!! Gosh! Maybe I’ll have to settle for the non AP2/non facelift car...if it gets too cumbersome!! Or if you know anyone in this group or run across them...send them my way!!
I’m curious, how much should I expect for the AP2/2016 facelift cars to cost?? I know you have to factor in so many other things such as mileage/battery etc but I’m just wondering?
Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Oh wow!! Why did I set myself up for this! Lol!! The more I educate myself the more difficult this decision gets!!!! Gosh! Maybe I’ll have to settle for the non AP2/non facelift car...if it gets too cumbersome!! Or if you know anyone in this group or run across them...send them my way!!
I’m curious, how much should I expect for the AP2/2016 facelift cars to cost?? I know you have to factor in so many other things such as mileage/battery etc but I’m just wondering?
Thanks guys!
Here are some threads of 2016 AP2 cars that have been recently sold through TMC
December 2016 Model S 90 D with Autopilot 2.0 and Free Lifetime Supercharging
2016 AP2 Model S 90D for sale in Pittsburgh PA
2016 Model S 75D (facelift) - Chicago

Also check out onlyusedtesla.com for more listings. You can filter on that site by AP type to see options.

• Helpful
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
In a podcast released today here, Elon talks about improvements to Autopilot. This should give people an idea about what kind of improvements to expect and how AP1.0 might feel more outdated a year from now.

The car still fricken DRIVES ITSELF! I have to remind my wife all the time when she says "earlier it stopped abruptly behind a car at a red light rather than slowing down sooner like it normally does" to which I have to remind her: your car is fricken DRIVING ITSELF! When did that become "outdated" according to your opinion?

You make it sound like all these AP1 cars are just driving their occupants over cliffs and the fact of the matter is they still do a damn fine job in day to day use. The difference will be in NEW features and not in execution of current features so making it sound like Ap1 is going to suddenly stop working one day is disingenuous at best. On paper you make the differences seem like a mountain when in reality they're not even a mole-hill at this point in time. Some even have proven that AP1 still handles navigating streets and curves (you know, the important aspects of autopilot?) better than AP2 still. I have no doubt that someday the data will allow for a better overall experience but as of right now it's not a deal maker or breaker and that's a fair and honest neutral assessment of AP1 v AP2. For someone getting their first Tesla AP1 will amaze them every time the pull the stalk back twice to activate it.

I mean, to your point of obsolescence, your hardware will be leap-frogged at some point soon too and when that happens you invested more in terms of depreciation for outgoing tech. Some would say the smarter money is to buy the well cared for used that that has taken the financial hit while marveling at just how much of a better car it is than your outgoing ICE car and enjoy ownership and how it improves your life for 3-5 years (perhaps more) and then see what else can be had that's more advanced and has taken the depreciation hit already.

Acting like your decision to buy a Model 3 is somehow superior to everyone around you especially given your reasons why simply makes you look like a blow hard who has no respect for anything other than what he personally owns. Not a good look when trying to win people over with your experience.

You get AP1.0 instead of AP2.5. You will be stuck with AP1.0 instead of having the option to upgrade to AP3.0 in a few months.**

** Oh, and in addition, Troy "forgot" to mention this: In order to be eligible to upgrade from AP2.0/2.5 to AP3.0 ("coming soon"), you must buy the Full Self Driving (FSD) option, which is an additional $5,000 after delivery. Otherwise, you don't get any option to upgrade to AP3.0, and all of those owners will be "stuck" on AP2.x.

S will generally cost more to charge than a 3 since it's not as efficient of a car. However most S you are shopping for will have free lifetime supercharging, and depending on availability around you and where you are going your actual S charging costs could be less.

Omg!! That would be exactly what I’m looking for! Except I just love red! But wow, that really has me thinking twice! Well I guess now I run into the issue of the

Oh wow! Much appreciation! This is exactly what I would be looking for! Except I do love red! But this blue and everything it has is really make me think about it!! ;-) I guess my new issue I run into with 2016’s is finding the one with the “facelift”! Oh vey!! Lol

I realize you want a red car but print a copy of that CPO listing, as it shows the current pricing for an 85D CPO if you are patient and look around. Better yet, print it as a PDF. This way if you see a private party car at a higher price, you can forward the Tesla CPO listing PDF and use that as a basis to negotiate a reasonable price after pointing out that the Tesla CPO car is sold with with the CPO warranty.

Do your research and be firm or you will end up overpaying as there is a very wide price spread for some of these cars so if you don't know the current pricing you can possibly spend a lot more than you should.

Before you buy, check with us :)

I got a 2014 S85 autopilot and a new 3D. If you really like the S, which is a great highway cruiser with lots of space for the kids, I would look for a CPO. You can't beat that warranty. Tesla changed a on board charger (worth $3k) and panoramic roof a few months after the original warranty expired on our S. I was glad I had a CPO.

If it were me, I would look for a 2016 S85D with next gen seats as they are more comfy than the older ones. For example: Model S 85D 5YJSA1E28GF128133 | Tesla

Lots of used S in California since the carpool sticker expired on all models registered in 2016 and prior. The 85 batteries seem to hold up pretty well too.

AP2 cars are still expensive used. Good luck.

The floodgates for AP2+ cars will open towards the end of the year. There are literally just a handful or two of them available now but before you know it there will be dozens and hundreds as there were many 2 year and 3 year leases initiated in 2016 and 2017 that are now being returned.

Having purchased a lot of used cars in 35 years, I would say be patient, and travel if needed. That small cost to travel to another location can pay off big in the long run. Don't pin yourself to something only local. Just helped a friend buy a car, he is in VA, car was in CT. He got what he wanted and saved a lot. Also typically buying private vs dealer will save you $$$. Just my experience.

Also if the Performance model is not important to you check the VIN's with your insurance there is sometimes and large difference in premiums based on the Vin, performance and non performance versions of the cars.

Last edited:
Can you give details about where you bought the microswitch? I was trying to buy a new cable from tesla and was not working with a parts guy who would sell to me like they were supposed to. I didn't have time to deal with him, and would rather buy some new switches to replace all of mine rather than $30 for each new cable. I'm fine soldering.

The microswitches used for this application are Panasonic ASQ series. Can be found at common electronics supply parts places, like Digikey. They're about ~ $5 each.

They make some pre-wired and exact matches for the ones found in Tesla door... or you can order them with lugs and solder your own wires. You'd only need to do this if you damaged a switch while working with it for some reason.

i soldered mine and bought the Tesla wiring harness which i kept for the next repair. here is an aftermarket one with stronger wire

Tesla Model S Door Handle switch flexible harness upgrade any door | eBay

Door Handle

Vendor - Door Handle Replacement Parts/Rebuild Services

• Informative
Reactions: BoerumHill
I realize you want a red car but print a copy of that CPO listing, as it shows the current pricing for an 85D CPO if you are patient and look around. Better yet, print it as a PDF. This way if you see a private party car at a higher price, you can forward the Tesla CPO listing PDF and use that as a basis to negotiate a reasonable price after pointing out that the Tesla CPO car is sold with with the CPO warranty.

Do your research and be firm or you will end up overpaying as there is a very wide price spread for some of these cars so if you don't know the current pricing you can possibly spend a lot more than you should.

Before you buy, check with us :)

Phil, you’re 100-% correct!! I will do so! I certainly don’t mind paying for a car that’s worth it but that’s exactly it...I don’t want to over pay either! I certainly will be checking with you guys before I pull the trigger...you can guarantee it!!! I haven’t heard back from the Tesla rep yet, in regards to the CPO vehicle he sent me. It appeared to have a lot of dings/scratches/even looked as if the paint was cracking on the bumper?? But I don’t know ??
I told him I didn’t know if I was just looking on my phone & couldn’t tell if it was a glare or what?? But would like more detailed pictures?
This is the link below, it’s the exact color combo I want but I know it doesn’t have the “facelift”. That would be the only thing it doesn’t have, based on what I’ve read thus far to look for!;-)
2015 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1H15FFP78846 | False, Fa | Tesla

Phil, you’re 100-% correct!! I will do so! I certainly don’t mind paying for a car that’s worth it but that’s exactly it...I don’t want to over pay either! I certainly will be checking with you guys before I pull the trigger...you can guarantee it!!! I haven’t heard back from the Tesla rep yet, in regards to the CPO vehicle he sent me. It appeared to have a lot of dings/scratches/even looked as if the paint was cracking on the bumper?? But I don’t know ??
I told him I didn’t know if I was just looking on my phone & couldn’t tell if it was a glare or what?? But would like more detailed pictures?
This is the link below, it’s the exact color combo I want but I know it doesn’t have the “facelift”. That would be the only thing it doesn’t have, based on what I’ve read thus far to look for!;-)
2015 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1H15FFP78846 | False, Fa | Tesla

That car looks like it is in rough condition with all the scratches and paint damage.

Ask yourself these questions...
  • How would you feel like if someone keyed your car and you needed to have it repainted.
  • How would you feel if you got into a minor fender bender and damaged your bumper
  • Or what if someone vandalized your car?
  • Or a gravel truck pulled in front of you and dumped rocks all over your paint and damaged it?
Now why on earth would you want to buy a car that is new-to-you with all that damage on day one?!

How many weeks and at what cost will you need to fix all that damage and then what if the paint doesn't match?

I think it is ridiculous for them to sell cars with excess damage when they should instead present a quality product that is undamaged. If I were you, I would politely ask them to find you a clean undamaged car or sell you a car where they will fix the damage. Don't let them tel you some nonsense about this is a used car and all used cars are like this.

Here are some 85D and 90D cars for you to consider, all in the mid to late 40s. All have AWD and Autopilot.

Model S 90D 5YJSA1E20FF102365 | Tesla
Model S 85D 5YJSA1H20FF093419 | Tesla
Model S 85D 5YJSA1H2XFF097574 | Tesla
Model S 85D 5YJSA1E2XFF107377 | Tesla

You didn't mention the budget but here's your car found through EV-CPO.com Its local and red with free supercharging..
https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/index.php

Model S 75D 5YJSA1E2XGF134502 | Tesla

or if you don't need a D

Model S 75 5YJSA1E11GF156265 | Tesla
Oh wow, thank you for this!! This website is awesome! I feel like the more i continue researching, the more my budget continues to climb! You guys are turning me into an obsessed Tesla lady and I don't even have one yet!!! I would like to keep it around 45 K. Just because I have found cars i really like and would really more than suffice but just wasn't the color combination I wanted. This also is a second (technically 3rd) vehicle for me as well. I have not given up the beemer or my other commuter car! I plan on passing it down to a in a year when she gets her license.I feel like this may be the first (Tesla) of many however!!

Reactions: b team
That car looks like it is in rough condition with all the scratches and paint damage.

Ask yourself these questions...
  • How would you feel like if someone keyed your car and you needed to have it repainted.
  • How would you feel if you got into a minor fender bender and damaged your bumper
  • Or what if someone vandalized your car?
  • Or a gravel truck pulled in front of you and dumped rocks all over your paint and damaged it?
Now why on earth would you want to buy a car that is new-to-you with all that damage on day one?!

How many weeks and at what cost will you need to fix all that damage and then what if the paint doesn't match?

I think it is ridiculous for them to sell cars with excess damage when they should instead present a quality product that is undamaged. If I were you, I would politely ask them to find you a clean undamaged car or sell you a car where they will fix the damage. Don't let them tel you some nonsense about this is a used car and all used cars are like this.

Here are some 85D and 90D cars for you to consider, all in the mid to late 40s. All have AWD and Autopilot.

Model S 90D 5YJSA1E20FF102365 | Tesla
Model S 85D 5YJSA1H20FF093419 | Tesla
Model S 85D 5YJSA1H2XFF097574 | Tesla
Model S 85D 5YJSA1E2XFF107377 | Tesla
PhilDavid,
I couldn't agree more with you! I was really excited when I received the links of the color combo I wanted. However, after requesting more detailed pictures I was really disappointed! I couldn't believe the price they were asking for a vehicle that looked like it was a little beat up! Although hard to tell if the hood/bumper are just scratches/dents; however still was surprising! Thats almost exactly what he told me! They all had scratches/some dents; and Tesla doesn't refurbish vehicles! The Tesla I test drove at the used car dealer ship was in pristine condition but of course not a CPO! Its nice to have that piece of mid with the Tesla warranty!! Decisions...decisions...!!

Yesterday, I posted a couple remarks about buying used and BADVIN.ORG looking at used and seeing dealers buying wrecks and reselling them. Yesterday, I stopped at the Southlake, TX Tesla store and inquired about many things relating to buying used. The people there didn't mind answering my questions and offered up that NEW vehicles (showroom models were available; 75D) since being done away with. The guys shot me a couple of emails with available cars and today one caught my eye and I decided it was time to forget about worrying about getting a lemon, warranty, etc., etc. So, I purchased a new 2019 S 75D, that was in San Francisco. Now I can quit looking on the internet and researching the background of each vehicle. I can sleep tonight.