Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else waiting a long time for spare aero wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order on 10/24 for 5 aero wheels + TPMS for a winter set (+1 to replace a curbed wheel). I did not want the Tesla winter bundle because I want to use different winter tires and the price is nearly identical to by the wheels/tires separately.

Order was placed with my service center. I received no E-mail confirmation so I don't have an order # to reference if I were to call Tesla direct. I called a few weeks back and they verified the order was in and still back ordered. They also said a few others were in the same situation. They could give no estimate when they will arrive.

Is anyone else having this same issue? This is frustrating because I really want to have winter tires by now and they can't give me any estimate on when they will arrive. I am asking because I don't know if this is an issue with Tesla supply or with my service center. I am wondering if contacting Tesla and trying to order direct would help? I can't find a local take-off set for sale which was my preferred path so I am stuck with buying new. Thanks!

I've looked for a take off set too, we're in the same market too so competitors.

Can I ask what you paid for each wheel and if included aero cover or not?

I figured there are multiple people looking for a spare set!

The wheels are $200/each, TPMS ~$70/each. I did not get an extra set of aero covers because I will share them with the "summer" set. I think they were <$100/each. Overall, wheels and TPMS + X-ice tires is about equivalent to the Tesla winter set that includes horribly outdated Pirelli tires. It's worth it to me, but the wait is frustrating.

I figured there are multiple people looking for a spare set!

The wheels are $200/each, TPMS ~$70/each. I did not get an extra set of aero covers because I will share them with the "summer" set. I think they were <$100/each. Overall, wheels and TPMS + X-ice tires is about equivalent to the Tesla winter set that includes horribly outdated Pirelli tires. It's worth it to me, but the wait is frustrating.

$200 each is a pretty good price for what I think is a high quality wheel. Agreed on no need for two aero cover sets, just wondered if they were included.

Plenty of folks on CL in California offering takeoffs for $1200 or less with little to no mileage on the stock 18" MXM4 tires, TPMS included.

Think of it as paying near-full price for the overpriced OEM tires and getting a wheel set w/ TPMS for free.

Or paying full price for the wheel set w/ TPMS and getting nearly-new OEM tires for free.

EDIT: I now see that OP specifically posted a non-California issue and was already looking for takeoffs. Market is much smaller there!

Colorado, keep an eye on Craigslist Texas, then do a weekend road trip south when you find a deal.

I like the 18 inch Tesla wheels minus aero covers, but I'm old school and like silver wheels. I also like to be able to put on the aero covers for road trips. I thought about it, and decided to get five 18" Model 3 wheels powder coated in brilliant silver.

I watched CL in Dallas and Austin for the past couple of months and a few sets came up in December. I negotiated a $1000 takeoff set down to $850 & a $900 takeoff set to $700. Each set had only 100 miles on the tires, all aero covers, no tpms, and one rashed wheel. Both sets in Dallas.

To offset costs, I sold one of the curb rashed wheel + tire for $200, one perfect wheel + tire for $260, and 7 aero covers for $25 each.

I now have 5 bare wheels in the powder coat shop, a full size rashed spare wheel+tire, 5 spare Michelin take offs, and one more aero cover, all for $940.

The powder coating is going to run $150 per wheel, btw. I can post pics later. Once they're done, I'll have my current tires and tpms transferred, and I'll sell the old 18" wheels for about $150 each on ebay. Well, except for the one I curbed last weekend... Oh well...