Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody driving 100 miles plus a day??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on the verge of selling my Lexus GS and going all in on a Model S. I average around 120 miles per day 35K miles a year. I am curious if anybody else is putting serious miles on their MS? and if so, how is it holding up?? How often are you having to swap out brakes and tires? Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks

Welcome! You are the perfect owner for a model S. Your fuel savings will be significant! That said, I lost my addiction for gasoline following a 600 mile + trip in one day. No problem!!

Brakes you don't have to worry about replacing as the car does most of that for you without using friction, but by putting energy back into the battery. Tires are an expense you will have. 21" tires seem to be lasting ~ 15,000 miles. 19" tires seem to be getting about double that. Mostly depending on how heavy your foot is. Enjoy the S !

Welcome! You are the perfect owner for a model S. Your fuel savings will be significant! That said, I lost my addiction for gasoline following a 600 mile + trip in one day. No problem!!

Brakes you don't have to worry about replacing as the car does most of that for you without using friction, but by putting energy back into the battery. Tires are an expense you will have. 21" tires seem to be lasting ~ 15,000 miles. 19" tires seem to be getting about double that. Mostly depending on how heavy your foot is. Enjoy the S !

Loyd!

Was also driving a GS before. My MS85 has 22k miles, delivered 8 Mar 13, drive it pretty hard, still original Goodyear tires (maybe another 2-3k miles on the tires). Brakes almost like new (lots of highway miles). Car is holding up exceptionally well. JUST THINK ABOUT THE $ YOU WILL SAVE ON GASS, TUNE UPS, OIL CHANGES, SMOG CHECKS, etc...............The most refined ride I have ever had!! Get off the "verge" and DO IT! You will not regret it!

Was also driving a GS before. My MS85 has 22k miles, delivered 8 Mar 13, drive it pretty hard, still original Goodyear tires (maybe another 2-3k miles on the tires). Brakes almost like new (lots of highway miles). Car is holding up exceptionally well. JUST THINK ABOUT THE $ YOU WILL SAVE ON GASS, TUNE UPS, OIL CHANGES, SMOG CHECKS, etc...............The most refined ride I have ever had!! Get off the "verge" and DO IT! You will not regret it!

How can you put 22K on a car in a year?, where do you drive to?

I love my GS, but holy wow 23MPG combined, I'm spending 500 a month on gas alone, not to mention the recent maintenance, its on 06 and stuff is beginning to happen, spark plugs, timing belt, alternator- etc etc etc.

It will be used primarily for business, so hopefully some nice write offs as well!!

- - - Updated - - -

I drive between houses, schools, and clinics here in Arizona, lots and lots of miles. Drove 150 just today!!! Everything is so spread out here, hard not to drive a ton!!

How can you put 22K on a car in a year?, where do you drive to?

Lots of trips to the Bay Area.........Napa, Auburn, Ca, LA, one to Albuquerque (before superchargers :( ) Planning an all supercharger trip to Chicago in June. Most refined drive I have ever had, and I love driving it! Fortunately, only one speeding ticket (Calf CHIPS got me doing 95.....ouch!!!)

I put less than 50 miles a week on my car, just curious on where people are driving to out so many miles on their cars!

Mostly work miles for me, which get reimbursed at $.56 a mile. My office is only 30 miles away but I'm there about twice a month. I visit clients every day, sometimes more than one, and sometimes far away. I have some clients >200 miles away. Every month lately I've been doing a 600 miles round trip visit (usually there 2-3 days). I enjoy my Model S so much I've even driven when I would normally fly. I drove to Denver and back when the Moab supercharger came online to try out supercharging.

The miles just keep ticking up!

I put 2000 miles per month on my P85. I got it in November 2012 and have 36k miles on it now (it had around a month of no use last year).
I am on my third set of 21" tires, and these have 6k miles on them. At this point, part of me wishes I had opted for the 19" rims (and I have seen some sweet powered coated black ones at work lately).

Yes I drive a little over 100 miles a day when I work away from home. On top of that I drive longer trips almost weekly (L.A. <-> Phoenix). On average it's 150 miles a day. Brakes will last you for a long time as most of the slowing down on the Model S is done by the motor acting as a generator. "Regenerative braking" does 90% of the work and you only need your brakes for very sudden stops or the very last bit stopping the car on red lights. I wouldn't worry about brake pads for the next 2-3 years.

Tires last based on how you drive. Use the fun pedal (accelerator) a lot and you will grind them down quick. Same for going faster in general. I don't think there is a difference in how long the tires will last on the Model S vs a similar gas car.

Overall the Model S is holding up really well for me driving a lot. The funny thing is, despite driving so much I don't even have a home charger! I depend 100% on public chargers and Superchargers on trips. There are plenty free ones here in Los Angeles and of course Superchargers are free. For the last 4500 miles I spent maybe $45 on public charging stations, the rest was all free. On a similar gas car and gas prices here in Los Angeles I would have payed $800 on gas. I grin each time I see the price for gas going up every week. No reason to hesitate getting a Model S as a heavy use car. So far I had no real issues with my car. After a month with the Model S you will kick yourself for not having switched earlier.

I love my GS, but holy wow 23MPG combined, I'm spending 500 a month on gas alone, not to mention the recent maintenance, its on 06 and stuff is beginning to happen, spark plugs, timing belt, alternator- etc etc etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I drive between houses, schools, and clinics here in Arizona, lots and lots of miles. Drove 150 just today!!! Everything is so spread out here, hard not to drive a ton!!

It will be used primarily for business, so hopefully some nice write offs as well!!

Mine was an 06 also and would probably still be driving it, but my wife got T-boned in it (fortunately she hardly had a scratch). GS is a great car, but not a Tesla!! In less than 5 years what you save in JUST GAS will more that cover the differential between a new GS and the MS. If you write off or are reimbursed for business miles, that's still $.56 per mile whether your putting in gas or electrons!!!:biggrin::wink::love:

I think Im sold, I've changed the breaks twice already in the last year on my GS!!!!!! Does everybody have the 85, anyone have the 60W? W the increase of charging stations, I am wondering if the 60W would suffice

I got the 85 not because I need it. My normal driving would fit well within the 60's range, but I just wanted to have the extra buffer and peace of mind. Just in case you want to take a little detour or something unplanned happens. The 85 kW battery has Supercharging included, on the 60 kW battery you pay $2000 extra. The 85 has more power (faster acceleration and top speed). The warranty on the 85 is also better. So all things considered the 85 just made sense to me.

I used to often drive 102 miles a day with a BMW Active E (about 100 mile range) with the Model S, it's more... 160 miles today alone. I'm at 11,000 miles after picking up the car on November 8... So, I'm pretty close to 25k a year, on the average.

I've put 14000 miles on my P85 in my 6 months since delivery and loving every minute of it. I had the chance to drive a 60 for three days this week and while I could definitely see it being our second car I don't see it being our main car. Just with the mileage alone I want the peace of mind knowing that once I hit 125000 miles at 5 years at this fate I'll still have a few years left.

We have 24,500 on ours after 13 months of ownership -- though we were out of the country for a month of that, so really 12 months of driving. Our son's school is currently 25 miles away, so back and forth twice is 100 miles per weekday, plus wherever else we drive. He won't be quite as far starting next year (probably 12-13 miles away), so the miles won't add up quite as fast. But loving every mile of NOT filling up. When we bought our Tesla we had 4 cars, so it made 5. We're down to 2 (the Tesla and a 2005 Lexus LX470 for the nasty days or moving big stuff/our Great Dane etc). We just never drove the gas cars anymore, and sold them.