Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else’s Spotify perform poorly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got Spotify with v10 on my 2013 S last week. I have LTE. I signed up for the 3 month premium trial, and will cancel for sure if the poor performance continues. The player hangs often and I get the spinning wheel o’ buffering. It will play for a few seconds then buffer for a few minutes. If I switch to radio then back to Spotify, it seems to help, but then happens again randomly. Slacker works just fine, so it doesn’t seem to be a streaming problem.
I have a 2015 S and got the 10 update when it came out. Instantly tried my Spotify which did not work then slacker stopped working with all my streaming apps. Worked with the Tesla IT group from Quebec which they tried to fix it remotely with no luck. Setup an appointment to bring the car into my local repair shop. They ended up working on it remotely and got it all working by reformatting slacker before the appointment. All works now but had to reconfigure all my settings after that to include my garage door openers. I suspect they are not testing the new software much with the older cars to flush out issues before it hits the street. After all this I am afraid to even try Spotify. I am now very leary of any SW update!

I’m very disappointed in the Spotify app. Saved albums do not come over, no gapless playback, no explicit filter and does not mark explicit songs like in iPhone app so hard to play any songs I don’t already know with my daughter in the car and now the spinning and not playing has started. As many shortcomings as slacker has, its better than this!
I figured out a workaround on the album issue. Spotify on Tesla is actually showing the albums in the "Recommended Albums based on the songs you like" section of the Spotify app, as opposed to far more intuitively showing albums you've saved/added to your library. So to get the album to show up on the Tesla interface, you have to "like" one song on the album. Spotify will then put the whole album in the Recommended section, and then those albums will show up in your car. You might also have to remove the album from your saved/added to your library section to get it to show up in the recommended section.

It's pretty lame to have to do that workaround, but it appears to work at least in my Model S.

Last edited:
Spotify just stops playing sometimes.

I switch to slacker then back to Spotify to restart, problem is it loses my place in the playlist.

Is Spotify this flaky on European models?

Oh yes, dont worry - its not an American thing

v8 had its share of Spotify issues, but v9 made it almost impossible to listen to (and enjoy) music with Spotify in MCU1/AP2.5 cars. Every 5-15 seconds the song would stutter/skip a second.
V10 actually almost fixed that, it still occurs, but now other bugs have been introduced..

• Informative
Reactions: mpmeyer