Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to change the phone ringtone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A neighbor shared this with me this morningā€¦.incoming calls create a loud, alarming alert sound that startles him every time. But on my M3LR (same car, same year) an incoming call creates a soft ā€œtoneā€ twice, and then stops (even before I tap to answer). The PHONE will continue ringing, but the car/audio/bluetooth system only creates that tone and then stops. I dug into every control menu, on the car, on the phone, in the bluetooth settings, audio, you name it. Even asked my wife to call me so I could try adjusting the volume of the ringer WHILE IT WAS RINGING with the left scroll wheel. Nothing. Iā€™m running the latest update. Curious that some cars apparently have a different, but irrevocable, ring tone?

A neighbor shared this with me this morningā€¦.incoming calls create a loud, alarming alert sound that startles him every time. But on my M3LR (same car, same year) an incoming call creates a soft ā€œtoneā€ twice, and then stops (even before I tap to answer). The PHONE will continue ringing, but the car/audio/bluetooth system only creates that tone and then stops. I dug into every control menu, on the car, on the phone, in the bluetooth settings, audio, you name it. Even asked my wife to call me so I could try adjusting the volume of the ringer WHILE IT WAS RINGING with the left scroll wheel. Nothing. Iā€™m running the latest update. Curious that some cars apparently have a different, but irrevocable, ring tone?

Are you running Android but your neighbor has an iPhone?

If there was, somebody would have made a 30 minute video on YouTube already.
Followed by Teslarat's seven articles quoting the same 30 min video.
Can we have some way to reduce the system volume in general? Eg proximity sensor, phone ring, autopilot alerts. All these noises are loud especially when driving at slow speeds.
What happen to Joe mode?

Both running iPhone. But I think I found it: it happens while heā€™s playing audio through phone via Bluetooth. My suggestion was that his PHONE volume is low, and so therefore in order to hear the music the CAR volume (speaker volume) is up high. So when he gets a call and the phone sends the alert to the carā€™s speakers itā€™s very loud. I drove my car down to his house and after a few ā€œcall me nowā€ adjustments we may have found it.
Phone volume setting should be about 75%; then car speaker volume can be appropriately adjusted to match other sources like streaming or radio.
Are you running Android but your neighbor has an iPhone?

Both running iPhone. But I think I found it: it happens while heā€™s playing audio through phone via Bluetooth. My suggestion was that his PHONE volume is low, and so therefore in order to hear the music the CAR volume (speaker volume) is up high. So when he gets a call and the phone sends the alert to the carā€™s speakers itā€™s very loud. I drove my car down to his house and after a few ā€œcall me nowā€ adjustments we may have found it.
Phone volume setting should be about 75%; then car speaker volume can be appropriately adjusted to match other sources like streaming or radio.
Last thought on this: iPhones separate ringer volume from audio volume. So if itā€™s not what I relayed here, itā€™s that he has to adjust ringer volume vs audio volume.

My M3 reads texts to me. Got this in a recent update. Love it!
I believe that feature has been there for quite a while. I can't recall not having it and I've had 51 updates since I bought mine.

Here's a list of all updates: Tesla Software Update Release Notes - Latest Tesla Updates

Looks like 40.50 released it in December 19

You can now read and respond to text messages using your right scroll wheel button. When a new message is received press the right scroll wheel button to have your text message read out loud and press again to respond by speaking out loud. You will also be able to view messages as they come in via the ā€˜Cardsā€™ section of the touchscreen.

Last edited:
So did anyone figure out how to lower the volume of an incoming phone call? (Using iPhone atm). I tried the following:

1) using scroll wheel while phone is ringing
2) lower iPhone volume
3) lower iPhone ringer volume
4) put phone on vibrate

Despite all these attempts, each incoming call is excessively loud.

Any help is appreciated

So did anyone figure out how to lower the volume of an incoming phone call? (Using iPhone atm). I tried the following:

1) using scroll wheel while phone is ringing
2) lower iPhone volume
3) lower iPhone ringer volume
4) put phone on vibrate

Despite all these attempts, each incoming call is excessively loud.

Any help is appreciated
Mine still doesn't ring in the car if phone is on silent it doesn't even pause the music šŸ˜‚ I rely on my apple watch to know the phone is ringing

I must be doing something wrong. The incoming call ringing is excessively loud. I tried ā€œforgettingā€ my iPhone and reconnecting via Bluetooth.
The music volume and chimes all work great, just the incoming call is out of proportionally loud.
If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you