Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any difference between taking a car from the inventory vs. wait for a 2021 model to be built?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi:

I just placed an order for a new model X 2 days ago, and found a car in the inventory matching my order. This is a 2020 model with 6 miles. I'm trying to decide whether I should grab this one or wait for custom ordering the car which is estimated ~2 months wait time. Sales told me it's the same car except different model year. I tried to find out when exactly was this car built but did not get an answer.

I'm wondering whether anyone know if there is anything to watch out for, to take a car that's left in the inventory, and whether any known differences of this 2020 model vs. the 2021 model in 2 months?

Hi:

I just placed an order for a new model X 2 days ago, and found a car in the inventory matching my order. This is a 2020 model with 6 miles. I'm trying to decide whether I should grab this one or wait for custom ordering the car which is estimated ~2 months wait time. Sales told me it's the same car except different model year. I tried to find out when exactly was this car built but did not get an answer.

I'm wondering whether anyone know if there is anything to watch out for, to take a car that's left in the inventory, and whether any known differences of this 2020 model vs. the 2021 model in 2 months?

See if you can find it here:

Tesla Info: A buyer's guide, worldwide inventory listings and support for owners

If you can find the build date, and can determine that it has an "H pack", then it probably is pretty close to 2021 specs.

You'll have the 250kW charging and the range boost.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200

Is the 2020 inventory car relatively close by? If not, you may have to pay an extra transport fee to ship from a distant location AND if you choose to refuse delivery for whatever reason, you'd still be on the hook for the transport cost..

I'd say stick with the 2021 unless you desperately need the car now. It may not take the full two months for delivery. Tesla also has many 2021 inventory cars available right now. None of those match your order I assume?

Hi:

Yes, there is a risk here. Tesla recently changed the battery pack and added more range. There are some 2020 cars that have this new pack (Revision H), but most do not. If you get a 2021, you should get an H pack. Ask the sales person to check the battery pack and send you a link to the listing and it should show the range.

If it was me, I would just wait for the 2021. Some say they are pushed to March in EU which sounds like they are doing updates.

Last edited:
Yes, there is a risk here. Tesla recently changed the battery pack and added more range. There are some 2020 cars that have this new pack (Revision H), but most do not. If you get a 2021, you should get an H pack. Ask the sales person to check the battery pack and send you a link to the listing and it should show the range.

If it was me, I would just wait for the 2021. Some say they are pushed to March which sounds like they are doing updates.

Delivery timing for me shows 5-9 weeks for Long Range or Performance, so not sure where March comes from.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe everything built after June is an H

I think it's Oct, but don't quote me on that.

My guy at Tesla told me to not buy anything that was built before Oct of this year....for the new battery and other things. I also heard that they might be adding more range with the H packs.....fingers crossed.

I am hoping they reduce the price and add more range. $79,999 starting is still too high.

I think it's Oct, but don't quote me on that.

My guy at Tesla told me to not buy anything that was built before Oct of this year....for the new battery and other things. I also heard that they might be adding more range with the H packs.....fingers crossed.

I am hoping they reduce the price and add more range. $79,999 starting is still too high.
They just announced the 371 miles recently. That may have already been the range increase announcement.