Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Way To Play Beach Buggy 2 With A Game Controller (afraid For Tire Wear)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the 2019.20.4.1 update and I love the immersive experience of playing Beach Buggy 2 in the car! :D

My only concern is that the steering wheel is still steering and I'm concerned about all the wear/damage to the tires due to "dry steering." How much of an issue is this, really?

I setup a wireless game controller using the wireless adapter and the Xbox controller recommended in another thread but unfortunately it doesn't look like Beach Buggy 2 supports game controllers. Has anyone been able to get a game controller to work with Beach Buggy 2?

Beach Buggy would be an awesome game to be supported by a game controller.

The games only access the torque sensors in the steering; The tires don't have to move. So if your car is off, you're not going to be moving the steering wheel more than a 1/2" or so, activating the left and right torque sensing ability of your steering. The tires won't budge.
^^exactly this^^
The game isn't using the steering wheel as an analog input, you only need the slightest turn for it to register in the game.
Coincidentally, probably about the same amount of turn for Autosteer to register you're holding the wheel :)
If you turn the wheel any further you'll get a warning on the game screen that you're turning the wheel too far.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
^^exactly this^^
The game isn't using the steering wheel as an analog input, you only need the slightest turn for it to register in the game.
Coincidentally, probably about the same amount of turn for Autosteer to register you're holding the wheel :)
If you turn the wheel any further you'll get a warning on the game screen that you're turning the wheel too far.
Is this conjecture or fact? Elon said the ‘real’ version would turn the wheels ‘a lot less’ (I believe) than the video which had them going all over the place.

If the answer was actually ‘they won’t turn at all’ you’d think we would have seen/heard that.

^^exactly this^^

So you're saying it's not a game, but an a training exercise for how much torque is needed to not get nagged? :)

Even without worry about tire wear I'd still prefer an analog control for more precise control.

The input might be minimal, but the sounds my tires make when providing input sounds awful, in my garage. I won't continue to play Beach Buggy 2 until they provide controller support.

Yeah I'm on the same boat as you. Love the game but something about the tires physically turning makes me feel uneasy. During game play, you end up turning the steering wheel beyond just the "torque sensing part." I played the game as carefully as I could and had someone make a video of the wheels and they do turn.

I'm fine with this for short durations but something about the tires grinding in place on rough concrete makes me uncomfortable about my tires. I hope they add Xbox controller support for this game. The other benefit is you can then have a passenger play the game as well.