Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any idea when this massive price drop will take effect for the used car market?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before you answer, I understand that the price drop is technically "in effect" as of Tesla's announcement last Thursday. That's not quite the question I'm asking.

What I'd like to know is the answer to the following scenario:

Buyer goes into a 3rd party dealership and sees a Model X 90D with 30,000 miles manufactured in 2016 that he likes. The price of the Model X is $65,000, a price Buyer knows is based on the typical KBB value from the day before the Tesla price drop. Buyer can pull up the press release from Tesla, but Dealer relies on KBB and "other variables" to price their vehicles. Plus, Dealer got burned along with Tesla owners now that the FMV has been reduced, and Dealer isn't keen on losing money on cars. When can Buyer practically benefit from the Tesla price cut?

I sold my 2016 Model X 90D on 2/28....just in time! I think the price drop will trickle-down to the used market in a few weeks but I still feel like I sold mine just in time. If I sold a day later and the buyer happened to know about the drop, it may have affected the price.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I think as soon as model Y starts production prices will drop drastically. Same as with model S. I think it will take a little while for last weeks pricing announcement to have an effect. People still think their cars are worth x because they paid a certain amount for it. I have been looking for awhile for a used X and some are sitting a long time at current prices.

I think as soon as model Y starts production prices will drop drastically. Same as with model S. I think it will take a little while for last weeks pricing announcement to have an effect. People still think their cars are worth x because they paid a certain amount for it. I have been looking for awhile for a used X and some are sitting a long time at current prices.
at the end of the day we should have seen this coming.

i mean we owners knowing went into a tesla knowing that we were the first "pioneers" of this fantastic product.

it's like when people used to pay $10k for the first wide-screen OLED screen that can be had for less than $1000 now. :)

Reactions: vickh and jboy210
at the end of the day we should have seen this coming.

i mean we owners knowing went into a tesla knowing that we were the first "pioneers" of this fantastic product.

it's like when people used to pay $10k for the first wide-screen OLED screen that can be had for less than $1000 now. :)

Could be worse. One of my relatives paid $10,000 for a 45 inch flat screen in the 1980s. That was a nice car back then.

And I bought an original Mac with 128K of memory for $2,495 in 1984

As long as the indy dealer can move the inventory for the asking price (demand) with some profit, prices won't drop.

If the car sits on their inventory for a long time and they can't sell it retail and have to take run it through the auction...then prices would drop.

Am still not sure what would motivate me to sell our AP2.0 X. Sure more range/V3 SC is great, but 30K in 2 years tells me what I have now for range/charging speed is fine.

Everything else on the car is the same as a new one, especially if Tesla really do offer FSD upgrade for $5k, meaning I can get our car upgraded to AP 3.0 for not much extra.

Swapping our X for a new one would also mean lossing free for life SC and the free Spotify/maps access.

Tesla made these cars too good, the need to swap after 3/4 years is nearly non existent!

Reactions: gavine
agreed^^^^. And I think more people are going to hang on to their cars for a while. I have a late ‘16 with HW2 and it still feels brand new inside. It has EAP and I just purchased FSD. And as gang said, free SC motivates me to keep this X long term.

Reactions: FlyinLow