Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else really tempted to just go and sit in their car right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this country we don’t know how to stop our homes getting hot tin the first place. Closing the curtains can help a bit but really it does very little because the heat is already in the room. On the continent they use external shutters. I have a property in the Haute-Pyrénées, and although it gets much hotter there (it hit 42°C last week) the house never gets as warm as at home simply because of the shutters.

I’ve always resisted getting aircon because, however efficient the units, it’s not exactly environmentally friendly. It’s getting so intolerably hot now though that I might have to go for it, at least in the bedroom and living room.

Our house is 'naturally' cooler because of quite a few 'modifications' that I've done over the years.

- Solar Panels on the roof, act as a thermal barrier so the sun isn't directly on the tiles

- 6mm laminate glass double glazing with heat reflective glass. Laminate is brilliant for keeping the heat out (or in, during Winter)

- White thermal 'blackout' blinds in all the rooms, fitted within the window reveal. These work really well. I've also installed a DIY guide channels each side to keep the heat from moving into the room.

- All my Solar Inverters & Battery Storage are on the North facing wall in the shade.

So things can be done.

Last edited:
Admiring the roof sun shades and wondering if they make the slightest bit of difference….

View attachment 827418
I have the Tesla sun shades, a mesh rather than a solid material, and I live in the South of France and we are in the middle of the heatwave...so I feel I am qualified to answer 😎...they make a huge difference ! Before, even in early spring, my brain would literally boil🤯...the sun coming in that huge glass M3 roof was unbearable from ear level and up...now it’s a very livable cabin...I think the solid shade (and some have a heat reflecting lining) would be even better 👍

• Informative
Reactions: page3 and ACarneiro
I have the Tesla sun shades, a mesh rather than a solid material, and I live in the South of France and we are in the middle of the heatwave...so I feel I am qualified to answer 😎...they make a huge difference ! Before, even in early spring, my brain would literally boil🤯...the sun coming in that huge glass M3 roof was unbearable from ear level and up...now it’s a very livable cabin...I think the solid shade (and some have a heat reflecting lining) would be even better 👍
Got to try them out yesterday and agree they make a big difference, especially since my hair “retired”. I think they made the cabin quieter too.

Reactions: Bouba
People don't seem to realise you can DIY install a mini split system. Many manufacturers sell pre-gassed ones, so really it's just a case of drilling a hole, feeding the supplied pipework through and mounting the internal and external units. As long as you have a spare socket near the location of the inside unit, you're laughing (getting a spark in to wire a bigger system into it's own spur is a good idea).

£350-£600 and you won't regret it, though you get what you pay for and it needs 2 strong people as the units are not light!
What a fantastic post !! I certainly didn’t know !

Thanks…
just for clarity this is the Tesla blind ?
1D9D377D-C945-464A-B687-0727E3FBD95B.png
8CC0DA9E-1996-4F6D-BB62-AC51239D2DFA.jpeg

People don't seem to realise you can DIY install a mini split system. Many manufacturers sell pre-gassed ones, so really it's just a case of drilling a hole, feeding the supplied pipework through and mounting the internal and external units. As long as you have a spare socket near the location of the inside unit, you're laughing (getting a spark in to wire a bigger system into it's own spur is a good idea).

£350-£600 and you won't regret it, though you get what you pay for and it needs 2 strong people as the units are not light!
Where are you getting this for £350-600?

Reactions: Smileysam
Don't hate me... but we've installed a Toshiba Heat Pump (air to air), with Toshiba Haori wall units in bedrooms, office & living room.

It's really really nice throughout the house, especially at bedtime and during the night as they're ultra quiet.

Highly recommended...

There was a 22 degree difference between the Conservatory and Living room earlier today 😀

I would never hate you for installing a heat pump

however having a conservatory . . . 🤣