Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody else snap a visor clip yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...chewed out my daughter for breaking mount last week. Now I see it may be one of the few vulnerabilities in the minimalist interior.
I suspect the robot or person screwed the piece a little too tight which caused problems before my daughter touched it.... daughter is strong but not exactly a bull in a china closet.

My wife did the same yesterday with the passenger side visor. An obvious design flaw but still, I got great mileage out of pretending she had trashed our new car. Anyway, here is the part number for two clips. I will try to talk Tesla into mailing the part/s since the nearest service centers are over 500 miles and the closest roamer is 100 miles. I can put back in 20 seconds. I glued the old part and put it back, it's holding but plastic and glue are not very good friends.

M3, VISOR CHECK BASE
1130993-00-B

• Informative
Reactions: Johnii__82
My wife snapped it today. We have the model 3 not even three weeks. I couldn't believe it is so fragile but then I saw here it is a very common problem. I scheduled the service today on the app but it will take me more then 4 weeks for the appointment in the service center.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnii__82
My passenger side one snapped off ( about 3 months ago) when my wife went to go reach for it. Mobile service came out and said that apparently during assembly they forgot to install a washer ( he showed me the hardware). He installed the new washer and it’s been solid ever since. Some QA issues I’ve never experienced on previous cars.

I broke off the passenger-side visor clip back on Dec. 26. I made a service appointment via the app (soonest available = Jan. 9). This was my first experience with Tesla mobile service. A few observations -
  • The appointment confirmation email said "For a touchless Service experience, please park your car in an accessible location. You’ll receive a notification once your Mobile Technician has arrived on-site and started work." I somehow interpreted this to mean the technician wouldn't need me - they'd just magically unlock my car and perform the service. Not so. The technician rang my doorbell upon arrival, and asked me to unlock the car.
  • The technician told me "I hope you saved the screw." Apparently they have the clips in stock, but they don't even carry the screw in their parts catalog. Fortunately, I did keep the screw. (If you're smart - don't even remove the screw. Just leave it in place.)
  • According to the invoice I received, there are two separate parts involved here -
    • M3, VISOR CHECK COVER(1130994-00-A)
    • M3, VISOR CHECK BASE(1130993-00-B)
  • The charge was $0.00, since my car is only 16 months old and still under warranty.
  • The whole thing took <5 minutes and the guy was great.
  • The time range for my appointment was originally 12:30-4:30pm. Two days prior, I was messaged via the Tesla app that the time was changed to 8:30am-12:30pm. The technician messaged me via the app at 8:01am, telling me his ETA was 10:30am. He ended up arriving at 10:04am.
  • I didn't think to ask for an extra replacement clip (as previous posters have suggested). Wish I'd thought of that.

Found this post after trying several service centers for parts with no luck. I googled the part number and found this seller on Ebay:
I ordered two, just in case. We just took delivery on a Model Y and they are using a magnetic catch that is a big improvement.

We just took delivery on a Model Y and they are using a magnetic catch that is a big improvement.
Can you tell by looking at your Model Y, if the magnetic latch parts will retrofit to earlier cars?

From ebay.com, seller's listing photo, a used visor with magnetic clip...

MagneticVisorLatch.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like the headliner has molded-in fitment pieces for the newer magnetic clips. And to remove them, it looks like it requires dropping the headliner

Newer visor magnetic clips
MagneticVisorLatch3.JPG

MagneticVisorLatch4.JPG

Older visor clips
MagneticVisorLatch6.JPG

MagneticVisorLatch10.JPG

Could be that their is a way to make a nylon adapter that is printed with a 3D printer. Here's the newer magnetic part removed.
MagneticVisorLatch7.JPG

MagneticVisorLatch8.JPG