Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone ever extended their UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know why the 11-12 cords don't work? I thought J1772 was J1772...

Well, Tesla did some of their "own thing", and the 2011-2012 LEAF unit was a first generation product.

For example, J1772 was originally 30 amps, but Tesla lobbied SAE to bump that to 80 amps (USA only).

I don't remember the specific issue with the early LEAF unit, but I think it had to do with the pilot signal pulse wave modulation generator not producing a signal from the static 12 volts DC, which is then pulled down to 9 volts with the proximity signal, to then begin +9 volts and -12 volts. Instead, it's only 9 volts, and zero volts.

For whatever bizarro reason, I think the Tesla car (Rav4 EV, too) is looking for the negative signal, even though it's not used. Again, I may not have remembered this correctly, nor did I do the research to find the answer.

I just don't understand why you would do this -or- why anybody would fabricate an extension cord. You can buy this for $100. There is no degradation of current, I've used one at my second house for 18 months and it charges at 240/40 with nary a blip.

I bought that one too but I don't use it because it's bulky and heavy since it has an extra wire that is not used by the Tesla. Instead, I bought this cable:

6 3 SOOW So Cord 25 ft HD USA Portable Outdoor Indoor 600 V Flexible Wire Cable | eBay

And these ends:

Camco 55353 RV 50 Amp Electrical Cord Female Replacement Receptacle w Handle | eBay

Camco 55255 RV 50 Amp Electrical Cord Male Replacement Plug End w Handle | eBay

I removed the peg on the male plug that is not used by the Tesla which makes this plug fit both my range and dryer receptacles at my cabin. BUT, and it's a big BUT, you have to dial down the amps on the car when you plug it into a dryer outlet because it's 30 amps BUT the car will ask for 40 amps. So it's a fire risk if you forget to do this. It's also a risk if this extension cord is used for anything other than your Tesla (i.e. it could fry your RV).

Easy to build an extension cable out of SO 6/3 with 6-50 ends. Way more flexible and light weight than the Camco cable. You could also do 14-50 ends but run the risk of the cable being used improperly by something other than a Tesla.

Several Model S owners are commenting on this extension cord that it does well for extending the NEMA 14-50 without overheating etc:

Amazon.com: Camco 55195 50 AMP 30 Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle: Automotive

Haven't tried it myself yet but its in my wish list.

I just received one of these and wow does it seem to be beefy/heavy duty; along with being physically heavy!!!

Compare the diameter size of the UMC cord with the diameter of the extension cord in the picture.

If you don't need 30 feet you might consider the 15 foot cable, as it's probably half the weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55194-P...1&sr=1-1&keywords=Camco+50+AMP+Extension+Cord

Extension Cord.jpg

I just received one of these and wow does it seem to be beefy/heavy duty; along with being physically heavy!!!

Compare the diameter size of the UMC cord with the diameter of the extension cord in the picture.

If you don't need 30 feet you might consider the 15 foot cable, as it's probably half the weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55194-P...1&sr=1-1&keywords=Camco+50+AMP+Extension+Cord

View attachment 52775
Yep, I ended up buying that same thing. Also got 2 adapters off evseadapters.com...for the 14-30 and 10-30. That cord is super heavy, but this seems to be a decent 'general' solution. Just need to dial down the amps when using the adapters.