Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any surprise from doors opened upon returning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened second time with my MX. So I decided to share with you guys.
For my MS, I have to close it manually, so this was never an issue.

I was so shocked that my MX one FWD was opened unintently upon returning. I am thinking the key in my jeans got accidentally pushed. I seriously do not remember the door was opened because the door sound is loud enough to hear from even some distance. After two hours of shopping, I am so lucky that nothing got stolen or vandalized. Although I don't know if anyone got into my car...

This is like second time that happened to me so far and it seems like I have to check my car often when I lock and also check from the iPhone app.

Has it happened to anyone that keyfob lock was failed and surprised that doors were not close upon returning? Or maybe some stuffs got stolen or vandalized?

It has happened to me three times in about six months. I think it’s because I may not have properly closed the door. The driver door closes when “nudging” it in the right direction, while the passenger door needs to be soft closed completely by hand and will then fully close. I think this semi-automatic way of closing has caused me on occasion to not properly close one or both of the doors, especially when I am on a conference call, grabbing my jacket and coffee all at the same time.

I now pay special attention. Don’t think it’s fob related in my case.

Reactions: balerion
Well, we had this happen once to us... Came back from dinner at a restaurant to find the driver's door ajar. Went into panic mode but nothing was missing in the car. I was driving and don't recall not closing the door. Fortunately the restaurant was located in a somewhat secluded area. Could have ended up worse as we also discovered my wife had left her key in the console! :eek: To this day, we still haven't figured out how the door was left open but can't rule out operator error. It hasn't happened again .

I had this happen three times (I keep the key in my front pocket), then found the perfect solution....

Since I keep my key in a silicon sleeve all the time, I removed the two FWD buttons entirely from the remote. The small sliver shaped pieces popped right off ( leaving the actual button still there underneath) and with the silicon cover back on, you don't notice it at all, and I have not had an issue since.

They will go back on, if I need to sell it etc...

Of course it means we open the FWD manually, although If I actually press in with a fingernail on the remote I can activate the buttons, but I have never had a need.

Several instances of it coming open with my intending that it open. However, in each case, it was when I had the key fob in my pocket and was wearing jeans. The act of standing or sitting seems to be enough pressure on the FWD button on the key fob to activate it. I've never had it open/close unintentionally under any other circumstances. I put that down under owner error, after I figured out what was causing it.

I ordered this FOB cover that I really like. Have since found this cheaper one that comes in an additional cover. This is the best cover I've found so far and it has the added advantage of providing a lip around the buttons to help prevent accidental presses.

I've only had it for 2 weeks and so far I haven't had any accidental presses. But I generally only have an accidental press once every few months, so it's still too early to tell.

But was the key fob in your pocket? It takes very little pressure in your pocket to activate the doors.
yes it was, however, i was nearly 100 yards away and multiple concrete walls between.

it happneed a few days ago. an employee called me, said i left my passenger door open. i asked him to close it, he did. and left. when i came back the passenger fwd was open. he made sure all doors were closed when he walked away.

My message to Tesla, is why do we not have a notification when

1) Doors are open _while_ the KeyFOB is not in range
2) Mobile option to close doors, while locking the X. -- I can see issues w/ that idea & it's not perfect, but it is more than what we have now ~ Caveat emptor.

Either or both are an improvement that Tesla can easily do w/ a connected car.

I agree there should be a notification if a door is left open with the keyfob away from the vehicle. One suggestion is to check your app for open doors occasionally during the day. It will show the doors are open. I agree that is a bit unrealistic. A notification would be ideal.

I agree there should be a notification if a door is left open with the keyfob away from the vehicle. One suggestion is to check your app for open doors occasionally during the day. It will show the doors are open. I agree that is a bit unrealistic. A notification would be ideal.

Not spending $100K on a car to have to check it randomly to see if it is closed.

Why not a setting that closes all doors as you walk away with fob.

Reactions: Maximilien
Happened to me a handful of times over a course of 2 yrs. I'm very careful to lock the doors with my key fob after exiting, but came back to the car feeling a sense of WTH. Fortunately, everytime its happened nobody went to my car to get anything out of it. There are times I have my laptop in the backseat or trunk. :(