Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to convert 2017 to heat pump?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TOBASH

Supporting Member
Any way to take a crashed MX and move the heat pump to a legacy 2017 P100D?

I’m not looking to trade in my 60,000 mile AWESOME MX anytime soon. I’d like the improved efficiency in Winter of the heat pumps if possible.

If not possible I’ll live with it.

Not possible. The "Heat pump" on the newer cars isn't a simple part that you swap in. It's literally the way that every single heat producing part on the vehicle (think electric motors spinning fan motors, etc.) is connected. Watch a video on the heat pump aspect of the new vehicles and how it works and you'll see that it's incredibly complex and not something you can swap out on older cars. There's a good one on YouTube that's like an hour long but well worth the watch. Incredible bit of engineering at play.

Ok
No. Of yes, but getting a new X would be easier end probably cheaper.
I literally hate the new Model X, and the new nags, including nagging full self drive are a deal killer. I also prefer a shifter stalk and my larger old style compute screens. My car is literally a champ, so I guess I will figure things out over time… as I suspect that it won’t be impossible to upgrade the heat system. Maybe I’m wrong but I still prefer what I’ve got.

I mean, Tesla wants to literally turn these cars into driverless taxis, however they won’t allow us to enjoy full self drive with the same amenities such as angles driving.

Last edited:
Any way to take a crashed MX and move the heat pump to a legacy 2017 P100D?

I’m not looking to trade in my 60,000 mile AWESOME MX anytime soon. I’d like the improved efficiency in Winter of the heat pumps if possible.

If not possible I’ll live with it.
Having owned + driven the old X (2018) for 5 years and now having a new one (2023) for 3 months— the new X is miles ahead of the old one. Don't get the yoke — get the steering — and you get used to the lack of stalks. Now, driving any other car seems stupid and archaic and I end up pressing random buttons on the steering wheel.

The things you don't get over are the lack of ultrasonic sensors and the new self-presenting door behavior (only opening 6 inches). But the new X drives 200% better, smoother, quieter, and more precisely than the old one. Build quality is also improved, and the new screen setup is actually more practical than looking far down as you had to do on the old one.

Upgrade to the new X — it's a good car.

Reactions: jboy210
Having owned + driven the old X (2018) for 5 years and now having a new one (2023) for 3 months— the new X is miles ahead of the old one. Don't get the yoke — get the steering — and you get used to the lack of stalks. Now, driving any other car seems stupid and archaic and I end up pressing random buttons on the steering wheel.

The things you don't get over are the lack of ultrasonic sensors and the new self-presenting door behavior (only opening 6 inches). But the new X drives 200% better, smoother, quieter, and more precisely than the old one. Build quality is also improved, and the new screen setup is actually more practical than looking far down as you had to do on the old one.

Upgrade to the new X — it's a good car.
Completely agree. Upgrading from a 2018 X to the 2022 X I love the new horizontal screen. I only wish mine tilted like the newer ones do. The ride is so much better, and the heat pump works nice without the drain on range.

I even like the yoke but understand it is not for everyone. I am a pilot so used to yokes. And Tesla has talked about adding variable speed sensitive steering rate which would make the yoke easier for some.

Are you kidding? Can’t even use FSD without nagware keeping track of your eye motion on newer MX.

As far as I’m concerned, as long as the weight of a person’s butt is in the driver’s seat, the FSD should function.
Ah that makes sense. I wasn't being sarcastic — just literally wanted a bit more of an explanation.
I agree — the new camera-based FSD sucks!