Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else have FSD in a mountainous area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner here. 2022 MYLR FSD. Does anyone else live in a mountainous area and try to use FSD? I live in West Virginia so every day I'm going up and down hills. It's not the Rockies or anything, but rarely am I not driving at an incline or decline. What I'm noticing is that as it starts up a hill, it will reach certain points where it starts to brake for no reason. I've had FSD and even autosteer completely disengage.

It also likes to change lanes away from our state flower, the orange road cone. But there's no getting away from them because they are on both sides of the road, always and forever. On 2-lane highways with hills on both sides, I can feel the car's anxiety rising.

Does this get better with time, or are there best practices I haven't learned yet?

The system is very cautious right now, and much of the behavior you're experiencing is normal in those conditions. It will likely get better as improvements are made and the software is validated in different/challenging conditions.

When you say that the car brakes for no reason with FSD and Autosteer disengaged, do you still have TACC enabled? If it's braking while you are driving manually with no ADAS features enabled, that's concerning unless there are warnings on the screen about a potential collision.

The system is very cautious right now, and much of the behavior you're experiencing is normal in those conditions. It will likely get better as improvements are made and the software is validated in different/challenging conditions.

When you say that the car brakes for no reason with FSD and Autosteer disengaged, do you still have TACC enabled? If it's braking while you are driving manually with no ADAS features enabled, that's concerning unless there are warnings on the screen about a potential collision.
Thanks for that. FSD and Autosteer are engaged when the braking for no reason happens while going up/down a hill/mountain. It's almost like it can't see far enough ahead so it assumes the worst and brakes?

Thanks for that. FSD and Autosteer are engaged when the braking for no reason happens while going up/down a hill/mountain. It's almost like it can't see far enough ahead so it assumes the worst and brakes?
Yeah, I get this quite a bit myself. I haven't driven through mountains on FSD, but even in the rural, curvy & hilly areas that I frequent, it will often break if it can't clearly see what's coming next. It's strangely inconsistent though. Thankfully, the phantom braking has gotten MUCH better in recent versions, so here's hoping that trend continues!