Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 2 steps back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model 3 with 93K delightful miles on it pulled a punch on me today. I have had several impressive long drives with FSD, but my wife does not like it, so I only use it when I am solo driving. I have loved the improvements over time.
Today was a most disappointing experience. I was looking forward to a 100 mile drive alone. After about 10 miles Nicki (for Nicola) started to slow down to about 30 miles in a 55 mile zone for no reason that I could see. Then it cut into the left turn lane for no reason. Then it refused to change lanes when I put on the turn signal. Then in on an uncomplicated highway, mostly straight, asked me to slightly turn the steering wheel 11 times in 4 minutes. Then it disengaged FSD for no reason at all and warned me that "Telemetry from your vehicle indicates improper use of FSD". I almost feel like a man who's wife cheated on him.
Seems like FSD lost some of it's grey cells. Anyone else have such a disappointing drive?

My 2018 Model 3 with 93K delightful miles on it pulled a punch on me today. I have had several impressive long drives with FSD, but my wife does not like it, so I only use it when I am solo driving. I have loved the improvements over time.
Today was a most disappointing experience. I was looking forward to a 100 mile drive alone. After about 10 miles Nicki (for Nicola) started to slow down to about 30 miles in a 55 mile zone for no reason that I could see. Then it cut into the left turn lane for no reason. Then it refused to change lanes when I put on the turn signal. Then in on an uncomplicated highway, mostly straight, asked me to slightly turn the steering wheel 11 times in 4 minutes. Then it disengaged FSD for no reason at all and warned me that "Telemetry from your vehicle indicates improper use of FSD". I almost feel like a man who's wife cheated on him.
Seems like FSD lost some of it's grey cells. Anyone else have such a disappointing drive?
You bought an unfinished product and your wife recognized that fact right away. How much longer for you to realize that the end of 2023 is only about a month away and there's no possible way that FSD will be consumer quality by then as predicted by Tesla.

Reactions: Kimmi
Then in on an uncomplicated highway, mostly straight, asked me to slightly turn the steering wheel 11 times in 4 minutes.

Are you really experienced using FSD? It sounds like you weren't either applying torque to the steering wheel or manipulating the scroll wheels... letting the car know you're there and paying attention. There are some quirks, for sure, but this sounds like you weren't giving the car the right feedback, so it put you in FSD jail. The nag has been a part of AP/FSD operation for some time, although it has recently started supplementing the torque sensor with eye tracking. If you were applying steering torque, perhaps the torque sensor has gone bad?

although it has recently started supplementing the torque sensor with eye tracking. If you were applying steering torque, perhaps the torque sensor has gone bad?

Alternatively, OP was doing something with his eyes (perhaps planning a route on the NAV or searching for a playlist?) that indicated that he wasn't meeting the 'paying attention' standard even though torque was still being applied. After all those miles, OP would know how to hold the wheel to make FSD happy.

I've never had a strike-out but that's mostly because I end up saying "eff this" and take the car out of FSDb or EAP when the requests get too numerous. I used to get the warnings all the time until I finally learned (from here at TMC) that my two hands on the wheel and eyes straight ahead method of paying attention while using EAP or FSDb were balancing torque and I was missing the screen warnings until I got an audio warning. Now with eye-tracking plus one hand on the wheel, not two, my warnings are infrequent. And basically none if wearing sun glasses. Unless I do something like try and find a specific podcase episode or figure out WTF the Nav is thinking.