Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any non-Model S/X owners invited to configure yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

like many, I did not have the joy of owning a model S or X. I can't wait to be a part of the tesla family when my model 3 arrives. I was 5th in line and live in the bay area. Wondering if anyone that doesn't own a Model S has been invited to configure or has had a model 3 delivered to them?

Thanks,

Hello,

like many, I did not have the joy of owning a model S. I can't wait to be a part of the tesla family when my model 3 arrives. I was 5th in line and live in the bay area. Wondering if anyone that doesn't own a Model S has been invited to configure or has had a model 3 delivered to them?

Thanks,
There have been a number of non-owners who have been invited to configure and/or have taken delivery. They fall into the following categories:
  • employees
  • family member of employees
  • family members of owners (who put their name on the reservation)
  • non-owners who have paid a 'fee' to owners to put their name on the reservation
It may give you some comfort to know that you are ahead of me in priority configuration since you were a day one line-stander and I was a day one on-line reservationist. I am stoic about my delivery - it will happen when it happens. In the meantime it allows Tesla to update software, work out any irritating bugs, add options (SR, interior color, AWD, etc.) and figure out what they are going to do about 'headliner'! I have seen and played with the car enough to know it is my dream car, warts and all. The FUTURE is at hand.

There have been a number of non-owners who have been invited to configure and/or have taken delivery. They fall into the following categories:
  • employees
  • family member of employees
  • family members of owners (who put their name on the reservation)
  • non-owners who have paid a 'fee' to owners to put their name on the reservation
It may give you some comfort to know that you are ahead of me in priority configuration since you were a day one line-stander and I was a day one on-line reservationist. I am stoic about my delivery - it will happen when it happens. In the meantime it allows Tesla to update software, work out any irritating bugs, add options (SR, interior color, AWD, etc.) and figure out what they are going to do about 'headliner'! I have seen and played with the car enough to know it is my dream car, warts and all. The FUTURE is at hand.

That’s an accurate statement.
For those looking for a 3 ASAP, there’s a few on eBay...

That’s an accurate statement.
For those looking for a 3 ASAP, there’s a few on eBay...
Picked one up yesterday for ~$1,000. Was worth it to me to guarantee the tax credit. I was (still am) a non-owner, 4/1 online reservation and although my estimator says Feb-Apr I didn't have much confidence that would actually happen. I thought realistically Q3 or Q4 and I thought there was a good chance the credit phase-out would have started by then.

The original reservation holder and I went through and configured/ordered today. Looking forward to (hopefully) getting it in the stated 4 weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Picked one up yesterday for ~$1,000. Was worth it to me to guarantee the tax credit. I was (still am) a non-owner, 4/1 online reservation and although my estimator says Feb-Apr I didn't have much confidence that would actually happen. I thought realistically Q3 or Q4, and I thought there was a good chance the credit phase-out would have started by then.

The original reservation holder and I went through and configured/ordered today. Looking forward to (hopefully) getting it in the stated four weeks.
So you bought a reservation from someone who is ready to order? Are they buying it then immediately selling it to you? Do you know, will you have to pay tax two times? Once for when you register it or because they sell it immediately they never register or pay taxes? Seems a little risky but I would still consider this.

So you bought a reservation from someone who is ready to order? Are they buying it then immediately selling it to you? Do you know, will you have to pay tax two times? Once for when you register it or because they sell it immediately they never register or pay taxes? Seems a little risky but I would still consider this.
Actually this seems like a really bad idea, I doubt you would even be eligible to tax credits. Best to be patient.

Actually this seems like a really bad idea, I doubt you would even be eligible to tax credits. Best to be patient.
Not exactly. I am/will be the first and only owner. The car will be registered/titled in my name and delivered to my local SC. He is in another state. Once I take delivery they will move the car to my Tesla account. This was verified by two separate OAs at Tesla and supported by the configuration process we went through today. My name and address. My drivers license. My local SC.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Not exactly. I am/will be the first and only owner. The car will be registered/titled in my name and delivered to my local SC. He is in another state. Once I take delivery they will move the car to my Tesla account. This was verified by two separate OAs at Tesla and supported by the configuration process we went through today. My name and address. My drivers license. My local SC.
That’s cool, so Tesla allows the transfer of reservation?

As a matter of company-wide policy? I don't know. In an isolated case? Probably. Not only do we appear to have done this, but I first heard about it from at least two other pairs of folks on Reddit who successfully did it. Bear in mind, it's not a transfer of reservation. The reservation was and still is in his name. We had to log in to his account to do this. The key is that you appear to be able to enter anyone's information once you get there, so long as you have pics of drivers license, insurance, etc.

So do you still have your M3 reservation? Are you willing to do the same thing for someone else?

There is no “transfer” of the reservation.

The original reservation holder configures the car. The original reservation holder registers and titles the car in the future owner’s name. The future owner pays Tesla. The future owner is the first and only owner of the car so he/she still get the tax credit. There is some level of trust since the future owner pays the non-refundable $2500 configuration fee or whatever. Although I guess that can be negotiated.

It’s been done already (well, at least I read about it being done here)

• Informative
Reactions: T34ME and smythey
There is no “transfer” of the reservation.

The original reservation holder configures the car. The original reservation holder registers and titles the car in the future owner’s name. The future owner pays Tesla. The future owner is the first and only owner of the car so he/she still get the tax credit. There is some level of trust since the future owner pays the non-refundable $2500 configuration fee or whatever. Although I guess that can be negotiated.

It’s been done already (well, at least I read about it being done here)
I believe that to be correct. My understanding is that the original reservationist can add an unrelated person to the pink slip/registration and then remove themselves after the fact. If the original reservationist is an owner who says the second person is a transfer to a 'family member' is problematic. The whole scenario puts the tax credit in jeopardy as fraud and you would also be obligated to pay sales tax in the home State. The risk is high just to get a car 30/60 days sooner. Not my cup of "T".

I believe that to be correct. My understanding is that the original reservationist can add an unrelated person to the pink slip/registration and then remove themselves after the fact. If the original reservationist is an owner who says the second person is a transfer to a 'family member' is problematic. The whole scenario puts the tax credit in jeopardy as fraud and you would also be obligated to pay sales tax in the home State. The risk is high just to get a car 30/60 days sooner. Not my cup of "T".

Tax fraud? I don't understand, why would there be any federal tax credit implications (much less fraud) at all? Surely the federal government does not care about Tesla reservations holders, all they care is that you legally were the first registered purchaser of the vehicle directly from Tesla and can prove it with a bill of sale.

Now Tesla might not appreciate that and might possibly refuse to sell the car but that is something entirely different. If the sale happens the person that the car is registered to should pay sales tax in their home state regardless of where the car is delivered. The first registered vehicle owner is the only person that can legally claim the federal tax credit. There must be something else I'm missing here?

By the way, some of us are so late in the reservation list that we will most certainly not receive any federal tax credit when we get our car. It is worth real dollars to not only get the car sooner but to be able to save a decent amount of money by using the federal tax credit.

Reactions: mrtian97
By the way, some of us are so late in the reservation list that we will most certainly not receive any federal tax credit when we get our car. It is worth real dollars to not only get the car sooner but to be able to save a decent amount of money by using the federal tax credit.
Yes, I see what you are saying, you feel that your needs are more important than the other guy who you bump out of a potential tax credit because you cut in front of the line. It's somebody else who is responsible because you were late in reserving. It's a dog eat dog world out there, MAGA.

Although that may have happened in other instances, this is not the case in mine. I will be the original and only owner according to two OAs at Tesla. I will legally claim the tax credit. It will be my car. There will be no removal of the reservation holder from the registration because he won't be on it in the first place.