Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model S holdouts out there?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because I think I'm one of them and I get the sense there are others. I've test driven the MS twice now, love it, want it, and am so close to ordering. However I can't help but think that with the model 3 release coming up soon, they're going to have to (my opinion here) announce something about the model S as well. I'm not saying anything drastic but maybe at least some interior upgrades or changes. I've read where some current new owners are recommending to hold back and take a wait-and-see approach with the MS launch. I'd be interested to see how many of us are sitting on the fence before we consider buying.

I just got an S75D. It shows 222 miles now. There was a $5K price drop in the S75 and S75D and there is still the $7500 tax credit so in my mind I'm $12,500 to the good.

The car is awesome.

I was on the waitlist for the 3. I'd likely have missed the tax credit on that.

Everyone has his own pricing issues. There are range considerations. Then for some here, the interior seems the most important factor.

My interior is just fine. I got the leather. The radio is good. I got the HiFi. I know the free supercharging is a true cost nonissue but it does make me feel good. I don't drive much, mine is a toy. I'm retired, we keep our cars a long time so this is likely my last car. I know that there will be price changes, new batteries, maybe a heads-up display in the future but my car is just awesome. I thought it might be a little sluggish, now being the entry level car, but it really isn't, not at all. I've ridden in the P100D and I've driven a P85D, that acceleration is too much for me, it is beyond thrilling, it's violent. I'm juvenile enough to want a car faster off the line than any other, but I wouldn't like using it, and that extra $70,000 or so is better used elsewhere.

I've had BMWs in the past, a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo to which I added a kit that increased horsepower by another 100. It was great to drive but after putting my foot into it a few times, there wasn't often that much use for that extra power. So the entry level all wheel drive 75D is good for me. I like that it is an uncommon car. I do not like the current fuss about repair costs. I do expect there will eventually be full self driving, I'm not really concerned about when. There will be a lot of 3s out there in a few years. I think the S will always be less common.

No one is going to be able to help you with your decision. You'll have a whole constellation of decisions about what is important to you and those factors will be different from anyone else's. I think it is not helpful to adopt someone else's priorities as your own. I've found my car. That Porsche interior guy is still looking, he may never find his. If mine stays exactly the way it is, that's OK with me. If something exponentially better comes out tomorrow, that's OK with me as well. My 75D is just great now, and it'll remain just as great from now on.

I wish you well. But you asked for advice, so here is mine. If what is available now doesn't suit you exactly, you should wait for something that does. Remember that other people's priorities are uniquely their's and certainly not your own. Remember that in 3-4 years, this car will be worth about 60% of the price now, so if price is a real concern, you can wait 3-4 years and not only will you see what is coming up shortly, you can get one hell of a deal. If you buy now then find something you want more, you'll give someone else a hell of a deal.

Best,
David

There are clear times to wait for. Not a guessing game

JULY 1
OCT 1

Go research any big announcement. Tesla closes factory for one week every start of the quarter for "machine tuning" and employee vacations. AKA this is when they introduce any big changes AP1, exterior refresh, AP2.

As someone who was suppose to get his car Oct 15 and got pushed up to Sept 15 missing AP2 I know this all to well first hand.

There are clear times to wait for. Not a guessing game

JULY 1
OCT 1

Go research any big announcement. Tesla closes factory for one week every start of the quarter for "machine tuning" and employee vacations. AKA this is when they introduce any big changes AP1, exterior refresh, AP2.

As someone who was suppose to get his car Oct 15 and got pushed up to Sept 15 missing AP2 I know this all to well first hand.

Well, there is that. That was pretty cheezy of them to advance your delivery date and leave you with the last few days of the older configuration as a result of that advancement. They'll say you got the car you ordered, and technically they are right, but they knew what they were doing. I try to stay neutral on most of these topics but if it is as you say, then I think less of them for it.

Reactions: gowthamn
Well, there is that. That was pretty cheezy of them to advance your delivery date and leave you with the last few days of the older configuration as a result of that advancement. They'll say you got the car you ordered, and technically they are right, but they knew what they were doing. I try to stay neutral on most of these topics but if it is as you say, then I think less of them for it.

ADD to that... it was during the infamous 3Q push when the stock price was around $168 and 50/50 people were bullish bearish on Tesla. So there was company wide discounts that Elon only happens to find out after they made their numbers and put a stop to it.

If you have not guessed it by now... I paid full price. While others had destination fees waived and others had 6 seat/SAS upgrades for 50% off to get their car earlier. I honestly thought they were doing me a favor by delivering my car early. It was only till I heard all the stories did I understand.

Because I think I'm one of them and I get the sense there are others. I've test driven the MS twice now, love it, want it, and am so close to ordering. However I can't help but think that with the model 3 release coming up soon, they're going to have to (my opinion here) announce something about the model S as well. I'm not saying anything drastic but maybe at least some interior upgrades or changes. I've read where some current new owners are recommending to hold back and take a wait-and-see approach with the MS launch. I'd be interested to see how many of us are sitting on the fence before we consider buying.

I'm right there with you man! I've wanted a Model S for years and finally have the means to afford one. It takes serious daily restraint to not click the order button. I'm holding out until after Model 3 reveal. Figured I've waited this long might as well wait a few more weeks. I could see it going either way. There may be some changes to Model S to make it that much more appealing over the Model 3 or they may be so tied up with the launch of the Model 3 that they haven't dedicated any resources to Model S. At any rate, I'm holding out until August. I also have 2 fairly young children & one on the way and definitely going with the white seats!

I'm right there with you man! I've wanted a Model S for years and finally have the means to afford one. It takes serious daily restraint to not click the order button. I'm holding out until after Model 3 reveal. Figured I've waited this long might as well wait a few more weeks. I could see it going either way. There may be some changes to Model S to make it that much more appealing over the Model 3 or they may be so tied up with the launch of the Model 3 that they haven't dedicated any resources to Model S. At any rate, I'm holding out until August. I also have 2 fairly young children & one on the way and definitely going with the white seats!
Great to hear Bluejuice...you and I are clearly in the same boat. Let's hope this little additional waiting we have left (although seems to be taking forever!) pays off with an upgrade of some kind ;)

Reactions: Bluejuice
I cancelled my 3 reservation last week. While I was getting my winter tires switched for the stock Goodyears I spoke with the sales staff and they said even with an S on the books I wouldn't get even a RWD 3 until early 2018 in Chicago. They were fairly pessimistic about anyone outside of Tesla employees in CA and SpaceX getting a 3 before November 2017.

It likely will be a good deal but an S75D is a good deal as well. I think the 3 with options will be more expensive than people think (some people think AP will be 2500 on a 3 which is a joke). Remember, they still need to sell S and Xs so why give sweet heart deals to 3 owners when their car starts at 35k? Tesla isn't about giving freebies (just talk to Elon) (*unless they start to get desperate which won't happen for a while with 400k pre-orders). If the first 100k balk at paying $3k+ for EAP, then I'm sure Tesla will find 100k more people who don't care).

I cancelled my 3 reservation last week. While I was getting my winter tires switched for the stock Goodyears I spoke with the sales staff and they said even with an S on the books I wouldn't get even a RWD 3 until early 2018 in Chicago. They were fairly pessimistic about anyone outside of Tesla employees in CA and SpaceX getting a 3 before November 2017.

It likely will be a good deal but an S75D is a good deal as well. I think the 3 with options will be more expensive than people think (some people think AP will be 2500 on a 3 which is a joke). Remember, they still need to sell S and Xs so why give sweet heart deals to 3 owners when their car starts at 35k? Tesla isn't about giving freebies (just talk to Elon) (*unless they start to get desperate which won't happen for a while with 400k pre-orders). If the first 100k balk at paying $3k+ for EAP, then I'm sure Tesla will find 100k more people who don't care).

Is only reason to cancel now vs. before you know a date is to have the $1000 back earlier?

I'm honestly asking.

I reserved a M3.. not because I need/want one, but Bc why not?

Fully refundable deposit seems like a joke to me. I don't believe this will happen, but let's say you could resell for a profit. They happen to give tesla owners even more priority than early holders, etc.

So back to my question. Everyone that cancels is just to get $1000 back earlier. Am I missing something and or what's the cut off for refundability?

TIA

Is only reason to cancel now vs. before you know a date is to have the $1000 back earlier?

I'm honestly asking.

I reserved a M3.. not because I need/want one, but Bc why not?

Fully refundable deposit seems like a joke to me. I don't believe this will happen, but let's say you could resell for a profit. They happen to give tesla owners even more priority than early holders, etc.

So back to my question. Everyone that cancels is just to get $1000 back earlier. Am I missing something and or what's the cut off for refundability?

TIA

No cut off on refunds. I don't want the car so I cancelled. No point in keeping the money with Tesla if I don't want the car.

Thank you to all for your replies and entertainment along the way. When I buy it will be a new MS 100 D...and I shouldn't say buy as I'll likely lease. All of you have excellent points. But I think if I've waited this long I'll wait a little longer for the M3 launch and see what happens. In the mean time I'll work on getting an electrician out to my garage to install the wall connector etc.

So now my wife really likes the white interior...we have two girls ages 8 & 3 ... are we crazy?

I'm talking delivery of a MS100D this Wednesday and I also had been leaning towards
Ultra White seats until I saw this video from Bjørn Nyland
The edge wear and blue jean color transfer seemed a bit excessive after only 30k miles.
But I suppose that's the beauty of a lease ... normal wear and tear and frequent
charging to 100% for three years then you get to start with a fresh model.

I pulled the trigger on a MS100D after missing the AP2 window by just a couple of
months on my MX75D. No real regrets except that I should have gotten a 90 rather
than a 75. Right now Tesla is delivering the Model S in 30 days to Texas.
I'm holding on to my M3 reservation (with potential delivery by 11/15/2017) just in case.

I pulled the trigger on a MS100D after missing the AP2 window by just a couple of
months on my MX75D. No real regrets except that I should have gotten a 90 rather
than a 75. Right now Tesla is delivering the Model S in 30 days to Texas.
I'm holding on to my M3 reservation (with potential delivery by 11/15/2017) just in case.
When/where did you get a potential delivery date from?

I don't think you'll see much happen with the S for several months at best. It will still be a better car than the 3, and Tesla is laser-focused on the 3 launch right now with not a lot of bandwidth for playing around with the comparatively low-volume S or X.

^^^ Yeah that.

The X came out 2 years ago, S refresh was last year, Model 3 is this year, and Model Y and Semi are next year or two. They've got their hands full right now with new product... S and X are decently set for the next few years.

As someone who is in the auto interior business, the interior may not be that of a Mercedes or BMW, but it's definitely unique to Tesla. I know materials, and Alcantara and Ultraleather are some of the most expensive materials that can be used. Much better quality than genuine leather.

I can understand anyone holding out right now, there is always the possibility of missing out, so I'd set a hard deadline to myself.

Maybe the Semi-truck reveal, or December this year, whatever you feel comfortable with. If Tesla does some kind of update in that time you are going to purchase instantly, otherwise you are going to buy it at your deadline.

Because you can always wait another month for the next best thing.