Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Recommendations for Hitch Tow Cargo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A friend uses this, made of aluminum so fairly light. It's also only 48 inched wide so it tucks in nicely.
One issue is that it cannot be folded vertically when not use and empty.

Reactions: EdSt
Planning on a trip for summer - I am Looking to add more gear with a rear hitch cargo carrier. What do people recommend in 2023?

I retreived an older posting with some tow hitch cargos:

Note: Wathing the video listed in the above link, I noticed (time 4:00) that the rear camera view
was blocked by the boxes stacked on top of the cargo carrier.

Here is a camera that I use when carrying bicycles, and I put it on top of my rear window.

Full HD 1600P Mini Dashcam with Night Vision,​
170° Wide Angle,WDR, Loop Recording, G-Sensor, Parking Monitor​

Note: This is normaly a front dashcam, so the image will be reverse when facing the rear.
But this is not too much a problem as the image quality is excellent compared to several rear view camera that I tested,

Reactions: skadoo323
We also use the cheap-o Harbor Freight 500lb Aluminum Cargo Carrier. Works great and surprisingly very light. You can still squeeze between the carrier and bumper to get into the rear of the vehicle. It does not interfere with the hatchback door at all. We put a small cooler and two paddle board bags, backup camera was fully functional except for immediately below. However it did need some reaming to remove rougher edges. 10 minutes with a pencil reamer before assembly, easy job.

The most surprising part was no hit to range! I gained estimated mileage as we went.

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpeg
    IMG_0478.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0477.jpeg
    IMG_0477.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Reactions: Watts_Up
Please remember this, members!

How can I install and use an accessory carrier?
We offer a Model Y Hitch Rack for bikes and a Model Y Ski/Snowboard Carrier for Hitch Rack. The hitch rack attaches directly to the 2 inch hitch receiver.
The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads up to 160 pounds. When carrying bicycles, skis or other items on the Model Y Hitch Rack, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded.

1688670470840.png

Reactions: EdSt
I haven't used it yet (leaving next week) but I bought a used aluminum rack like the HF but folding. I was told by the seller it came from Tractor Supply. I wanted folding since some SC have a barrier preventing backing up enough to connect. I'll be using a 70gal HDX container from Home Depot. Had to put a license plate mount on it to avoid getting stopped.

What kind of license plate mounyt are you using?
Are you swapping your rear car license plate to the carrier, back and forth?
Just using square nylon inserts from Autozone in holes I drilled in center of upper aluminum rail. Yes swapping plate from car. The giant 70gal container totally blocks the plate area on car but I can open/close hatch since the tilt mount extends everything farther than the HF fixed mount.