Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any concerns with UMC overheating in weatherproof box?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all - I'm debating different solutions to charge my MY via the UMC, since the cable doesn't reach from the garage. One option I've seen floated on here is using a weatherproof box (like this) to hold one end of an extension cord and the UMC. However, I was surprised this didn't bring up any concerns for overheating. Should I be wary of that?

Thanks!

What is a UMC? The mobile connector? Why is it called a UMC?
The original name for it for many years was the "Universal Mobile Connector". It was called "Universal", because there were different adapter plugs available for it to be used for many different types of outlets. Most other electric cars just came with one simple cable that just had one fixed plug on it, so they were more limited and specific, so pointing out that this one was universal was informative.

Reactions: woolymammoth17
Upvote 0
Very helpful - thank you! Especially knowing that it needs ventilation, that makes the box not as helpful for overnight charging.

Pretty sure that I'm just going to end up with either a 240volt outlet and the charger hanging down from the wall (in the rain :/ ) or spring for a wall charger.

Upvote 0
Very helpful - thank you! Especially knowing that it needs ventilation, that makes the box not as helpful for overnight charging.

Pretty sure that I'm just going to end up with either a 240volt outlet and the charger hanging down from the wall (in the rain :/ ) or spring for a wall charger.
For permanent outdoor installation, use the Wall Connector is the way to go.

Upvote 0