Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone brought the Model X SunShade from weathertech?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about the Shades sold by Tesla for the rear liftgate and FWD? Has anyone tried these? WeatherTech is a good company, but so far I don't know of a company that sells the "perfect" shades for the MX.

How about the Shades sold by Tesla for the rear liftgate and FWD? Has anyone tried these? WeatherTech is a good company, but so far I don't know of a company that sells the "perfect" shades for the MX.
I use the shades sold by Tesla for both the S and the X. You are able to use them while driving, as you can still see out the rear view mirror. They offer some relief from the sun. Shades, such as made by WeatherTech or HeatShield are total blackout shades, and are far better at shielding heat (or cold), but at the expense of totally blocking the rear view mirror.

I have not used WeatherTech shades. I have used HeatShield shades on both the S and the X. While they do the job, the shades for the front windshield on the X do not stay up as well as I would like.

Reactions: LoveMX
Going by the picture on the site, the WeatherTech windshield screens are going to be a pain to use.
1. They are split in half, which is always a pain (I have some split in half ones for the S--not WeatherTech).
2. You will need something on the dash to hold them up against the window because they will sag.
3. After a while, because of the two piece construction, they will leave gaps that let heat in.

They might be okay if a way was found to reliably mount them on the exterior rather than the interior.

Going by the picture on the site, the WeatherTech windshield screens are going to be a pain to use.
1. They are split in half, which is always a pain (I have some split in half ones for the S--not WeatherTech).
2. You will need something on the dash to hold them up against the window because they will sag.
3. After a while, because of the two piece construction, they will leave gaps that let heat in.

They might be okay if a way was found to reliably mount them on the exterior rather than the interior.
Unfortunately, the windshield is so large that nobody has found a workable solution for making a one-piece. Mounting on the exterior is out of the question. Between the weather, vandals, thieves, and animals, your shield would not last long. I have seen thrift store beach towels placed on the windshield, but I wouldn't want to go that route.

Unfortunately, the windshield is so large that nobody has found a workable solution for making a one-piece. Mounting on the exterior is out of the question. Between the weather, vandals, thieves, and animals, your shield would not last long. I have seen thrift store beach towels placed on the windshield, but I wouldn't want to go that route.
Yes, for exterior you'd need one that was designed for that. I can think of a couple of ways a one piece could be made, but it would be different than what they have set up so I don't think anyone would bother. Even in a two piece, the sagging can be fixed (the one for my S doesn't sag), but it won't be like the one shown on the website.

I have the Covercraft sunshade. It's slightly higher than a normal sunshade (and def doesn't go up as far as the Weathertech), but I'm in the middle of Summer #3 with it and it does a great job, esp if I'm parked facing the sun. I haven't felt a need for more coverage.

That said, the Weathertech would be great for car camping, since it covers all the untinted windows. :)

I have the Weathetech sunshade for my X. Besides trying to figure out how to put it in (directions were non existent) once installed helped tremendously. Can be kinda tucked under upper headliner to hold on place from sagging.

I have the Heatsheild and it works well in AZ sun. It’s a two piece. 1 is the front up to the visors and provides total coverage. The second is for above. I’ve only used that twice. That piece has suction cups and works. I like it since I mostly just cover the front unless the car will be in the sun for a really long time. Preconditioning with the AC does a great job. Brings the interior from 140 to 90 really fast and down to 73 fast enough from there.