Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to PREVENT forgetting your phone inside the Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

webdevguy

Jun 14, 2024
us
My very first post!

From time to time my friend forgets his phone in his car. And he uses his phone as the key.

He has set a PIN for driving.

But, still, is there a way for a Tesla (Model Y to be specific) to remind you to take your phone when it detects you left it and are getting out of the car? If not that would be a great feature.

Ideas/suggestions welcomed! Thanks!

Reactions: mtiede and Gigga
Solution
In the beginning I used the app. "Phone Buddy" which alerted me on my Apple Watch when I left my phone.
Now I have a loud enough "close vehicle" sound which doesn't sound when I leave the phone.
Is iPhone able to have Siri recognize the car api? How exactly did you set that up? Can it be done on a Samsung S10 with Bixby?
I’m not sure about android phones. The iPhone has a “shortcuts” app where you can setup simple automations.

How it works is: an app will publish functionality to the shortcuts app. For the messages app, you can “send a message” for the music app you can “play a song”. The Tesla app allows you to do things like “unlock” and “crack the windows” through shortcuts. Basically whatever you can do in the app.

So I setup a shortcut to “stop charging” - “unlock” - “turn on climate” that I use in the morning on my way out the door. Once you name a shortcut, you can ask Siri to run it by saying the name.

If I hadn’t set that up, I wouldn’t have been able to get in.

Upvote 0
In the beginning I used the app. "Phone Buddy" which alerted me on my Apple Watch when I left my phone.
Now I have a loud enough "close vehicle" sound which doesn't sound when I leave the phone.
Apple watch automatically notifies you if you have FindMy notification turned on for your iPhone if its left behind (meaning bluetooth connection is lost). So not sure why you are using Phone Buddy App.

Upvote 0
I find my beep to be quite antisocial so I turned it off. I don't need to make an announcement every time I park up.
I changed my lock chime to the hoot of the great horned owl which is indigenous to my area (and sometimes my yard). People are generally happy to hear that sound. You can hear a great horned owl in the video below. I uploaded a .zip containing the .wav I use.

As for the OP, I am forgetful. On my business card I describe myself as: Absent minded professor -- retired. So when I'm in the car I try to always keep my phone in a pocket or in a bag that is attached to my body. In the rare cases when I want to charge my phone when I'm driving I use a small power bank that can go with my phone in the pocket or bag.

I wish phones still had little holes for attaching a lanyard.

Attachments

• owl-sound.zip
    961.9 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
3 years ago, Apple didn't had that feature yet 😉
And still, even now the notification comes only after a few 100 meters... Far too late.
I seriously doubt its 100 meters. Its more like 100 ft (or 30 meters). Anyway I have never counted but I got alerted as I was exiting the parking lot. Only happened once but was worth it for me. I suggest that folks who do have an iPhone and an Apple watch should set this up immediately. (Note: You can disable it for places like home, work, etc). In the absence of any other good indicator by Tesla, I have found this be to quite useful in the single instance when I forgot my phone in the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Krisja
Upvote 0
I seriously doubt its 100 meters. Its more like 100 ft (or 30 meters).

Maybe it depends on the iPhone model (with or without UWB).
On vacation, my wife got a notification, every time we went for a walk on the same place that she left her iPad behind and that was around 150 meters.
That is with an iPhone 11.
Maybe it is time related and not distance, meaning we walk a lot faster than you do 😀

Upvote 0