Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any benefit of Tesla home charger vs 220 outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW- I think first thing one needs to understand when debating the HPWC vs. 14-50 plug is total amps to the house. I am very lucky to have two 200 amp panels. I wired the garage with a 14-50 just below one of the two panels when I built the house. So last week my electrician came by and we simply added a 100 amp breaker and a direct copper wire (his choice) to the HPWC located exactly where I needed it in the garage (less than 4 feet away from the 14-50 plug). But total amperage on this panel is now only 190 total amps on the panel (with at least 50 amps (14-50) never drawing current.). I was fortunate to have that kind of power available to spend on my 100 amp charger. If I only had one 200 amp panel, would likely not been an option. Of course for me, the 14-50 would have been very adequate.

One question for you folks- what is your cost per Kw??? I found out yesterday that I pay $.12 all the time. No off-peak reduction. Ouch! What does everyone else pay??? Just curious.

0.08/kwh...but, distribution cost is added to that...another 0.08/kwh (estimate)....around 0.16/kwh.

But, I charge the car at work and at the super chargers. Rarely use my home charge. Hence, I wasted money on installing a HPWC which I never use.

One question for you folks- what is your cost per Kw??? I found out yesterday that I pay $.12 all the time. No off-peak reduction. Ouch! What does everyone else pay??? Just curious.

FWIW- I think first thing one needs to understand when debating the HPWC vs. 14-50 plug is total amps to the house. I am very lucky to have two 200 amp panels. I wired the garage with a 14-50 just below one of the two panels when I built the house. So last week my electrician came by and we simply added a 100 amp breaker and a direct copper wire (his choice) to the HPWC located exactly where I needed it in the garage (less than 4 feet away from the 14-50 plug). But total amperage on this panel is now only 190 total amps on the panel (with at least 50 amps (14-50) never drawing current.). I was fortunate to have that kind of power available to spend on my 100 amp charger. If I only had one 200 amp panel, would likely not been an option. Of course for me, the 14-50 would have been very adequate.

$0.10/kWh, but since my house is EnergyStar rated, I get a discount down to $0.095/kWh.

Here is the chart for Tesla charging speeds with the High Power Wall Connector

upload_2018-10-17_20-14-55.png

@cmaster What size breaker are you connected to? 72 amp would be faster than 40 mph. I get 46mph with my hpwc set at 64amp (80amp breaker). My point here is in you are on a smaller breaker you should turn your setting on the hwpc to match. Won’t cost you any speed but will just make sure all safety limits are in sync. If you get 40mph it sounds like 56amp draw on a 70 amp breaker?
I just got my HPWC installed yesterday, 80Amp breaker and I have model X 100D on screen it says 64amp charges 42mph
We have a NEMA 14-50 for my husband’s S 75D that charges 22-24mph
The electrician is coming back to change 80amp breakers to 100amp
I’m wondering if you know how many mph will my X charge at that size breaker?
It’s a back to back installation so I’m assuming not much energy wasted
I want maximum output for the wall charger since we might ending up getting model 3 & Y for the kids

I just got my HPWC installed yesterday, 80Amp breaker and I have model X 100D on screen it says 64amp charges 42mph
I want maximum output for the wall charger since we might ending up getting model 3 & Y for the kids

It's literally in the chart above your post...

You would go from a snail paced 42mph charging @ 64amps to a blazing fast 45mph @ 72amps. From empty to 100% (295miles) you would charge 28 minutes faster from 7 hours to 6 hours and 32 minutes.

I thought the newer X100D maxed out at 48 Amp onboard charging? Is your X100D an order model since you already charging at 64 Amp.. I think those have 72 Amp max?

Reactions: Rocky_H
I thought the newer X100D maxed out at 48 Amp onboard charging? Is your X100D an order model since you already charging at 64 Amp.. I think those have 72 Amp max?
Yes, all of the newer ones being built are only the 48A onboard chargers. But in this, the answer already presents itself. Since they can currently get 64A already, it definitely does have the 72A charger in it.

Reactions: Akikiki
Yinn, yes, I think you are correct with your statement only in the P100D's or 100D's. And Yes, I think there was a time that you could get the 72A as a pay for option in the 60D.

Ali'sMax, the 3 or Y is not going to charge as fast as the S or X. Smaller onboard charger.

Is the 72A only in P100Ds now? I remember when a 60D could get the 72A
No--not with the word "now". That's how it has been for the past couple of years or so. The S and X with the smaller 75 batteries had the 48A charger. Period. The 100 batteries had the 72A charger. Period. There was a little time even before that, where they did offer the option to upgrade to the 72A charger for the smaller battery cars, but that was longer than a couple years ago.

Back in mid December, they stopped offering the 72A charger at all for any vehicle. But then just a week or two ago, they announced that they are discontinuing the 75 kWh battery size anyway, so all you can get is a 100 kWh with a 48A onboard charger for any new builds right now.

There's a little uncertainty about this. It is stated with certainty in several posts on this site that no X made after November has the 72A charger. But my car was made in December and does. On the bill of sale it is listed as a Premium Charging option (or something like that) and came free. The charger has (or had) three locations in it for three boards which obviously handle 24 A each. Several possibilities suggest themselves.

1)Newer chargers' cases only have 2 slots
2)Newer chargers use the same case but only have 2 modules installed
3)The chargers are the same as they always were but have one of the modules crippled in firmware

The first two possibilities would mean they could produce the car cheaper (once the retooling for the smaller case in the event of No. 1 was recovered). The third is interesting in that they could offer the Premium Charging at a later date for a fee. No. 3 also suggests that in the event of failure of one of the other modules they can get you back up to 48 amps with firmware.

I would suggest to anyone considering an X who wants 72 A charging that he ask the sales people if that option is available.

There's a little uncertainty about this. It is stated with certainty in several posts on this site that no X made after November has the 72A charger. But my car was made in December and does.
Then you got one of the last few (hundreds/thousands?) of cars with it. It was a totally silent change that Tesla did not announce, but people have been trying to nail down when it happened, and it seems to be mid to late December.

A small word of caution here. With an 80 Amp breaker you can use No. 4 wire (95 A @ 90 °C). With a 100A breaker you will have to go to No. 3. Your X isn't going to draw more than 72 A in any case so it's not a matter of the wire but rather that by code the breaker must protect the wire. 80A isn't going to melt No. 4 THHN rated at 95 A.

When the electrician installed you HPWC he set a little rotary switch in it to a setting indicating that it was connected to an 80A breaker. Based on this it instructs the car to draw no more than 0.8*80 = 64 A. When he increases the wire size to No. 3, installs the 100 A breaker and resets the dial from B to D the HPWC will now tell the car it can draw 0.8*100 = 80 A. As you are getting more than 48 A on the 80 A breaker it is clear that the car has the three module charger. It will now draw as much as 72 A and, presumably, give you 42*72/64 = 47.25 mph. FYI: that is just about exactly what I get if charging early in the day with the same setup. The mph figure depends not only on the amps drawn but on the line voltage (which is also displayed). During periods of heavy load at your house (i.e. when the heatpumps are recovering from overnight setbacks and e-heat is likely to be on) the other loads in your house will impose high current draw on your service feeders with a resulting voltage drop. As you neighbors are likely to be imposing heavy load on the network the voltage may be lower at you transformer as well. This results in lower power being delivered to the battery and consequently lower mph numbers such as 42.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
A small word of caution here. With an 80 Amp breaker you can use No. 4 wire (95 A @ 90 °C). With a 100A breaker you will have to go to No. 3. Your X isn't going to draw more than 72 A in any case so it's not a matter of the wire but rather that by code the breaker must protect the wire. 80A isn't going to melt No. 4 THHN rated at 95 A.
You have to go with the lowest common denominator of the temperature ratings of everything on the circuit. That includes all of the connection points, not just the wire maximum temperature rating by itself. Residential circuit breakers are never 90 degrees C rated. They are generally 75 C, and the wall connector installation manual says to use the 75 C temperature rating for its connections and the rating to look at for the wire size. In this case, the recommendations come out the same, because it's 85A (not 95A) for the 4 gauge and 100A for the 3 gauge, but this is just so people understand how to use temperature ratings.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Ali’sMax: Another thing I meant to mention: for anything over 60A (which you have now and will have with the new breaker installed) there must be a disconnect which can be locked open. I assume you have that but thought I'd better mention it in case it got overlooked. The guy that pulled my wire knew about this because he'd installed several HPWC's on his previous job but his boss didn't.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H