Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else really tempted to just go and sit in their car right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So looking at the forecast for Monday... if we lived in a built up area, I would be leaving the car plugged in and we'd be camping out in the back of it with an awning..

Feeling for those in London / cities in the Midlands who are facing some seriously hot nights for the next week or so. Especially those in apartments. Most of the UK just isn't set up for this.

Reactions: PITA
So looking at the forecast for Monday... if we lived in a built up area, I would be leaving the car plugged in and we'd be camping out in the back of it with an awning..

Feeling for those in London / cities in the Midlands who are facing some seriously hot nights for the next week or so. Especially those in apartments. Most of the UK just isn't set up for this.

Tactical Air Conditioning deployed...

** Incoming Sirens **

Steady 21 Degrees, Shields Up...

Screenshot_20210716-200039_Gallery.jpg

20210716_222137.jpg

20210716_222148.jpg

People don't seem to realise you can DIY install a mini split system. Many manufacturers sell pre-gassed ones, so really it's just a case of drilling a hole, feeding the supplied pipework through and mounting the internal and external units. As long as you have a spare socket near the location of the inside unit, you're laughing (getting a spark in to wire a bigger system into it's own spur is a good idea).

£350-£600 and you won't regret it, though you get what you pay for and it needs 2 strong people as the units are not light!

Reactions: Akikiki
People don't seem to realise you can DIY install a mini split system. Many manufacturers sell pre-gassed ones, so really it's just a case of drilling a hole, feeding the supplied pipework through and mounting the internal and external units. As long as you have a spare socket near the location of the inside unit, you're laughing (getting a spark in to wire a bigger system into it's own spur is a good idea).

£350-£600 and you won't regret it, though you get what you pay for and it needs 2 strong people as the units are not light!
Some of the professional units come pregassed too. Otherwise take out a window pane - wedge a fridge in the gap and open the door. But the ice-cream will melt..:rolleyes:

Reactions: Skie
Nice looking hardware! 👍

The main benefit for us, is the units are very very quiet. Which is needed for bedroom use. You can also turn off all the unit LED lights for darkness preference.

These units also produce 3.5kW of heat so can be used all year round, and filter the air as they operate.

Good bit of kit.

Comes with a nice Smartphone App, to control each unit from anywhere. So you can precondition the house before you get home.

You can also use a back-lit hardware remote control unit, ideal for Guest bedrooms...

Screenshot_20220716-214934.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Doudeau
Meant to ask.... how do i stop the ac coming on all the time ?

Sometimes i just need to pop into the car to grab something or unload the car for example....
Does it come in hours after you parked? If so and it’s not cabin heat over protect and it’s not your car waking up after sensing your phone, then must be a bug.

Your AC will run for a period of time after you park up, just to clear/dry out the ducts to prevent them getting smelly

The main benefit for us, is the units are very very quiet. Which is needed for bedroom use. You can also turn off all the unit LED lights for darkness preference.

These units also produce 3.5kW of heat so can be used all year round, and filter the air as they operate.

Good bit of kit.

Comes with a nice Smartphone App, to control each unit from anywhere. So you can precondition the house before you get home.

You can also use a back-lit hardware remote control unit, ideal for Guest bedrooms...

View attachment 829237
I have a split AC in my bedroom that was installed before WiFi was available on such units. But I brought a Broadlink M4 IR unit on Amazon for $40. Then linked it to Amazon. I created some routines to control the AC. Now, after 11 pm, The AC goes on automatically for 15 minutes, then turns itself off. And 90 minutes later, the same thing again. This goes on all night. I like that I know when its turning on and off vice a temperature control setting turning it off and on.

Then I created another routine that alternates between between the 90 minute intervals of the first routine. So, with a voice command, I can engage the second routine and combined with the auto first routine, the AC turns on every 45 minutes for 15 minutes and shuts off again. The second one does not automatically turn on, unless I give it the voice command.

Reactions: PITA

Good bit of kit.

View attachment 829237
What brand / unit are they?

In this country we don’t know how to stop our homes getting hot tin the first place. Closing the curtains can help a bit but really it does very little because the heat is already in the room. On the continent they use external shutters. I have a property in the Haute-Pyrénées, and although it gets much hotter there (it hit 42°C last week) the house never gets as warm as at home simply because of the shutters.

I’ve always resisted getting aircon because, however efficient the units, it’s not exactly environmentally friendly. It’s getting so intolerably hot now though that I might have to go for it, at least in the bedroom and living room.

Keep the curtains closed where the sun shines in and open them as it passes. Leave them closed when you wake up for it to be effective and don’t open windows.

When I lived in Arizona our friends told us to keep all the blinds closed where the sun was shining through, even when we had Aircon running. It’s very effective ~45c outside and with Aircon off it was ~18c inside. Which meant the Aircon worked way less when we had it running. The homes also had the roof designed so it over hung more of the sides which reduced the amount of sunlight coming through.

British homes are not designed for hot humid weather so as the world gets hotter and weather becomes more extreme it’s going to get more uncomfortable. 😞