Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any truly quiet drive units?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a sound issue on 2017 60d whirring noise from rear du. Tech drove along and even recorded it. went into service a week later after he submitted it to HQ i guess. So when he drove with us in it and heard it and recordd he said he hears it and its not normal. When picked up car after service they said its normal sound. Still hear it but hey what can you do????They say its normal.

Mine whine between 75-85 mph for over a year now. I complain about it to the SC on 3 visits, they checked it and said DU not leaking and looks okay and to not worry because it's still under warranty. I know it's under warranty, I just don't want it to break down on me when I go a long trip. Oh and the last visit the mechanic heard the sound cause I rode with him and he said he heard it, but when we returned to SC he changed his story to the service advisor and said he didn't hear anything, bunch of b.s.

Be nice if someone could summarize the DU noise status, given how many threads there are on this.
I vaguely recall reading where listed the technical root cause/solution, wrong grease or bearings?
Summarizing
-old ones bad
-new ones generally good since yyyy/mm
-refurb ones good
-you will hear a whine from the front for D models.

Perhaps we need an app that records the sound at various speeds and determines if its normal/bad.

As for the case above where "dont worry its covered by warranty"; wouldn't it be better to get it replaced now so it is not an issue when out of warranty?

The real question is, how is the model-3?

Well at the very least I can say based on my experience that the highway droning sound (different than milling sound) was NOT fixed in newer DUs and is noticeable in my July 2017 build-date car with newest DU. Just drove 300 mile road trip and can say for sure I hear it clearly, and louder than my 2013 I traded in. Oh well. I can live with it but I was hoping when I traded in for a new car I’d get a truly quiet DU. Maybe I’ll dynamat rear of car? I’ll be the first to admit others wouldn’t notice noise or don’t care but it does bother me.

Tires are the source of strange noises at various speeds, in my experience and they affect all vehicles. Swap front to back and test again. Look for feathered edges on the tread blocks. Test again after a new set of tires. When I have chased these noises down in other cars it has always been a tire issue. Expect once, when the rear end failed in an Ford and trust me the noise is very much worse.

Just went out for a long drive and decided to play around with the Range Mode setting. As reported earlier, I felt like I could hear my front motor more when accelerating around the 50 - 55mph range vs. other ranges. Well, surprisingly, after enabling Range Mode I can no longer hear the front motor whine during that range! I'm guessing this is due to Range Mode forcing the torque to be more evenly distributed between the front and rear motors? I'm going to leave it in Range Mode permanently since, at least to my ears, I never really hear the front motor "whine" now and only hear the normal faint sound from strong regen. The effect on the reduced climate control power doesn't seem too noticeable either when in Range Mode. Thoughts? Does it make sense that Range Mode would cause the front motor sounds to be more reduced / less noticeable?