Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any reason a wheel lift tow truck can't tow a RWD Model S with the front wheels on the ground?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have such a tow truck but the Tesla owners manual says not to do it like that, but doesn't say why. Says to either use dolly's under the wheels on the ground, which I don't have, or use a flatbed truck. Is this something Tesla says for liability reasons? Seen tow trucks towing them like that before,

5c5lf14yypx81.jpg

If you're towing your own Tesla, do whatever you're comfortable with. If it's not your car, do what the manual says. As a Tesla owner, I wouldn't let anyone tow my cars with wheels on the ground, and you would be liable if you did that and there was damage.

I'm just asking if there is some technical reason against it like it will trigger the abs system and fry the pump or something. I've towed many cars like that with no issues, just not my Tesla, yet.
I think it may be a concern that the wheels won't stay pointed straight. I don't know what the control logic is for locking the steering wheel, I just know that I've never encountered a situation where the steering wheel was locked in place like you would normally have on most cars with the key removed.

If it's RWD I don't see what's so bad about towing it like that. It has a standard double wishbone in the front.
Yeah I have a Model 3 SR+ (RWD) and when doing my tire rotation, I noticed the fronts were just free wheeling, so I don't really see a technical problem in terms of damaging something.

I bet it's because they just want to use standard instructions for all Teslas and don't want to differentiate between rwd or awd.
Because some people debadge their cars and sometimes cars come from the factory missing badges, it's probably not worth the risk to depend on tow truck drivers properly identifying if the car is RWD.

The point brought up about not having a physical steering lock does make some sense. When car is powered off, the wheel does feel "locked," but I have never tried forcing it (it could just have been the power steering is off, but wheel is not actually locked).