Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else have practical questions about ownership after a year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jsanford

Red Model 3
Apr 27, 2016
Seattle
Since we made our reservation, I've been thinking about the real-world consequences of owning an electric car. I was an early hybrid owner, and weird stuff came up, usually at inconvenient times.

- Since our streets are riddled with potholes, we get our cars' alignment adjusted twice a year. Will a Tesla, with its different weight distribution, need this as well?

- What's a polite way to ask to plug in on an overnight trip to the in-laws?

- Will the curb weight be comparable to cars its size?

- What about windshield cracks if we go for the glass roof?

- Anything I should know about rear wheel drive? I've only ever owned pickup trucks with it.

- Will the Good to Go toll pass have issues? I'd heard Model S owners need to use motorcycle headlight passes.

- Will insurance really go up? When I traded in my hybrid for a brand-new ICE, my rates went down.

- When the sides get beaten up by door dings at Costco, can I handle it the same way?

This isn't talking myself out of the reservation--we're all in, especially now that a red model has been sighted--just wondering how we first-time EV/Tesla owners can benefit from others' experiences in the real world.

- Teslas put their suspension on one wheel at a time just like other cars and keeping the alignment in spec will help tire life.
- "Do you mind if we stay at this hotel down the road since they have a destination charger?"
- There are no comparable cars yet, but it will feel more nimble than it should for the weight.
- the wait for a new windshield will probably be many weeks.
- lots on the forums about RWD MS, and Bjorn's early videos, should be fine in most conditions and great with proper winter tires
- MX can host a toll charger anywhere on the heavily tinted upper section, expect the same.
- Who said insurance was going to go up? Most reports here have been just the opposite.
- No

In some places (California for one), Teslas are very expensive to insure. Mine cost me an extra $1000 per year over a similarly priced Audi we also own. And I shopped around.

That has not been my experience as a CA owner and most owners seem to find good deals after shopping around. There is lots of information on this thread and others: Insurance On Model S?

That has not been my experience as a CA owner and most owners seem to find good deals after shopping around. There is lots of information on this thread and others: Insurance On Model S?

Eh, I guess maybe I am the exception or something. I checked everyone but Geico (because I have had problems with them in the past), and the Tesla was just very expensive to insure compared to our other cars.

The OP should call and get quotes on an S60 if they are interested in guesstimating rates.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: jsanford and EinSV
Eh, I guess maybe I am the exception or something. I checked everyone but Geico (because I have had problems with them in the past), and the Tesla was just very expensive to insure compared to our other cars.

The OP should call and get quotes on an S60 if they are interested in guesstimating rates.

You're definitely not the exception. The insurance on my S is also almost $1000 more than another car of mine, that's more expensive than the S.

Even though it was brand new, I had to take the S into the insurance company to be inspected and photographed, and then it took two weeks for them to review and decide if they were going to insure it at all. The rep said they've had a lot of claims on Tesla's and now consider it an 'exotic' car, hence the high price and extra process.

I doubt the 3 will be treated the same way.

"Will the Good to Go toll pass have issues? I'd heard Model S owners need to use motorcycle headlight passes."?

What is a motorcycle headlight pass?
Many S's have a problem with windshield mount transponders. I bought the bumper mount and put it in the nose cone.

Yeah, I cannot afford the 3 if the insurance rates are as high as they are for the S.

Tesla knows this and will offer an insurance mechanism. Right now it is bundled, because of their luxury customer set.

The model 3 customers are different and many will likely balk (this is one of those "it is hard to grow from the top" traps). The balking on insurance costs will become a rumor and people will not even visit Tesla showrooms saying: "Is the insurance high because they catch on fire?"

To avoid all this mess, Elon will talk to the accountants and say, "For families on a budget, insurance has its own envelope. We, Tesla, get bad press and sell fewer cars if we break that insurance envelope. Offer an insurance product that fits in the insurance budget (envelope) leaving extra money that can be moved to the college fund. That way we: Sell more cars; Drive right past the break even point for our factory; Create positive buzz about how safe and affordable the vehicle is; and provide better futures for our customers and their families."

Tesla should listen to Elon when he says this, and offer an auto insurance product that fits in the budget envelope with room to spare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla knows this and will offer an insurance mechanism

Tesla already does this in other non-US markets. I don't know if they have plans to bring it here.

Tesla needs to sort out the repair costs issue to lower insurance costs over the long haul. Hopefully the new plans for adding more certified repair shops will help. Of course parts shortages will still be an issue, but at least folks will have more competition on the labor rates.

Reactions: democappy and 22522
Insurance on MS/MX is all over the place, right now. Folks are shipping around. Some have found their rates increasing a good bit. However, it's all tied to cost of repair, and that's a total unknown for the Model 3 at this time.

My insurance went up a little but no more than I expected it would when going from a 5 year old car worth about $20k to a car I just paid over $100k for. Actually, it went up less than I expected.

In other words, it's pretty much "wait and see" for insurance rates.

• Informative
Reactions: jsanford
Tesla already does this in other non-US markets. I don't know if they have plans to bring it here.

Tesla needs to sort out the repair costs issue to lower insurance costs over the long haul. Hopefully the new plans for adding more certified repair shops will help. Of course parts shortages will still be an issue, but at least folks will have more competition on the labor rates.

I have not seen any evidence Teslas are on average more expensive to insure than similarly priced cars. As can be seen in many threads on TMC, if owners shop around for insurance they can get great deals.

Also, the best way to reduce insurance rates is to avoid accidents and reduce injuries. According to the NHTSA, after AP1 Autosteer was activated serious accidents dropped by 40%. AP2 is a more robust system and Tesla has predicted that it may eventually reduce accident rates by as much as 90%. This should drive insurance rates down dramatically over time.

If insurers don't reduce rates, Tesla has already indicated that it plans to offer insurance in more markets. For example, Jon McNeill recently said:

“We’re actually currently doing that [offering insurance in some countries]. We’ve been doing it quietly, but in Asia in particular where we started this the majority of Tesla cars are now sold with an insurance product that is customized to Tesla that takes into account – not only the Autopilot safety features – but also the maintenance costs of the car. It’s our vision in the future that we will be able to offer a single price for the car, maintenance, and insurance in a really compelling offering for the consumer – and we’re currently doing that today.”​

Tesla expands on its new car insurance program as self-driving technology improves

Anything I should know about rear wheel drive? I've only ever owned pickup trucks with it.

A RWD Model 3 will be much more well behaved than a RWD pickup truck just due to the better weight distribution on the drive wheels. I can break my rear tires loose when gunning it on my P85, but I don't think the non-P versions have that issue at all. If you don't get a lot of snow and ice where you live, I might not worry about it. Even if you do get snow and ice, you can always buy a nice set of winter tires to improve traction.

Since we made our reservation, I've been thinking about the real-world consequences of owning an electric car. I was an early hybrid owner, and weird stuff came up, usually at inconvenient times.

Unless your in-laws have a 220V 40 amp service with outlet where charger will fit, you'll be staying at the hotel with destination charger anyway!

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36

- Since our streets are riddled with potholes, we get our cars' alignment adjusted twice a year. Will a Tesla, with its different weight distribution, need this as well?

- Will the curb weight be comparable to cars its size?

- What about windshield cracks if we go for the glass roof?

- Anything I should know about rear wheel drive? I've only ever owned pickup trucks with it.

- Will the Good to Go toll pass have issues? I'd heard Model S owners need to use motorcycle headlight passes.

- Will insurance really go up? When I traded in my hybrid for a brand-new ICE, my rates went down.

- When the sides get beaten up by door dings at Costco, can I handle it the same way?

This isn't talking myself out of the reservation--we're all in, especially now that a red model has been sighted--just wondering how we first-time EV/Tesla owners can benefit from others' experiences in the real world.

I will take a shot at guessing/answering
- No idea on the adjustment frequency for that.
- Just ask. As easy as that. Give them $5 for the electricity used or bring a bottle of wine or something as a thank you. It usually isn't that big a deal. Just be very willing to cover the cost or way overpay and give them a $20 if they have no idea how much electricity costs. Obviously, big caveats to this if your in-laws don't like you or they are not set-up in a way that it is at all convenient. Most houses have an external 110v.
- I assume heavier due to the battery pack. The S is heavy.
- No idea, but as mentioned in another user's comment, the windshield and roof aren't all one piece. (I have pano and not all glass, so I am taking the other poster's word for it)
- Mine is RWD and it has never impacted me negatively. I had never driven a RWD vehicle before and I honestly don't notice a difference 99% of the time. I live in a place with very limited amounts of snowfall a year, but it looks like it is the same for you. The car is heavy and the weight is evenly distributed which helps a lot.
- I don't use toll passes, but my understanding is there is only a specific spot you can put the transponder and have it work through the windshield.
- Insurance is more, but I don't think anything too crazy. My insurance went up, but I also swapped a $5k car for a $80k car so its tough for me to tell exactly how much was extra because it was a Tesla. I do believe it is higher than normal because of how dependent they are on Tesla for repair items. It just is way more expensive to repair and that raises the premiums.
- Not entirely sure I know what you mean by that. How would you handle it normally? Last I knew, Tesla doesn't sell the blue touch-up paint for some ridiculous reason. For the most part I would guess you would handle it the same, but like anything else Tesla you are kind of stuck with what they make and/or allow others to do. Thankfully, no door dings yet on mine.

My insurance rates when down when I bought my Tesla. Of course I don't have a performance model.