Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car delivery tomorrow in NY, my charger hasn't left CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm new here, been lurking for a few days.
I have a delivery appointment tomorrow (4/13) in Mt Kisco NY. UPS Tracking says my Tesla charger has a shipping label printed, but that's it. Label was printed on 4/7, the day I ordered the car. I emailed [email protected], but I got an auto-reply saying they would get back to me in 5 days or less. I'm in a jam here, a new Tesla, but no charger in sight. It would probably be another week to get an electrician for the install once I got the charger.
Any suggestions? I have not paid for the car yet, do I have any leverage with the dealer?

Thanks in advance!

well, I bought my TESLA 3, two years ago from the Mt. Kisco Agency and they have what appears to be a 50/60 AMP charger in front of their showroom. I might suggest that you ask them for permission to charge your new car by appointment there. The car comes with charging cables and adapters (I believe, or you can order and pay for the kit at the Dealership). The kit will allow you to charge abeit less rapidly at non TESLA charging stations in Katonah and also in Bedford. The i-phone app "Plugshare" will show you all the TESLA and non-TESLA charging stations in your neighborhood. If you happen to have a 240v 30 AMP electrical outlet in your garage that serves an electric clothes drywer, there is an adaptor that you can purchase that will allow you to use the power cable that comes with your TESLA to plug into your electric clothes dryer. Finally the same adaptor that you could use for your electric clothes dryer can be used at RV Parks all over the country. I would reccomend that you take some time to peruse the internet to discover all the ways you can find power for your new electric vehicle, but remember to never charge the battery more than 80% unless you're planning to depart immediately after you charge it to 100% and leaving the car fully charged at 100% and not using the car and storing it with a 100% charge will degrade the battery.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Thanks you for your reply. I live in Brewster, so daily charging in Mt. Kisco is not an option. I do have an unused 240 outlet from an old clothes dryer that is now natural gas. It's a NEMA 10-30 socket. I will be receiving the wall adapter tomorrow per UPS tracking, but that doesn't include a 10-30 plug. Mt. Kisco has that adapter plug in stock, but it's another $45.
I have 2 or 3 skeptical friends who are just waiting to hear something went wrong, but that's another story.
It's just frustrating that the wall charger has had a UPS shipping label for almost a week, but it still hasn't shipped. And no one at Tesla can help me.

Ok. A few things. In no particular order:
  • Location of Superchargers. When you get the car, tap the NAV screen. There’ll be a lightning bolt symbol on the right. Tap that and you’ll be able to see Superchargers around you, left, right, and center, with Red icons telling you how many stalls are free. Tapping one of those icons will tell you the cost per kW-hr, and how it varies over time. (Weird hours cost less than busy hours, etc.) Another real good resource is supercharge.info, which’ll show not only the superchargers across the landscape, the number of stalls, and the power level, but also which ones are under construction or planned.
  • For charging at 240VAC, the rough calculation is the number of amps delivered to the car is the number of miles of charge per hour. I happen to have a Wall Connector (the thing you’re waiting on) on a 60A circuit. NEC code says max current on a circuit with a heavy, steady load (that’s all of us with BEVs) is 80% of the circuit rating. In my case, 80% of 60A is 48A. In your case, if you’re talking a 30A circuit, you’ll get 24A, for roughly 24 miles of charge per hour. But that’s not as bad as it sounds. Suppose you want to put 150 miles on the car; plug her in and a little over 6 hours later she’s full up. And, point: Ya gotta sleep sometime, so that’s when you do it. In the morning the car’s full and you’re (typically) good for another day or three, depending upon your commute. One of the beauties of owning a Tesla is never waiting in line at a gas station, or having to go to one, ever: the car’s nearly always charged, so long as you remember to plug it in.
  • Dunno if you’ve got a LR or P, but the SRs come with a smaller battery. They also come with a smaller built-in charger, to match, and said charger on that kind of car has a max input current of 32A. (And makes the car cheaper, which is good for your wallet.) So even if you get a Wall Connector on a 60A circuit, you’re not gonna get 48A; 32A max is where you’ll be. In which case, that 30A socket you’ve got isn’t all that much different at 24A from the WC.
  • Finally: what you’ll get with the car (or buy from the Service Center when you get the car) will be a fabric bag with a Mobile Connector in it. That will, at minimum, have the bog-standard NEMA5-15 120VAC adapter. That’ll charge at 120VAC at 12A (that 80% bit again) and give you 4 or 5 miles of charge per hour. Not wonderful, but, say, 8 or 10 hours of not driving gives one between 24 to 50 miles of charge, which ain’t zero.
  • The other thing that comes in that fabric bag is a J1772 adapter that allows one to charge at 240VAC at public charging stations far and wide. Some of these are free; most cost something. And, often, one’s place of employment often has some of those stations scattered around the parking lot. Where I used to work had four of these reserved for employees. Those happened to charge below market rates for electricity, which meant that the other people who had BEVs or plug-in hybrids would charge there rather than home, given the chance. Further, many malls, big box stores, and, weirdly enough, Whole Foods would usually have a number of these J1772 stations. Boston’s pay-for parking lots are littered with the things. For finding these things, PlugShare.com (and the app) is your friend.
In summary: back in ye olden days finding a decent charging solution used to be a bit of a challenge. Unless you’re in the serious boonies, nowadays there’s almost too many options to get electrons into a Tesla. Especially if you own a house and know an electrician 😁 .

C'mon man, there's an 8-bay supercharger at the Dunkin Donuts IN Brewster!

I know. My main point was that the wall charger I paid for hasn't left California yet, and now it's been 7 days since they printed the UPS shipping label.
I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and how they handled it with the dealer at delivery time.

But anyway, I took delivery yesterday, and all went well. UPS tracking says the the plug-in-to-the wall cable will be here today. I have an unused NEMA 10-30 outlet in the laundry room next to the garage, but the Tesla cable does not come with the 10-30 adapter. I called Mt Kisco Tesla and they said they had them in stock for $45. When I got there they looked for the adapter, but their stock was depleted, even though the computer said they were in inventory. Oops!
The White Plains dealer (a half hour away) had them is stock so the had one sent by Uber for no extra charge. It was there in about 45 minutes. That was no big deal because I was pairing my phone, etc.

Not happy about the 5 day response time from Tesla about what is happening to my order, but I was impressed by the effort of the dealer to get me the adapter. I think they stepped up to the plate.

Last but not least, the car is a blast, on that point I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: father_of_6
C'mon man, there's an 8-bay supercharger at the Dunkin Donuts IN Brewster!

I know. My main point was that the wall charger I paid for hasn't left California yet, and now it's been 7 days since they printed the UPS shipping label.
I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and how they handled it with the dealer at delivery time.

But anyway, I took delivery yesterday, and all went well. UPS tracking says the the plug-in-to-the wall cable will be here today. I have an unused NEMA 10-30 outlet in the laundry room next to the garage, but the Tesla cable does not come with the 10-30 adapter. I called Mt Kisco Tesla and they said they had them in stock for $45. When I got there they looked for the adapter, but their stock was depleted, even though the computer said they were in inventory. Oops!
The White Plains dealer (a half hour away) had them is stock so the had one sent by Uber for no extra charge. It was there in about 45 minutes. That was no big deal because I was pairing my phone, etc.

Not happy about the 5 day response time from Tesla about what is happening to my order, but I was impressed by the effort of the dealer to get me the adapter. I think they stepped up to the plate.

Last but not least, the car is a blast, on that point I couldn't be happier.
Glad to hear you're liking the car: Watch out for the neck-snap muscle pull when it gets floored! 😁.

For what it's worth: Back in 2018 I came to the sudden realization that, with a car on the way, having the Wall Connector was going to be Important. The local Service Center in Springfield, NJ had them in stock for $500 a pop, so I hopped in the car, motored on over, and got the thing. It was almost a month later before the SO and I organized an electrician who did the actual work.

Regarding availability: In the five years since then, WC's have been plentiful; WC's have been Out of Stock with long wait times; and everything in between. I've been hanging out on this and another Tesla forum so one hears the complaints when they're hard to get, etc. Yours is the first, "I can't get my hands on this thing!" in a bit. Hence, I suspect Tesla's having a bit of trouble keeping up. Right now. Ask people again in a month and you'll likely get a different answer.

Not exactly surprising that Tesla's having some issues keeping up with demand; They are selling an absolute boatload of cars, doubling production in roughly a year, for the past couple-three years, madly. (Hanging out in the Investors' Forum here at TMC is something of an eye-opener; the Production and Delivery reports and the quarterly earnings reports will make the eyes water of those who can read financial reports.)

If I were you, I'd relax a bit. Use the NEMA10-30 in the adjacent room; you're not going to run out of electrons. The WC will get to you when it gets to you.

One final couple of comments about installation:
  • I actually hired a Tesla-approved Electrician for the install. There's this list one can get from the web site or, sometimes, the Service Center. They charged around $500 for the install, not including the WC which I brought to the party. Interesting bit #1: They took pictures of the work they were doing: Wires attached, where, on the breaker panel and in the WC itself. Bit #2: Later, when I got an electronic receipt from these fellows, there was a link in there to a site in the tesla.com area: And there were those same pictures. My suspicion: Tesla was mandating those pictures so, if somebody got something wrong, the remote Tesla techie might be able to Do Something. But there's been zero problems with the equipment since it was installed 4.5 years ago, so what the heck.
  • A co-worker of mine decided to go for a M3 about six months after I had gotten mine, and also decided to get a WC. (In his case, he had every reason to zip to a Tesla: A 80-mile commute really saves on the money when one is electric, and work had a subsidized charging station on-site.) So, he snagged, as he and I later figured out, a $RANDOM electrician who, it appears, did not happen to be a Tesla-certified type. Now, I'm one of the strange anal-retentive types who, given a manual for something, has a tendency to read it from cover to cover. And, if not restrained, take notes. So, I read the WC manual in some detail, in particular looking for Warning Messages. On the Gen 2 WC, there was one in there that I noted: "Do not move the rotary switches when AC power is applied!". This $RANDOM electrician was not the type to read, apparently did that thing, took his money, and Left Town very speedily indeed. At which point my co-worker discovered that his spanking new WC was toast with red lights all over.
So, there's this phone number for Problems in the Manual. My co-worker fell off his chair when, on the second ring, a >>Human!<< picked up the phone. After a bit of remote troubleshooting through the car via Tesla's Mothership, the techie on the phone agreed that the WC was toast and drop-shipped my co-worker a new one. He got it a couple of days later and, being exceedingly technically competent, installed it, following any and all warning messages. Dunno if he told the Tesla tech that it was possible that the $RANDOM electrician appeared to be a nitwit or not; but he returned the busted one and, as far as I know, is still using the replacement.​
Dunno if you'll get the same response from Tesla nowadays; the company's a lot bigger. But, if you use an electrician, make sure you use a licensed one and not some random gonzo in a truck. Don't know what the permitting deal is in NY; where I live in NJ they do require a permit for something like this, but it's after the fact, not before.

Good luck!

Tronguy,
Thanks for your insights. I will be contacting an authorized Tesla installer after reading what you had to say.

I got an email from sales support saying they would expedite another charger, since they can't account for where the original one is. Well, guess what?
As of last night the original charger is finally on it's way! Now I have 2 chargers coming. Go figure.

Tronguy,
Thanks for your insights. I will be contacting an authorized Tesla installer after reading what you had to say.

I got an email from sales support saying they would expedite another charger, since they can't account for where the original one is. Well, guess what?
As of last night the original charger is finally on it's way! Now I have 2 chargers coming. Go figure.
Cool. In my experience, Tesla has almost always made it right. (There are others with different opinions around here, so I guess I've been lucky.)

A couple more things about the WC install.

So, a proper electrician, before installing something that draws Significant Power, will do a Load Analysis on the breaker panel. I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of this, but the basics are pretty obvious. At one end, if one has a 60A breaker panel from the mid-40's in one house, pretty obviously adding an additional 60A breaker is Right Out. At the other end, if one has a 400A breaker panel with a zillion empty slots, people are going, "Problem? What problem?" 😁 . Somewhere in between serious electricians look at what's plugged into the house, do some kind of calculation, and then bless (or not bless) the installation. In my case I took pictures of the breaker panel (200A) and its fill; what with the labels saying what-was-what, the install of an additional 60A, 240VAC dual breaker was apparently not a problem.

Others around here haven't been as lucky. I've personally seen 100A service breaker panels where there was But One additional slot open; for some others, bringing down bigger, thicker wires from the utility pole (or whatever), doing heroic things to the breaker panels and surrounds (sub-panels?), and so on has happened. In New Jersey, there are government-sponsored programs that recompense the homeowner/utility for either the WC install, the upgrade of the breaker panel, the wiring from the utility (if required), or all three. Lemmee see.. Yep: Charge NY Program - NYSERDA.

In your case, you clearly have a 30A 240VAC dual-breaker that's not being used. But you won't be able to use that with a 32A or 48A load, the wire is exceedingly unlikely to be thick enough. But this is why one talks to an electrician: They can legitimately tell one the ins, outs, and costs of all this stuff, as compared to near-gonzo like myself.

Final comment, which you can file in the nearest trashcan: If you haven't considered solar power on the roof before now, it might be worth considering. Back in 2008 the SO and I plunged into the fun and put some 9.6 kW of solar panels on the roof that generate somewhere between 10 MW-hr to 12 MW-hr of electrical energy a year. Yeah, government subsidies, some from the feds, some from the state. But the cost of such an installation has dropped about 3X to 4X from what we paid back in the day. All of which means that we don't generally pay for electricity, except for the paltry $5/month connection fee. For the two BEV cars we typically get around 6000 miles a year of free kayoodling across the landscape before having to pay anything. And inflation on electric prices doesn't seem to affect us :). And a similar installation would be around $12k or so these days, what with the drop in prices.

In our case it helped that we had a south-facing roof, with no tree-shading, and almost the exact right angle so the panels face the sun dead-on twice a year; most everybody else isn't that lucky. Like I said, it's a idea that you're free to ditch, but it's kind of great that we drive our cars around on Nuclear (Fusion) power from that great big splotch in the sky. And sell the excess energy for (not all that much) money to the local utility.

From my experience as an industrial maintenance mechanic, the picture that was taken of the breaker panel was from an infra-red camera. It will show hot spots in the panel, indicating an unusual current draw.

BTW I found the Tesla page with the authorized installers listed. I typed in my ZIP code and over a dozen popped up. I chose the closest one, and clicked on the link their website. Submitted a proposal so we'll see what happens. I appreciate the advice and after some thought, I think this is the best way to go.
Also, I always assumed they are going to have to run new wiring.

And thanks for the link above. I have NYSE&G and I did not know they had a nightime off-peak rate for EV costumers. You have to apply and send a copy of your electric bill and EV registration. Once you have done that, you're in.

From my experience as an industrial maintenance mechanic, the picture that was taken of the breaker panel was from an infra-red camera. It will show hot spots in the panel, indicating an unusual current draw.

No biggie, but I had fun watching the electricians do their bit in the garage. They did take pictures all over, but the acid test (plug the WC into the car and watch it charge) was after everything in creation was sealed up. All the pictures were just of naked breakers and screws with wires stuck into the appropriate spots and torqued down. Like I said, handy for diagnosing odd issues (ground instead of a hot and that kind of thing), or so I thought.

I've tried using an IR camera a couple of times in my work (EE picking up the bent and burnt pieces from failed field returns and figuring out why, darn it, why?) but never had much success, mainly because the current levels were too low. It's fun playing with dendrites scattered over a backplane; the blame things are so thin that a high-quality, high magnification binocular microscope can't quite make them out; one has to use an electron microscope instead :).