Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any configuration regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah exactly.

But I want to see what the dash looks like with the white seats. Like a whole cabin picture not just the dash if that makes cents
This is mine (not quite whole cabin, but more than just the dash) with a black vinyl wrap on the dash. I love the bright airy feeling of the white interior, and mine was from before they had any wraparound onto the door, so the white on the dash stood out a bit. Installing the vinyl was very easy, the trim just pops out.
Z6D_5809.jpg

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
I had a 2021 MY blue/white and got an alcatera dash cover to match the alcatera wireless charging :) Got rid of the glare and was a nice matching material. I believe in keeping varying trim styles and materials to a minimum or else it gets cluttered. Can only have so many diff materials in the same confined space!

I agree. I personally know two people who got the standard range Model 3. Both regretted it. One has already replaced his car with a long range version. My default recommendation to people looking to buy a Tesla is to avoid the standard range version.
However, the SR+/RWD has also been increasing range (now EPA 272 miles), including practical matters beyond just the increased rated range:
* LFP battery likely has significantly slower capacity/range loss than the older NCA battery.
* Heat pump heating takes less of a range penalty in cool weather.

But also, people need to look at how their previous car economy was relative to the rated economy. Those who tend to get significantly worse economy than rated in other cars should consider derating range by a similar percentage for any EV when asking "does this EV have enough range?".

No regrets for me.

Reactions: Oil Freedom
But also, people need to look at how their previous car economy was relative to the rated economy. Those who tend to get significantly worse economy than rated in other cars should consider derating range by a similar percentage for any EV when asking "does this EV have enough range?".
May seem like that on the surface but maybe not. If you have an ICE car and spend most of your time in town at slow speeds and a lot of stop-start, then you typically get worse than rated. That flips around if you drive on the highway UNLESS you are driving at very high speeds.

For most EVs, they are pretty efficient in town compared to higher speeds. Not a lot of energy is wasted sitting at a lot. I notice my watt-hours/mile are lower in town than when driving 80 mph. YMMV of course.

Look at the EPA ratings and you will see city empg is better than highway. So your particular use case will drive whether better or worse.

May seem like that on the surface but maybe not. If you have an ICE car and spend most of your time in town at slow speeds and a lot of stop-start, then you typically get worse than rated. That flips around if you drive on the highway UNLESS you are driving at very high speeds.

For most EVs, they are pretty efficient in town compared to higher speeds. Not a lot of energy is wasted sitting at a lot. I notice my watt-hours/mile are lower in town than when driving 80 mph. YMMV of course.

Look at the EPA ratings and you will see city empg is better than highway. So your particular use case will drive whether better or worse.
You can still do relative comparisons for city-to-city and highway-to-highway. For example, when driving in the city, racing up to a red light and slamming on the brakes barely in time is less economical that gradually slowing to the red light, whether you drive an ICEV or EV. On the highway, how fast you drive is a big factor due to aerodynamic drag.

Also, some conditions affect both city and highway driving. For example, if you prefer tires that are not low rolling resistance like the ones typically found on new cars, then you should expect worse economy in both city and highway driving.

I think the biggest feeling of regret is the FOMO for having delivery right after a price drop/new feature change/option/battery is announced. When I got my 2018 Mid Range Model 3 in Feb 2019, nearly 2 weeks later a large price drop was announced as well as discontinuation of the Mid-Range with white exterior being the default option(where as it used to be a $2000 upgrade). Same sentiments were thrown around come time of heat pump being announced, new interior door trim, power trunk(for M3), heated steering wheel, trim refresh, and so on. It is a really shitty feeling to know your car just got dated and isn't the newest version, and although that comes with any other car brand, you usually would get a discount or the newer version is more expensive

• Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid
I think the biggest feeling of regret is the FOMO for having delivery right after a price drop/new feature change/option/battery is announced. When I got my 2018 Mid Range Model 3 in Feb 2019, nearly 2 weeks later a large price drop was announced as well as discontinuation of the Mid-Range with white exterior being the default option(where as it used to be a $2000 upgrade). Same sentiments were thrown around come time of heat pump being announced, new interior door trim, power trunk(for M3), heated steering wheel, trim refresh, and so on. It is a really shitty feeling to know your car just got dated and isn't the newest version, and although that comes with any other car brand, you usually would get a discount or the newer version is more expensive
Not discount, bad wording. I mean that newer versions would be more expensive and bring older versions lower in price a bit (in most cases). Whereas Tesla manufacturing updates would be thrown willy nilly and be the same price for a while

Since tesla only has normal colors no regrets I love white cars with dark tint and accents. Also while the white seats look neat I'm a nut so I would be a crazy person trying to keep them clean. I came from driving a show car and being a nut everyday. I'm really tired of washing my car every time I drive it to work. Not driving in the snow or rain. I just want something I can relax in and is crazy fast and fun that doesn't drive me nuts everyday trying to maintain.
Also the reason I didn't go with the performance. I don't need rubber band tires on my 100 mile commute or more expensive tire, wheels and brakes. The LR +boost is plenty fast and really I'm never going to track the thing and if I do I'm not sweating the 3.2 vs 3.7 0-60 I'd just be out there to have some fun.

Reactions: Graham J