Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Controller - Gaming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

I never got this to work on my old Model 3, especially in cup head. And I found so many different guides/ dongles etc.

I've just picked up a new Model Y (72 Plate) and thought I'd share my experience on how to get the wireless controllers working, as I couldn't find clear instructions.

Buy one of these 8bitdo dongles: 8BitDo Wireless Game Controller Adapter for Tesla - Tessories UK

Buy an Xbox Wireless Controller (the new ones with Bluetooth support). Buy Xbox Wireless Controller – Microsoft Store

Before moving ahead, plug the 8bitdo into a Windows PC, go to here: Upgrade tool - Support - 8BitDo and run the firmware update

Optional, USB hub to add more ports and keep sentry mode external device plugged in. See the hub here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FH7XJCD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To get everything to work:

1) Plug 8bitdo into glove box (it's the only port that works for data now....) or optional USB hub and push the button on the end of the 8bitdo once, this then scans for new devices.
2) Turn on Xbox Wireless Controller, then hold down the scan button on the top until it flashes quickly.
3) Once it vibrates, the controller is now connected.
4) Hold down the View + Right on the Xbox Controller (while it's connected to the 8bitdo) for 3 seconds, the 8bitdo will flash, this changes the mode so your Tesla can see the controller.
5) Check the arcade app on your Tesla to see if the controller required games now allow you to play, if not, unplug the 8bitdo and plug back in.
6) Enjoy wireless controller gaming.

Hope that's helpful.

Yes. I've ordered Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 Ultra Slim Data Hub for Macbook, Mac Pro/mini, iMac, Surface Pro, XPS, Notebook PC, USB Flash Drives, Mobile HDD, and More : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories (which was mentioned in another thread on here). Any bluetooth controller should in theory work. Most people seem to stick with xbox controllers.

In the future the tesla will be able to do all this on its own but there's no sign of that update yet.
thank you 🤝

I have bought the following and will update on success after the weekend. Have seen some reports that of various compatibility issues between some of the items and the Model Y
- 8bitdo wireless USB adaptor 2 (as above)
- 8bitdo SN30 PRO controller
- Anker 4 port USB 3.0 hub (as above)

I have bought the following and will update on success after the weekend. Have seen some reports that of various compatibility issues between some of the items and the Model Y
- 8bitdo wireless USB adaptor 2 (as above)
- 8bitdo SN30 PRO controller
- Anker 4 port USB 3.0 hub (as above)

The SN30 pro has the nintendo button configuration. I would be interested to know how it worked out...

I've been trying exactly this setup without any luck in my 2022 model y.
When the 8bitdo usb adaptor is plugged in, games like sonic etc will flash blue on and off a few times, then stay grey.
The 8bitdo is running the latest firmware.
What controller do you have?

You might be missing the mode switch part.

Here:
4) Hold down the View + Right on the Xbox Controller (while it's connected to the 8bitdo) for 3 seconds, the 8bitdo will flash, this changes the mode so your Tesla can see the controller.

I'm trying to use a PS4 DualShock 4 Controller. The pairing between the controller and 8bitdo went ok.
I then pressed and held "Share + Right" for 3 seconds.
It seemed like it wanted to try and work then it gave up, and couldn't launch any controller games (greyed out).

I will give it another try today.

I'm trying to use a PS4 DualShock 4 Controller. The pairing between the controller and 8bitdo went ok.
It seemed like it wanted to try and work then it gave up, and couldn't launch any controller games (greyed out).

Let me know how you get on as I have a DualShock 4 I would also like to use on my Y (when I get around to rewriting the data port)

Try these other modes, hopefully one works:

• SHARE + UP = Xinput mode
  • SHARE + LEFT = Dinput mode
  • SHARE + RIGHT = Mac mode
  • SHARE + DOWN = PSC mode
  • SHARE + L1 = Switch mode
  • SHARE + UP + LEFT = MD mode

Try these other modes, hopefully one works:

• SHARE + UP = Xinput mode
  • SHARE + LEFT = Dinput mode
  • SHARE + RIGHT = Mac mode
  • SHARE + DOWN = PSC mode
  • SHARE + L1 = Switch mode
  • SHARE + UP + LEFT = MD mode
Thanks, this worked.

Anker 4 usb hub + 8bitdo wireless dongle + ps4 controller all worked alongside the Tesla sentry USB in glovebox.

Update

SN30 Pro wired connection via Anker 4 port works well. Select "X-input" setting and away you go. Dashcam thumb drive also working

Wireless via 8bitdo Adaptor 2 not so much. Have followed "X-input" set up on Adaptor, the controller successfully connects to adaptor but cannot get car to recognise the controller is connected. Sonic "play game" button is greyed out

Might swap the 8bitdo 2 for the original 8bitdo version adaptor as a last try. If that fails just revert to cheapo wired controllers 🤷‍♂️

I have been successful with the anker mini usb 3 hub and a 1.8m usb3 type A to type C cable. It is thin enough to simply close the glovebox with the cable coming through the top lip. There is then enough cable to comfortably plug in an Xbox Series controller and use in either front seat in wired mode. Works well in the games that support controller input.

Worked first try with the 8bitdo 2 and an Xbox one controller I paired on a PC first to make sure everything was working that end.

gamepad-tester.com shows all the buttons working properly.

Sonic works but sky force reloaded still uses the touchscreen.. I know it can use joysticks as I used to play it that way on the model 3, unless Tesla have changed it.

Sky force reloaded works.. it's just buggy. some tests:

Xinput (up) not working
Dinput (left) works
Mac (right) works
PSC (down) works
Switch (L1) not working
MD (up+left) works

Changing modes I found the instructions a bit ambiguous but on my Xbox one controller it's the left small button (looks like two squares overlapping) and the X shaped joypad for direction. Hold them for 3 seconds. If you're using gamepad-tester you should see the change as soon as it happens.

Sky force reloaded is a special case - it loads in touch screen mode and needs to see a joystick connect whilst it is running to work with them (a bug I think). You can achieve this by just toggling modes which unplugs and replies the 'fake' joystick.

Last edited: