Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any non invasive way to get data from the car? New to M3P, maker, but dont want to void the warranty this early.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greets all,
A few months ago I picked up a decent shape CPO 2020 M3P after dumping my F82-M4 when the pandemic first rolled in, and so far I've been pretty satisfied with the performance of the car, but being a maker and a data hoarder, I would love to access additional data from the car.

So far, I've gathered that the OBD-II port existed in some Teslas, but with that, there was virtually no usable data.

Next, I've seen many solutions out there using the CAN bus.

I took a drive to the local Tesla service facility and had a candid discussion with one of the service reps.

From what the rep said, tapping into the CAN bus is a surefire way of getting the warranty voided (as were suspension mods), or track-damaged cars.

One statement he said almost made it sound like interception of CAN bus data is logged in the vehicle (which wouldn't be out of realm of possibility, based on some experiences I've had with BMW). Has anyone else heard this?

Also, the service rep said there is a Bluetooth solution (for example) that can provide some of the data that folks dig out of CAN bus (speed, etc), but he couldn't find a link to what he mentioned in my brief time there. I've never heard of such a solution, and frankly can't imagine any bluetooth stack on the car allowing any cross pollution with CAN bus for a million reasons. I'm guessing he may have had a GPS-enabled solution in mind (and inadvertently said Bluetooth).

I asked him for clarification and I mentioned if he was thinking of a CAN-to-OBD-II-to-Bluetooth adapter, but he reiterated that he had seen a Bluetooth-only solution.

Has anyone here heard of a way to get any useful data out of the Tesla with Bluetooth? I think the phone-key approach uses Bluetooth LE, but again... I don't think there is an abundance of data coming back from the vehicle via BLE.

Some other options I'm rolling around in my head are:
-Roll the dice and just tap into CAN bus with assumption that if something happens, I can uninstall the CAN bus adapter just before bringing the car back in...

-Utilize the new Remain-Connected-to-Wifi feature of the software to force a connection to a hotspot on my phone and try to intercept telemetry data from the car as it goes through, but I'm guessing after TBONE they've probably locked things down

-Maybe try to do an RF read of CAN-high/low?

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

The few times I was in for service with coil overs, upper control arms, lower control arm bushings, rear camber and toe arms, the service manager was very into it. Even asked for a referral of where I had it installed. Voiding warranty? I don’t know if this varies across the country but hasn’t been my experience.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dolemite and focher
Scan My Tesla - look into it. Real easy and lots of data.
there is a window of opportunity though- do you happen to on software version 2021.24.4? If so, go rob the software screen, hold down on your model name near top of screen. When the dialogue box comes up, type in ‘Dynotest’. All the data you possibly want will be there.
this is a bug that is corrected on later versions

Greets all,
A few months ago I picked up a decent shape CPO 2020 M3P after dumping my F82-M4 when the pandemic first rolled in, and so far I've been pretty satisfied with the performance of the car, but being a maker and a data hoarder, I would love to access additional data from the car.

So far, I've gathered that the OBD-II port existed in some Teslas, but with that, there was virtually no usable data.

I took a drive to the local Tesla service facility and had a candid discussion with one of the service reps.

From what the rep said, tapping into the CAN bus is a surefire way of getting the warranty voided (as were suspension mods), or track-damaged cars.

One statement he said almost made it sound like interception of CAN bus data is logged in the vehicle (which wouldn't be out of realm of possibility, based on some experiences I've had with BMW). Has anyone else heard this?

Also, the service rep said there is a Bluetooth solution (for example) that can provide some of the data that folks dig out of CAN bus (speed, etc), but he couldn't find a link to what he mentioned in my brief time there. I've never heard of such a solution, and frankly can't imagine any bluetooth stack on the car allowing any cross pollution with CAN bus for a million reasons. I'm guessing he may have had a GPS-enabled solution in mind (and inadvertently said Bluetooth).

I asked him for clarification and I mentioned if he was thinking of a CAN-to-OBD-II-to-Bluetooth adapter, but he reiterated that he had seen a Bluetooth-only solution.

Has anyone here heard of a way to get any useful data out of the Tesla with Bluetooth? I think the phone-key approach uses Bluetooth LE, but again... I don't think there is an abundance of data coming back from the vehicle via BLE.

-Roll the dice and just tap into CAN bus with assumption that if something happens, I can uninstall the CAN bus adapter just before bringing the car back in...

-Utilize the new Remain-Connected-to-Wifi feature of the software to force a connection to a hotspot on my phone and try to intercept telemetry data from the car as it goes through, but I'm guessing after TBONE they've probably locked things down

As several other people have mentioned your service rep has no clue what he's talking about. Simply tapping into a data stream by definition can't be considered a modification. Rewriting the operating system on the other hand is a different story - such as the ghost boost on dual motor cars. But the idea that suspension parts void warranty is also similarly mythical. Someone has to prove that the suspension part led to a suspension failure. It is troubling when Tesla techs talk complete nonsense. I've had that experience about not just their car service but their energy and solar system service. I've also had exceptionally competent and well trained technicians in both instances. I guess the problem is the unevenness. It suggests that Tesla is so desperate to get technicians up and running that they may not really be training all of them adequately.

Last edited:
Greets all,

ScanMyTesla