Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone from NY picked up Tesla in CA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So looking for someone that may have done this already.

I've looked into the NY side of the taxes and it looks like I may have to pay a little more my tax is 8% CA depending on where is a little more. FYI NY does have a reciprocal agreement with CA so I think I'm safe one the double tax thing. I know I'll eat anything over the 8%. Questions are did you have any trouble getting the $2000 NY state TAX rebate when you picked up in CA? Also I assume since the $7500 is a federal credit that wouldn't matter. Also I would assume if I did this CA would have some kind of temp tags so I could drive back to NY?

Also I know that this won't save me any delivery charges. I have a friend who lives in CA and would go out to visit schedule a factory tour and road trip back.

If you've done this with a Model S,X or 3 is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks for any info

A) CA??? the one closest to you (Canada) or the one furthest from you (California)
B) In either case you really are making registration hard.
C) You may see that some deliveries get stalled in the last few minutes, if delivered remotely, are you ready to use an airline ticket one week, and then have to do it again if the car delays at the last minute?

@ewoodrick

A) California, would like to do factory tour, make a memorable trip/experience
B) kind of why I was asking the question, is this really super difficult? If so what are some of the issues.
C) I'm ok with doing a last min. Airline ticket, planning on using credit card points. As for the last min. Delay I plan on staying/visiting a good friend so just means longer vacation lol.

Ok to add to my question has anyone picked up a Tesla using a dealer plate? If so did it change anything like the tax, tags, dmv, delivery charge at all? I would think that you would still have to pay CA tax even if you are out of state and picking up with dealer plates.