Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any More Test Drive Reports From The Tour?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mikevbf

Feb 11, 2012
vermont
I really appreciate the test drive reports which are significantly different than new owners reports since test drivers are not not generally locked into their configuration and bring an open mind to the table. For example, I have just about decided to switch to the 6 seat configuration based on tour reports. I wish I had been invited to the tour event in Boston so I could judge for myself. Anyway, please keep the reports coming in. Thanks

I really appreciate the test drive reports which are significantly different than new owners reports since test drivers are not not generally locked into their configuration and bring an open mind to the table. For example, I have just about decided to switch to the 6 seat configuration based on tour reports. I wish I had been invited to the tour event in Boston so I could judge for myself. Anyway, please keep the reports coming in. Thanks

And Elon thinks six seats is the best configuration. I agree.
attachment.php?attachmentid=112996&d=1456598801.png

I was fortunate enough to test drive today in Dedham, MA. I have driven a Model S once for a test drive so I can't make much comparison to that. What I can say is I'm glad I switched from 7 to 6. The windshield is everything you would expect. What I was surprised about is how effective the tint was on the window. I normally drive with sunglasses but felt no need. The rear view mirror is smaller than I'd prefer.

Ludicrous was amazingly quick and smooth. I spent a portion of the drive just tapping the gas and it was so responsive compared to anything else I've driven. Can't wait for my P90DL vin 00101X.

I was fortunate enough to test drive today in Dedham, MA. I have driven a Model S once for a test drive so I can't make much comparison to that. What I can say is I'm glad I switched from 7 to 6. The windshield is everything you would expect. What I was surprised about is how effective the tint was on the window. I normally drive with sunglasses but felt no need. The rear view mirror is smaller than I'd prefer.

Ludicrous was amazingly quick and smooth. I spent a portion of the drive just tapping the gas and it was so responsive compared to anything else I've driven. Can't wait for my P90DL vin 00101X.

Thanks for the report. Anyone have space for a +1 at the Dedham event. I'll bring you the best gallon of maple syrup from VT :biggrin: The sap is really flowing now.

... I wish I had been invited to the tour event in Boston so I could judge for myself...
@mikevbf: As of 2/28, it looks like Boston is still visible. Here is the Meet Model X Tour Dates link:

Meet Model X | Tesla Motors

Click the RSVP link to see the details. While Tesla mentions "only...reservation holders" for a test drive, if the event is nearby, why not stop by and check out the vehicles on display.

Last edited:
I drove the P90DL yesterday in Scottsdale. The accelerator response was incredible and so was the launch. I need to drive a 90D now to see how big of a difference that is to make sure we won't be disappointed (not worried). I love the fact I can stand underneath the falcon door (I am 6" 1). Also like how far the driver seat goes up (vertical) which really helped me with my long legs to sit comfortably and still reach the steering wheel. Lots of headroom in the front seats and outboard second row. I was able to sit easily in the second row with the driver seat in my driving position. This is impossible for me in most cars, especially the S. Seats felt very good in the short ride although I would have loved slightly longer seat cushions. Not unusual though. Storage room with all seats up is OK. I don't think you will be making any long trips with 6+ people and luggage in there. Short trips and lots of duffel bags will be no problem at all. Staff at the Scottsdale SC was very friendly and willing to answer any question. I really didn't have many after spending years here on TMC... Overall, a great event that I was able to share with my wife and friend who got to drive the X as well (his first Tesla drive)

Also like how far the driver seat goes up (vertical) which really helped me with my long legs to sit comfortably and still reach the steering wheel.

This is also important to me, as I have lower back pain that is worst when my seat is low. Thankfully, I'm fairly short so I can raise the seat in my MS quite a bit. However, on long trips it starts to wear on me. The MX is to be our road tripping car, so I'm excited to see how much more comfortable I'll be with the higher position.

I stopped by the San Diego event last weekend. Since I had already configured, I had no reservation to drive, however they were super welcoming and invited me into the facility where they had a S and X set up side by side.

They allowed me to sit in the X, and politely answered all my questions.

Was blown away by the additional quality in the X. The seats were fantastic looking and very comfortable, while still giving great side support. Thought they were much better looking than in pictures.

The interior felt so much larger, and getting in and out was much easier both in the front and rear seats. Now I understand why Elon wanted the Falcon wing doors so much. They add a bunch to the ergonometrics of the X.

The fitting of the headliner was super well done, and had the aura of a very high end vehicle.

The new wood grain on the dash looked even better than the selections on the S, and the curve around windshield was fantastic, not only for the front seats, but also from those further back. Makes the whole interior feel more spacious.

Over all the impression was very positive, and I am super happy I have one on order.

I test drove model X in Dedham, MA yesterday, and I placed a P90D order yesterday afternoon. I've test driven a Model S twice before, including an autopilot evaluation, so the focus of this visit was how the family would fit in the car. A few observations:

1.) I'm 6 feet tall, and I fit comfortably in the back row. My head clearance to the glass was acceptable. Checking seat positions, 3 rows of me can fit in the car. It would be tight, but we could all fit. I cannot comfortably sit in the middle seat of the middle row. My hair is touching the ceiling and my knees are hitting the center console. Corollary: The headliner would get greasy over time if we did seat a tall adult in that position.
2.) My wife rode in the middle row of a 6 seat configuration (our intended order configuration). She missed having OMG handles she expected to find on the doors during some cornering. This was made worse by the lack of lateral support in the middle row. Contrast to our mini van, which has arm rests in the middle row captains chairs.
3.) I wanted to take a look at the windshield washer fluid dispensing. No dice, no fluid in the reservoir. :(
4.) They were micromanaging the use of the FWDs. The display unit had them locked, and they very carefully handled every FWD open/close themselves during the test drive. This is a warning flag to me.
5.) At the end of the drive, our sales person was showing my wife how to close the front door, at her insistence. My wife tried 4 times to close the door. It didn't budge. It turns out someone standing beside the FWD will prevent the front door from closing, but there was no feedback to that effect. Just a door that wouldn't close. This worries me slightly in "quick, close and lock the door" scenarios. They were also instructing us not to close the front doors mechanically, but to use the electric close. The one time I forgot and just closed the front door manually, it latched without issue.
6.) My 12 year old found that the seat belts rode on her neck in all rear seating positions, and there are no adjustments available. We may have to put my 9 year old back in a booster seat to use this car, which won't make him happy at all.
7.) The static display P90D was a midnight silver metallic, Production VIN # 454. I used that VIN to get a reasonable insurance quote of +$691 per year over my current insurance (with Amica in Massachusetts).
8.) The seats are a big leap forward. I didn't think about them at _all_ during the test drive. The original S seats I didn't find comfortable at all. The current 2nd gen S seats are better, but I still noticed them. The X seats were great.
9.) I checked the static display for perforated leather damage, and didn't find any. It had black leather interior, and looking at it from a durability perspective it looked comparable to other perforated leather seats in cars past, and I've never had a problem with it.
10.) For some reason, the current design studio offers no all-season radials on the P90D. The 90D offers all season radials on the 20" rims, but not the P90D. I've got inside sales looking into it, as I'd prefer not to have to swap tires with the seasons.
11.) I asked when service.teslamotors.com would allow access to the model X service materials. They didn't know. If someone takes delivery in Massachusetts, please press them on this issue. There's legal backing for requiring access to it under the right to repair law. I tried to gain access on a pre-sales basis to answer some questions, but as of a few weeks ago, it was still locked down.
12.) I asked if tow mode would be engaged by a bike rack on the tow receiver if I bought the tow package (e.g. should I buy the accessory receiver instead to maintain autopilot with bikes on the back?). The answer was that a bike rack would not enable tow mode and would not disable autopilot.
13.) The front glass really does make it feel like you're driving a convertible, but I found the tinting adequate for mid-day sun. We'll see if it works for near-the-boundary sun at dawn and dusk, as I drive into the sun on my way both to and from work. In general, I upgraded my description of the X from my new "sports car mini van" to "sports car minivan convertible" on the basis of the front view.
14.) Allegedly the car comes with lane departure warning. We were driving on a well marked interstate. When I tried to pull the sun visor down, my attention strayed and the car drifted onto the lane markers. No departure warning was in evidence when that happened. We confirmed the option was enabled after the fact.

I surprised myself by deciding to upgrade to the P90D (no ludicrous, though) to cut the delay in delivery. I really could get used to P90D acceleration on highway ramps. As a colleague who drives a P90D S says, "it never gets old."

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and

15.) My wife reported she wouldn't be able to use the middle row cupholders from an outboard seating position because her seat belt remained locked the entire ride. The salesperson wrote this off to a car getting heavy abuse during the "Meet Model X" event, and that we shouldn't expect that behavior from our vehicle. In the driver's seat, my seat belt was not locked back.

Just home from my Seattle test drive. An interesting experience. Some concerns, some confusion...

First of all I'm at the 2 year, 31K mile mark on my P85. So between my car and various service loaners there was nothing overly impressive about the driving experience. Just as I expected. Except it was my first experience with autopilot... awesome. But in that short time you can't really get a feel for it. Look forward to getting to know it more.

Upon arrival they had valet parking. Seemed a bit silly considering they parked it literally 15 feet away. I know parking is limited at the SoDo location but valet seemed like overkill. Granted, I went on a Sunday afternoon...I could imagine during prime time it would be much busier in the area.

Checked in and all the cars were out for test drives. They had a Red/Tan, Grey/White, Pearl/White, and the display model inside was Silver/Tan. Was bummed I couldn't see a black interior. We headed over to the Silver/Tan that was inside. Overall feels like an upgrade to my Model S. Love the seats. Love the fit and finish. But our biggest question was the 6vs7 seats and the rear row (more on that in a moment) and this is where we hit our first concern. The second row seats were completely screwy. They'd move a bit then stop. They'd move a lot but then stop halfway. At one point the seat motor made a horrific gear crunching sounding and the seat stopped. Our assigned guide had a lot of excuses. These cars take a lot of abuse (I have 3 kids, we're going to abuse it). The middle seat can cause the outer two seats not to move properly (hmmm). He even said "I'm not quite familiar enough with it yet to know how it's supposed to work." At one point we squeezed into the back row with one seat barely moved forward. And at another point my wife had to cross over and exit the opposite side of the 3rd row because the seat in front of her stopped working properly. Not impressed. What happened next didn't help...

...we head outside and get into our Red/Tan test drive model. We get in, close the doors, and...the dash says that my wife's FaWD was still open (it wasn't) and that the frunk was open. The guy jumped out and started messing with the frunk and had to call someone over to help him get it latched. I had to laugh a bit here...I'm one of the MS owners with the infamous frunk dent. He was having trouble closing the frunk because he didn't want to dent it. Another person came over to help close it...and did it in the exact way the manual tells you NOT to do it. Crazy. While this is all going on, my wife opened and closed her FaWD 4 times. On the 4th time it registered closed. Concern.

The drive, as mentioned earlier, was uneventful. Car handled well in the rain, autopilot was great, and I loved how open it felt. Before I mentioned confusion...and here's why:

We have three kids. I've been firmly in the seven seat camp. I've read all the posts about 6vs7 and I was unswayed. I've got 3 kids! I NEED 7 seats. I need to have room for two friends, or the grandparents. I don't want to have one kid in the third row and lose the cargo space. This experience proved us wrong. We hated the 7 seats. It's almost ridiculous. As much as I love Tesla, the design of the seven seat is all wrong. The third row is a claustrophobic and uncomfortable mess (didn't help that as I mentioned above the seats didn't work reliably). We tried to convince ourselves that it wasn't THAT uncomfortable and that you could "kinda" see the car. But when we use those seats it will be kids. And while our kids won't need as much leg room, they are shorter and it will literally be looking at a shiny black wall the entire trip. The six seater was great. Open feeling. Great access.

It really bums me out to get a new SUV and lose a seat, but I'd never feel comfortable asking one of my kids or passengers to ride back there. This test drive has really driven a mind-set shift for us.

My mindset shift is not that I'm buying a fully functional family SUV/CUV. I'm buying a propped up sedan with one extra seat. Not only can our family not go dual-Tesla, but we must keep a more traditional sized SUV for all of our typical family excursions with our 5 bikes, 5 pairs of skis, camping gear, etc. I knew this coming in (see my posts in the ski rack thread) but I was at least hoping to go seven seat. Today knocked me firmly into the six seat camp which knocked us down a notch on versatility. But hey, at least if I go skiing by myself I can now lay a pair of skis between the seats in my six seater!

Hot topic on the boards: I saw 3 of the four interiors...no leather or pleather damage.

Last side note of the event. I was getting pushed HARD to configure at the end. I found it odd. At first it was "let's go through your configuration to make sure you don't have any questions." I politely declined as I know the configurator like the back of my hand and didn't want to take the time to do it there. Then he said "they really like it if you configure and save so they can get an idea of the production needs coming in the future." Bull. My saved 90D today is not going to change their manufacturing ramp. I think they've got other concerns! I later told him I may even wait a few months before ordering and he again tried to get me to configure. I found that odd. Have never had sales pressure from Tesla before.

Bottom line:
- Given the collapsing resale market for my non-autopilot P85, I am planning on taking advantage of my resale value guarantee coming up next year.
- Given the choice between a new MS and a MX, I'm going to go X. I liked the riding position, openness, etc.
- I do have some serious concerns about the number of issues we encountered in 20 minutes. Seats that didn't work. Doors that wouldn't registered closed. In my opinion saying these cars "are abused at these events" is not an excuse for the issues I saw. If the headliner was ripped that's one thing. But for a FaWD to not registered close and for a second row seat not to move...that's normal wear and tear. I'm going to monitor the issues on these boards before ordering.
- 2 hours ago I was 95% 7-seater but now I'm 95% 6-seater
- On the drive home my wife and I started talking about what we are going to replace our 2008 Sequoia with because we both realized the Model X doesn't have NEARLY the "utility" we were hoping for our family of five. That's a bummer.

Bottom line:
- Given the collapsing resale market for my non-autopilot P85, I am planning on taking advantage of my resale value guarantee coming up next year.
- Given the choice between a new MS and a MX, I'm going to go X. I liked the riding position, openness, etc.
- I do have some serious concerns about the number of issues we encountered in 20 minutes. Seats that didn't work. Doors that wouldn't registered closed. In my opinion saying these cars "are abused at these events" is not an excuse for the issues I saw. If the headliner was ripped that's one thing. But for a FaWD to not registered close and for a second row seat not to move...that's normal wear and tear. I'm going to monitor the issues on these boards before ordering.
- 2 hours ago I was 95% 7-seater but now I'm 95% 6-seater
- On the drive home my wife and I started talking about what we are going to replace our 2008 Sequoia with because we both realized the Model X doesn't have NEARLY the "utility" we were hoping for our family of five. That's a bummer.
Good summary. What do you think it would take to make the Model X a Sequoia killer (except realistic towing ability)?

Is it the second row of seats that is giving you a headache? I am in the folding seat camp but I also suspect the headrests being so tall (yes they are probably safer) it makes the car claustrophobic.

How did you find the legroom for each row compare to the Sequoia? In my Acura MDX the third row is for tiny people only so about the same as the Model X. Mid seat is more flexible and comfortable on the X but not being able to fold it or have someone really sit in the center of the second row is an issue.

But hey, at least if I go skiing by myself I can now lay a pair of skis between the seats in my six seater!

Yes

MaddKid: We, too, got some pressure to configure. However, Saturday morning the Tesla motors website wasn't accepting logins. Not from me on their terminals, not from me on my phone, not from other customers on the other terminals, and not even from the staff. At this point they proposed that we write down the configuration on paper and they'd submit it later. Seemed kind of silly for something we could drive home and do ourselves. So my wife directly asked the sales person if there were financial incentives for the sales staff to get us to purchase before leaving the building. Our sales person acknowledged that incentives of that sort were in play for them.

Good summary. What do you think it would take to make the Model X a Sequoia killer (except realistic towing ability)?

Is it the second row of seats that is giving you a headache? I am in the folding seat camp but I also suspect the headrests being so tall (yes they are probably safer) it makes the car claustrophobic.

How did you find the legroom for each row compare to the Sequoia? In my Acura MDX the third row is for tiny people only so about the same as the Model X. Mid seat is more flexible and comfortable on the X but not being able to fold it or have someone really sit in the center of the second row is an issue.

I don't want to try and compare the MX to a Sequoia. Different classes. The space found in a Sequoia can't be replicated in a mid-sized SUV. But recently we've been cross shopping XC90s, Pilots, MDXs, etc. That is a fair comp.

The second row is not the problem. It felt good and in some ways outclasses many of the other mid-sized SUVs we've recently seen. No complaints there.

It's really the third row. We've been in a lot of third rows recently and while yes, some of them are small, none feel as enclosed as the X. I could barely see the top of the 17" screen from the 3rd row and my knees were touching the second row. I didn't have my kids with us, but I'm pretty sure if my five year old was in the third row of a 7-seat model I literally would just see the top of head. It bothered me and REALLY bothered my wife. She said "I'd never put our kids back here." As opposed to the various SUV test drives we've done recently where the kids are A-OK in the back. We can see them, they can see us. In reality the X seats are not tiny. The seats themselves are comfortable. My wife and I sat back there together comfortably. But then when the full 2nd row came back it was a whole different ball game. 6 seat was great.

If they updated to the latest firmware 2 days ago (v7.1 (2.12.126) I found that my driver's side 2nd row seat all of a sudden had a jerking barely moving movement the next day. But after moving it back and forth several times yesterday and rebooting the tablet and still experiencing the problem, the problem has disappeared today. Now both seats work just touching the buttons. Previous to this update you had to hold the forward/backward buttons to move them. Now like I said just touching them causes the seat to move completely forward or backward. It may have had nothing to do with all the people or it may have, but I thought I'd mention this since this latest firmware update directly affected the second row seat movement (also Summon but I have yet to try that).

Thanks for the great detail to earlier posters!

My wife and I went to the Meet Model X event in Seattle Friday night - supposedly everyone that night had already confirmed, like us. No test drives, but all the vehicles MiddKid mentioned were available for show (there was also a Signature Red far behind a sliding wall but I didn't go snoop around to check the VIN and later I noticed they fully closed off the wall.

We love so much about the X but can't shake the feeling that we should have ordered 6-seaters. The middle seat space seems very important for 3rd-row passengers so they aren't closed off from the rest of the vehicle. At this point, I highly recommend any X purchasers to go for 6 seats only. Our kids do occasionally spill things in their chairs, but I'd rather have the ventilated seats and just put covers over their seat bottoms until they're old enough to minimize spillage.

Other notes of interest - I am 6' 2" and was able to stand up under the FWD, at least under the glass portion. I had to duck slightly to step out so as not to bump the headliner. Pretty cool. They had lots of minor fit and finish issues, with some seals separated on the top side of one FWD, the DC power outlet in the back was falling out (not broken, just not glued in or something), and we saw one very young boy slid his foot across the tan leather of the red one and put a 2" scratch as he jumped out. No shoes on the seats, kids!

For kicks, I am going to call tomorrow to check the possibility of changing one of our configs to 6-seater, but since we confirmed 1/04 I'm guessing we would have to cancel & forfeit our $5k. I'm guessing if it really bothers me I could spend less than $5k and find a shop that can remove the middle seat later. Maybe it would make a good Forza racing seat :)