Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any after market for Hitch Cover Plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only Y owner who has the hitch (I think!) but has never taken the cover off to confirm?
I figure in due time someone will offer a good cover which I will then promptly order. I did order the tools referenced in earlier threads so that should help. I do have the tow hitch software setting though.
Nope, you're not. I'm in the exact same boat. haha.

I was going to pull the cover off when I took delivery to confirm but I asked the SA and he said he's never heard of or experienced someone getting a Y without the hitch receiver if they ordered it from factory. Also, I confirmed the software has the trailer setting enabled, which from past vehicle experience (X5 and SQ5), that doesn't get enabled unless if the hitch and wiring harness are installed.

I have the LivingTesla tools so may try to pop off my cover later this week...but I'm in no rush since I won't be towing until Spring/Summer of next year.

Supposedly you can get a new cover for $15. I thought I'd try that handle but want to have a spare when I muck it up. Anyone know how to order the spare?
I just walked into the Service Center in Smithtown, NY and asked for two covers. Two days later the cover plates arrived and I picked them up. Easy peasy. I hope to carefully cut out the 2" x 2" area and design a closable flap for when the hitch is not in use.

I just walked into the Service Center in Smithtown, NY and asked for two covers. Two days later the cover plates arrived and I picked them up. Easy peasy. I hope to carefully cut out the 2" x 2" area and design a closable flap for when the hitch is not in use.
I've thought about the square hole. I just have a bike rack but probably want to take if off to go grocery shopping etc without the rack so I might have to take the cover off fairly often anyway. Maybe the square hole with a knob on either side and a 'decorative' one when the rack is not on.

I've thought about something similar, how much were the hitch covers? I was going to cut the original and a replacement, with the replacement door oversize and held on with rare earth magnets. Or, break off all the tabs on one and put a small metal plate behind the cover on the top and bottom for the magnets to grab on to. I think that would look cleaner.

I've thought about the square hole. I just have a bike rack but probably want to take if off to go grocery shopping etc without the rack so I might have to take the cover off fairly often anyway. Maybe the square hole with a knob on either side and a 'decorative' one when the rack is not on.
Well, I can report that leaving the hitch cover off does not adversely affect anything, even with a power washer.

Is there a clear drain path between the underbody plastic panels after you directly jet water into the hitch cover opening (such as if you had to clean off a bunch of muddy crud)?
We were in Sedona for a month and there was an accumulation of Red Rock dust all over. I don't know about a drain path, but there was absolutely no water in the bumper when I put the rack on after the wash.