Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any update to go from P85D to P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now it's July 5th. We are all still waiting. Tesla has been silent, but I'm guessing his comment (see below) is a potential reason why the retrofit has not started)

“The major factor affecting Tesla’s Q2 deliveries was a severe production shortfall of 100 kWh battery packs, which are made using new technologies on new production lines. The technology challenge grows exponentially with energy density. Until early June, production averaged about 40% below demand. Once this was resolved, June orders and deliveries were strong, ranking as one of the best in Tesla history.”

I get Tesla not wanting to upgrade batteries and rather you trade in, given they have way more demand for batteries than they can produce. But if they do start offering battery swaps, I think it could be quite interesting to see if these old 85kwh and 90kwh battery packs are made available to put into the older S 40 and S 60 cars.

I've got an S 60, and would love to upgrade to 85 or 90. I wouldn't mind a second hand pack if the price/condition was right. Of course 100kwh would be better, but hey, maybe a 2nd hand 85kwh battery wont be that expensive?

I've heard of used 60kwh packs being available for just $6,000 or so. Suggesting an old 85kwh pack may be available for $8,500. Of course you have to pay for installation. But this isn't just an upgrade price. You technically can keep your old pack and turn it into some sort of home power storage.

Any reason Tesla won't simply offer older packs to cars with even less capacity?